G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Well time for my next issue...engine rattle (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/465349-well-time-my-next-issue-engine-rattle.html)

mjoc13 12-02-2018 03:39 PM

Well time for my next issue...engine rattle

Hi All,

Looking over to you guys before i start to fix or put more money and time into this g.

A couple days ago i started to hear the following around 2-2500 rpm mark, i've parked the car until i figure out next steps.
From my research it 'might' be the timing chain tensioner...thoughts?

cheers!

Blue Dream 12-02-2018 05:25 PM

I don't want to be the harbinger of doom but that sounds a LOT like rod knock. If in fact that's the issue your motor's toast. I can't think of any other engine problem that sounds like rod knock.

eazdaskeez 12-02-2018 06:05 PM

Yup that's the tap of doom. Sorry bro 😔

onevq35de 12-02-2018 06:48 PM

Does anyone have any ghee for that piece of toast? :eek:

mjoc13 12-02-2018 07:02 PM

this is not what i wanted to hear...:icon09:
wouldn't the rod knock be present all the time though?

onevq35de 12-02-2018 07:21 PM

If you used a stethoscope you'd hear it at low rpm's. Get it checked out by someone worth a spit in person to be sure. I would.

Blue Dream 12-03-2018 07:48 AM

In my experience it usually starts out quietly then gets progressively louder the more the motor's run.

mjoc13 12-04-2018 12:29 AM

well i called around and can dump another ~1500$ into this for a motor with 90k kms, or cut my losses and try and find something else.
Sad...i was starting to get all the other lil gremlins out of it, and starting to enjoy it.

eazdaskeez 12-04-2018 07:08 AM

That's engine and labor?

mjoc13 12-04-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by eazdaskeez (Post 7156567)
That's engine and labor?

ya apparently thats all in...
if i go this route, i'd want to look at the timing chain and components while the motor is out.

also thinking of going a different car - lexus IS series or BMW 3 series. Just not sure i want to drop even more money.

jparker7269 12-04-2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mjoc13 (Post 7156572)
ya apparently thats all in...
if i go this route, i'd want to look at the timing chain and components while the motor is out.

also thinking of going a different car - lexus IS series or BMW 3 series. Just not sure i want to drop even more money.

Fix the G, they're good cars. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I'd avoid a BMW like the plague unless you have deep pockets and like working on cars.

Scottwax 12-05-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jparker7269 (Post 7156612)
Fix the G, they're good cars. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I'd avoid a BMW like the plague unless you have deep pockets and like working on cars.

Nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW. My son got a free 323 from his future father in law, within 6 weeks he was putting in a new motor because the head gasket went and it wasn't that much more to put in a lower mileage (by a lot!) engine vs fixing the head gasket. A month later the transmission cooler lines broke. Window regulator failed on a 9 degree morning and left the driver's window stuck down. Trim pieces were cracking (saw that the other day on a 2011 535 I was detailing...all the plastic at the base of the windshield was cracked), just one thing after another. My brother owns a 2008 E93 335. That's gone once the extended warranty is up even though he loves the car. He's seen how much the warranty has already save him.

coffeysm 12-05-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax (Post 7156664)
Nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW. My son got a free 323 from his future father in law, within 6 weeks he was putting in a new motor because the head gasket went and it wasn't that much more to put in a lower mileage (by a lot!) engine vs fixing the head gasket. A month later the transmission cooler lines broke. Window regulator failed on a 9 degree morning and left the driver's window stuck down. Trim pieces were cracking (saw that the other day on a 2011 535 I was detailing...all the plastic at the base of the windshield was cracked), just one thing after another. My brother owns a 2008 E93 335. That's gone once the extended warranty is up even though he loves the car. He's seen how much the warranty has already save him.

I think all European cars are like that; I got an 04 Audi A4 Quattro a few years ago from my future in-laws as well for free. I've had to do all the shocks, suspension (4 control arms per side!), master window switch, numerous window regulators, inner/outer tie rods, drive shaft, timing belt, ps cooler rubbed a hole in it, water pump, alternator, and it has intermittent electric issues. It does need a steering rack and I need to put it in the new ps reservoir I bought as well, but I'll wait until it stops working completely before tackling that PITA.

mjoc13 02-20-2019 11:06 PM

quick update for those following this...

Motor is in, running good!
Couple things i noticed:
* heat in the cabin doesn't get as hot as it used to (maybe thermostat)
* on start up after a few seconds i see some whitish smoke coming out, it seems to go away after some time (i'm monitoring coolant levels).
It feels really weird to not hear the start-up timing chain rattle lol :)

Blue Dream 02-21-2019 05:25 AM

The heat issue is more than likely air still trapped in the cooling system. You've probably read on here that our cars are notoriously hard to bleed all the air out on a coolant change. Squeeze, carefully, both the upper and lower radiator hoses when the engine's up to temp. They should both be firm and hot, also make sure you use the bleed plastic screw on the back passenger side of the motor to check for any residual air as well.