G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Is it a transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it a transmission issue?

Hello Everyone,
I am having this problem on my 2006 G35X AWD whenever I startup the car. the problem occurs only after startup and then I don't feel anything. The car has now 94K. So whenever I start the car and start driving, I feel/hear a scratching noise when it shifts from 1 to 2 and that's it. After this noise, the car is fine and the transmission is very responsive. I should also mention that this problem does not happen all the time, ONLY sometimes after startup. If it didn't happen after startup, it doesn't happen at all when driving. I am really confused about this issue and I took the car to Infiniti dealership and they said that the heat shield under the transmission was lose and they re-secured it. The problem didn't go away and I still feel it sometimes after startup. What really confuses me is why this is happening only after startup? Why not in the middle of the road? And if it didn't happen after startup, everything is fine. I should also mention that startup doesn't necessarily mean in the morning, it can be any time during the day. Have you ever experienced something like that? What do you suggest? Can you please share your opinions?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
More than likely you're experiencing the ABS self test which occurs around 10 mph every time you start the car and drive it. It'll make a slight grinding noise and you'll feel the brake pedal vibrate briefly if your foot is on it. It's perfectly normal but freaks out a lot of new G owners because they have no idea what it is.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
More than likely you're experiencing the ABS self test which occurs around 10 mph every time you start the car and drive it. It'll make a slight grinding noise and you'll feel the brake pedal vibrate briefly if your foot is on it. It's perfectly normal but freaks out a lot of new G owners because they have no idea what it is.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the car is gonna keep doing that? Is there a way to fix this issue with the ABS Self test so it can run smoother?
I dont know if I'm asking the right questions but this noise really freaks me out as if something is really bad going to break the car.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It should be a comforting feeling you get, not a creepy one. It lets you know all is well with the system and you should worry when you don't hear it, not when you do. You'll probably get used to it quickly since you now know what causes it.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 PM
It should be a comforting feeling you get, not a creepy one. It lets you know all is well with the system and you should worry when you don't hear it, not when you do. You'll probably get used to it quickly since you now know what causes it.
When I first purchased the car last week, I didnt hear or feel that noise for like about 2 days until my "idiot" brother in law wanted to drive it and he really drove like it was a race car (He only test drove it though for about 5 min). After that day I started to hear/feel that noise after I start up the car. Also, when I didnt hear it, No ABS lights were on. Now sometimes I hear it, sometimes I dont. Should I take for inspection?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 PM
I should also mention that I hear a grinding noise whenever I start my 2004 Camry V6 and I can feel it's coming from the wheels or brakes maybe, but this noise is different; it's like scratching two metals together. Anyways, you seem like you know better than I do. Thanks for your replies.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just verify that it is indeed the abs motor making the sound, you can reproduce it 100% of the time by turning the car off, then on, and going for a short drive. The moment you hit 10mph it primes the abs motor for exactly one second. It sounds like a "grinding" sound that comes from the brake master cylinder, this means it's working properly. It will also turn the motor on anytime is actuates the antilock brakes.

Windows down makes it very easy to hear.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-11-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
My Accord does that. Drove me crazy when I first got the car until I found out what it was.