G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Walker camshaft position sensor?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kelman81
Very good research and first hand info, thank you both!
Let us know if you do double check the old and new side by side. Dude at Hitachi said they make'em and Nissan stamps their name/#'s on'em. Still, why did he get his from Z1? Couldn't get a straight answer.
I returned the duracraps tonight so now I'm free-ball'n. Guy at autozone has a G and said he always gets oem sensors, always.
There's quite a difference in cost between the hitachi and oem, even oem from Z1. It would be nice to know the actual manufacturer of these things so we can bypass Nissan's markup.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If I had to make a wild guess or speculation based on how I've seen sourced parts work in the past. The manufacturer makes the part in bulk orders that are delivered to the purchaser who then runs the component through their own (usually even more demanding spec) quality assurance program and then sells the items off as an assembly listed for use that includes OEM stampings as well as the QA stamping done by the purchaser so it's very likely that Hitachi had the original contract for a number of years and then Delphi won the contract or perhaps even Hitachi had ONE sensor and Delphi had THE OTHER sensor. Once Nissan received the shipment they were subjected to another set of QA tests which eliminated some of the high/low outliers, and added the extra testing cost and junk bin into their final price. This would explain why the ACTUAL OEM sensors last so much longer, they are subject to even more testing scrutiny even tho they share the exact same markings as the ones purchased directly from the original manufacturer and the added testing increased the overall cost of the item.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Well, we really don't know if the oem sensors last so much longer than this Hitachi unit, or do we? Are there others that have used the Hitachi with/without issue? I've read about "aftermarket" sensors but I don't recall Hitachi being mentioned specifically. As for the price, it goes up when Nissan/Infiniti dealers sell it. Obscene markups. Really criminal imo.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Totally agree about dealership markup. I hope that whatever greedy son of a bitch decided to generate a steep profit on the cost of OEM repair components burns in hell.

Edit: this is.one of the few things I absolutely LOVE about Tesla, zero markup on OEM components sold to customers.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-24-2020)
Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Totally agree about dealership markup. I hope that whatever greedy son of a bitch decided to generate a steep profit on the cost of OEM repair components burns in hell.

Edit: this is.one of the few things I absolutely LOVE about Tesla, zero markup on OEM components sold to customers.
Amen to that. I got shafted $160 total for the driver side sensor (and that was AFTER noting I could get OEM from Z1 for $100). Unfortunately I needed the sensor that day, as my car had decided to die at 40mph in traffic, and having it out of commission wasn't an option.

I can count on one hand the dealerships/service advisors/ service managers I've met that actually try to help the customer and not just make a commission cut.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM
I spoke with George who's a materials manager for Hitachi USA in GA. We spoke for about 10 minutes which is how long it took to ask some of the same questions in several ways to get the answers.

He said Unisia was the orginal maker before Hitachi bought'em out. This logo should be stamped on the earlier sensors, this and what looks like a rising sun.

A Hitachi product made for the Nissan or Infiniti brand is sold only by Nissan or Infiniti, period. Hitachi is contractually obligated to sell to them direct. Any Hitachi product not sold by these two is either used, stolen, bought by Joe Blow and never installed or a fake Chinese knock-off. So that's that.

George said he's got several nice cars. He said he's noticed on his Porsche, for example, that often times it's not the sensor that's the issue but something else, like the connection. I find this interesting as I've read others write about oil and dirt inside the plug. George said over the years **** can infiltrate the plug which would explain why when I got my p0345 pending code for a cam. pos. sensor, I got the vacuum hose off the wires then reconnecting the plug that I haven't had a single issue since. Either the hose pressing down on the wires was the issue OR reconnecting the plug was just enough to reestablish the connection between pins and receptacles.

Next time I get a sensor issue, I'm going to clean the sensor and plug, clear the code and see what happens. If its still an issue, replace the sensor with oem. Easy peasy.
Which brings me to the question, if this is true, is my Hitachi 75mm throttle body bought from Rock Auto a Chinese copy? The thing works, no problems.

Last edited by onevq35de; 10-08-2018 at 10:17 AM.
cswlightning (10-18-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G35 Sedan Leather Base, Z1 Plenum Spacer, Z Tube (Currently sold to a friend)
Originally Posted by onevq35de

A Hitachi product made for the Nissan or Infiniti brand is sold only by Nissan or Infiniti, period. Hitachi is contractually obligated to sell to them direct. Any Hitachi product not sold by these two is either used, stolen, bought by Joe Blow and never installed or a fake Chinese knock-off. So that's that.
Maybe, but not always the case. Supplier contracts can be modified and suppliers sometimes already have modifier rights to buy back inventory if the retailer (Nissan) no longer wants it as in they have too much. Likely the case as Infiniti's support of a 15 year old vehicle is likely dwindling.
A good example of this is from my years with Toyotas and first and second gen MR2s. Aisin is the only OEM manufacturer of water pumps. Today you can no longer get water pumps from Toyota at $300 but you can buy them from Aisin for $80. The units you get from Aisin originally had a Toyota name cast into the body, but they have been scratched off by hand. Since they had the Toyota casting on them, they were originally intended for Toyota inventory.

The Hitachi sensors come in genuine Hitachi packaging and bar coding. I doubt some grey market thief or Chinese ripoff company would go through the hassle of replicating such packaging. These Hitachi sensors were probably made for Nissan originally but Hitachi held the inventory or bought them back so they could sell.

onevq35de (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Maybe, but not always the case. Supplier contracts can be modified and suppliers sometimes already have modifier rights to buy back inventory if the retailer (Nissan) no longer wants it as in they have too much. Likely the case as Infiniti's support of a 15 year old vehicle is likely dwindling.
A good example of this is from my years with Toyotas and first and second gen MR2s. Aisin is the only OEM manufacturer of water pumps. Today you can no longer get water pumps from Toyota at $300 but you can buy them from Aisin for $80. The units you get from Aisin originally had a Toyota name cast into the body, but they have been scratched off by hand. Since they had the Toyota casting on them, they were originally intended for Toyota inventory.
The Hitachi sensors come in genuine Hitachi packaging and bar coding. I doubt some grey market thief or Chinese ripoff company would go through the hassle of replicating such packaging. These Hitachi sensors were probably made for Nissan originally but Hitachi held the inventory or bought them back so they could sell.
Alright. Thanks for the reply. What you've written might be promising.

I vape. It helped me quit smoking. My tank, which is the part of the mod that holds the juice is an Aspire Nautilus Mini. The coils which absorb the juice and are responsible for the vapor sit in the tank. Many components involved with vaping are faked. There are fake coils being sold all over the place, unless one buys them from somewhere that gets'em direct, one knows not what one has got. Fakes are so hard to detect that there is a scratch-off on the back of the box with a serial number that one can plug into Aspires site to see if they're legit. I check'em frequently.

Chinese companies go to great lengths to mass produce copies of all kinds of ****, even cheap little vapor coils that cost $9 for a pack of 5. Big bidness ya'll.

Where did you get your sensors? You've got bar codes so are you willing to give me (pm if you want) the numbers associated with the bar code? Maybe I can use those to verify them with Hitachi.

If these are legit then any sensors made by Hitachi (assuming they are Hitachi) for Nissan/Infiniti models should be good to go at a fraction of the dealers cost.

Last edited by onevq35de; 10-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The contract likely had an expiration date after which Hitachi was free to sell the sensors themselves. Since those sensors are an older revision and not even sold through the dealership anymore (revision D supersedes all other sensors) there's a really good chance they're legit.

I guess it's just such an old habit from being an electrician but every time I take a harness apart I spray both ends with CRC RED CAN contact cleaner.

NEVER USE CRC BLUE CAN CONTACT CLEANER for automotive use!!! It will dissolve plastic.

Green can is non-clorinated and doesn't work as well but safer for your skin if you refuse to wear gloves when working on vehicles.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Rock Auto and Auto Parts Geek are both referring to the Hitachi as "actual oe part". Saaaweeeeet.

Rock Auto's got the best price. 2003 INFINITI FX35 3.5L V6

Ignition : Camshaft Position Sensor

HITACHI CPS0008 {#CPS0002} Info Right; Actual OE Part $42.79

HITACHI CPS0005 {#23731AL615, 23731AL616, 23731AL61A} Info Left; Actual OE Part$43.79

Ignition : Crankshaft Position Sensor
HITACHI CPS0006 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info Actual OE Part$40.79

Last edited by onevq35de; 10-08-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Alright. Thanks for the reply. What you've written might be promising.

I vape. It helped me quit smoking. My tank, which is the part of the mod that holds the juice is an Aspire Nautilus Mini. The coils which absorb the juice and are responsible for the vapor sit in the tank. Many components involved with vaping are faked. There are fake coils being sold all over the place, unless one buys them from somewhere that gets'em direct, one knows not what one has got. Fakes are so hard to detect that there is a scratch-off on the back of the box with a serial number that one can plug into Aspires site to see if they're legit. I check'em frequently.

Chinese companies go to great lengths to mass produce copies of all kinds of ****, even cheap little vapor coils that cost $9 for a pack of 5. Big bidness ya'll.

Where did you get your sensors? You've got bar codes so are you willing to give me (pm if you want) the numbers associated with the bar code? Maybe I can use those to verify them with Hitachi.

If these are legit then any sensors made by Hitachi (assuming they are Hitachi) for Nissan/Infiniti models should be good to go at a fraction of the dealers cost.
Sure, I will post a picture of the boxes tonight. I haven't wanted to get back into the engine and pull the sensor yet, everytime I have a moment to do that I'm working on something else. I bought these Hitachi units from RockAuto. Only reason I picked them was they said "Actual OE Part," but like others here I still want to find out for sure.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Sure, I will post a picture of the boxes tonight. I haven't wanted to get back into the engine and pull the sensor yet, everytime I have a moment to do that I'm working on something else. I bought these Hitachi units from RockAuto. Only reason I picked them was they said "Actual OE Part," but like others here I still want to find out for sure.
The #'s on the bar code are probably the only #'s to go by and if they're traceable, I don't think you'll need to pull the sensors back out.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Bar code

The #'s on the bar code are probably the only #'s to go by and if they're traceable, I don't think you'll need to pull the sensors back out.
the passenger side box was convenient and still on my work bench, so I snapped a few pics. This is what I recently ordered from RockAuto.

onevq35de (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks. I'll do what I must to verify the #'s with Hitachi tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM
I called the GA manufacturing facility again. Operator gave me the LA number for "Aftermarket". The GA facility sells to auto manufacturers and the LA one deals with aftermarket. The operator told me she believes that the sensors sold at the aftermarket facility in LA are the exact same ones sold to the auto man's. from GA. I will call HITACHI AFTERMARKET in LA 949-471-3500 this afternoon to verify the #'s but it's looks like your Hitachi sensor is 100% oem and legit.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walker camshaft position sensor?