G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fuel gauge reads incorrect levels.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gauge reads incorrect levels.

2005 G35X -- fuel gauge usually goes straight to "full" when key is turned on. Sometimes will read 1/4 tank more than is actually in the tank. The gauge itself seems to be working. Per a few YouTube videos, I removed both the left and right sensors and cleaned the very light build-up off of the contacts. Upon start-up, the gas gauge goes to FULL . I suppose I need to replace the sensor but I don't know which one sends the fuel level signal to the gauge and if the other one is the "low fuel" warning indicator.
Any "pointers" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by ERASER
2005 G35X -- fuel gauge usually goes straight to "full" when key is turned on. Sometimes will read 1/4 tank more than is actually in the tank. The gauge itself seems to be working. Per a few YouTube videos, I removed both the left and right sensors and cleaned the very light build-up off of the contacts. Upon start-up, the gas gauge goes to FULL . I suppose I need to replace the sensor but I don't know which one sends the fuel level signal to the gauge and if the other one is the "low fuel" warning indicator.
Any "pointers" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
You obviously did not spend very much time searching prior to posting?

https://g35driver.com/forums/m-spot/...ml#post7144252

Grab you multimeter and test the resistance of the sensors

Telcoman

Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Telcoman:

Thanks for the quick reply and very helpful link!

I'm an old guy who remembers when cars only had one float in the gas tank! SURPRISE!!!

I was just hoping someone could tell me which of the two float/sensors sends the fuel level signal to the gauge and I would just buy a replacement. Then I would only need to tear into the car once.
I really didn't want to replace both sets if only one was bad. I was thinking that perhaps the two float/sensors meant that one was for fuel level and the other was for the low-fuel indicator. If that's true, I don't know which of the two is the fuel level one.

I had just located this website and got a large pop-up window that said: "Ask a Question" and so I did. I kinda thought it was an online chat/help line so I didn't do a search. I'm sorry about that.

Thanks again,

Frank

Old 08-09-2018, 06:36 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Frank no harm no foul, your question is a commonly asked one and our forum rules do state to search for answers before posting questions. However in this case you just followed the process as it guided you so I understand why the question was asked.

Honestly I don't remember after being here so long (I'm an old guy too) which unit under the back seats controls the fuel level but I've linked you to a page of threads that will help figure out your issue. Look for the thread started by turTLe titled "Fuel gauge problem. Detailed." Let us know how it all works out and welcome to the family, this forum is the best source of information on the Internet you will find on all things G.

https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=17787601

Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Blue Dream:

Thanks for the info!!!

I've had to put that on hold...........apparently a possum decided to hang out between my fan belt the other day.......argh.

Thanks again,

Frank

Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No worries, I've learned more about our G in the 9 years I've been here than I would have ever expected. The journey's been a blast, she's at 147K miles and I've done most of the R&M on the car in that time. When I bought her in 09 I had absolutely no idea how to do anything on the car but it's been a rewarding experience to fix most of her issues. The car's the girlfriend's now and she actually works on the car with me at times, she's awesome like that!