G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fender flares on a sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fender flares on a sedan?

So I’m considering buying some clinched flares for my rear fenders only I’m just wondering if anyone on here is running some on their sedan? I’m buying them to cover up my rear fenders cause they are way to rusty to roll and I want to run bigger wheels.Can I possibly cut off the rusty fenders and place and drill the flares on? Really Want to buy some wheels this summer and honestly having rusty fenders are holding me back 😥 and no I won’t sell it cause I already invested at least $8k on it and it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.Thank you guys

Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_
So I’m considering buying some clinched flares for my rear fenders only I’m just wondering if anyone on here is running some on their sedan? I’m buying them to cover up my rear fenders cause they are way to rusty to roll and I want to run bigger wheels.Can I possibly cut off the rusty fenders and place and drill the flares on? Really Want to buy some wheels this summer and honestly having rusty fenders are holding me back 😥 and no I won’t sell it cause I already invested at least $8k on it and it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.Thank you guys
Yeah, it's possible. Do you plan on widening your wheel situation too?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Yeah, it's possible. Do you plan on widening your wheel situation too?
yes I’m currently running oem 18x7.5 with 15mm spacers all around and it’s has about a credit card length from my tires to the fenders (I’m lowered on coils) on 235 45 r18 winter tires but in the summer I’m planning to possibly run 18x8.5 with +42mm offset or an 18x9.My fender flares are only to be 4cm wide

Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I've wanted to do this for the same reason although I don't think I want to buy wider wheels. I just want to cover up the rust. Can't wait to see how this turns out if you do it. I've been planning to try and sand/bondo/paint mine just to try and slow down the spread of the rust.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jbarnett250
I've wanted to do this for the same reason although I don't think I want to buy wider wheels. I just want to cover up the rust. Can't wait to see how this turns out if you do it. I've been planning to try and sand/bondo/paint mine just to try and slow down the spread of the rust.
for sure I’m not planning to get super wide wheels either. I want them to look like this guys G he’s running a set of 370z wheels which I believe aren’t all that wide

Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Spacers might help you get your fitment to where you want to be. I know the G37 18s and 19s need spacers for proper fitment on a G35 so they may be needed for 370 wheels as well. If you put arches on it, at least cut out the rust before covering it all up again.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by cswlightning
Spacers might help you get your fitment to where you want to be. I know the G37 18s and 19s need spacers for proper fitment on a G35 so they may be needed for 370 wheels as well. If you put arches on it, at least cut out the rust before covering it all up again.
exactly I’m really excited to see it like this this coming summer.i already placed the order for the flares 😎 I told the shop where I’m taking it to to cut off the rust first and then drill the flares on. BTW I heard they only need spacers if you have Brembo brakes due to it not being able to clear.And also I already have some 15mm spacers all around,would I be good with that? UPDATE: just bought a set from a guy on OfferUp got them for $900 with some meaty tires 😎 I can’t wait to install the flares and slap these on

Last edited by Ichiglo_; 01-08-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
G35 Sedan: bought 100% standard, now heavily modified

Not exactly the same as what you are talking about but if you look at this image @Ichiglo_ you'll see how the rear flares are cut. If you cut too much off of the body (I don't know how rusted your car is), you might not be able to attach them as low as in the picture with the bronze car.

@jbarnett250 if you aren't going wider or at least spacing out the wheels it will probably look quite bad

Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by g35-andy

Not exactly the same as what you are talking about but if you look at this image @Ichiglo_ you'll see how the rear flares are cut. If you cut too much off of the body (I don't know how rusted your car is), you might not be able to attach them as low as in the picture with the bronze car.

@jbarnett250 if you aren't going wider or at least spacing out the wheels it will probably look quite bad
@jbarnett250 my car is only rusted from the wheels well fenders from what I could see.If I where to explain it it’s surface rust but it pretty bad when you can’t roll them anymore.My driver side rear fender already has rust hole but my passenger side fender is still in tack and possibly still able to roll.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 PM

@jbarnett250 my car is only rusted from the wheels well fenders from what I could see.If I where to explain it it’s surface rust but it pretty bad when you can’t roll them anymore.My driver side rear fender already has rust hole but my passenger side fender is still in tack and possibly still able to roll.
@jbarnett250 here is my driver side I was talking about

Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM
@Ichiglo_ it doesn't seem very bad. personally I would have that surface rust cleaned up and repainted instead of the flares

Old 01-10-2019, 05:40 PM
@Ichiglo_ it doesn't seem very bad. personally I would have that surface rust cleaned up and repainted instead of the flares
@jbarnett250 i would to but I’ve been to several shops that want to charge an arm and a leg because they said they have to replace the whole quarter panel

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM

@jbarnett250 i would to but I’ve been to several shops that want to charge an arm and a leg because they said they have to replace the whole quarter panel
Are you paying someone to install the fender flares? I think you'll end up paying the same amount to have it professionally done.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Are you paying someone to install the fender flares? I think you'll end up paying the same amount to have it professionally done.
yes I have a friend here who has done it to his G before.I honestly didn’t want to get flares but I want to run wider wheels so it’s my only choice.But then the flare look honestly grew on me when I saw them on the bronze sedan

Old 01-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Ichiglo you're taking it to body shops that don't want to touch rust repair work, they make a lot more money doing insurance claims on newer cars which always involve the most expensive route in order to get the car back to "perfect". They don't want to work on an old car with an owner trying to save as much $$ as possible.

That rust really isn't bad at all compared to what I had.
Have you tried checking Craigslist and asking around on local car enthusiast Facebook pages to find a smaller shop or a body guy willing to repair your current quarter panel off the clock, without all of the roadblocks that get put in place when dealing with a larger business? They could repair the rust either with metal or waterproof fiberglass filler and roll your stock fenders at the same time. Have them also drill capped holes in the inner wheel well to make filling the QP with fluid film really easy.

The spacers are both to clear the Brembo brakes on the performance package coupes and to avoid the horrible "sunken in" look you get from running the wrong offset wheels with no spacers. IDK the exact size but I believe mine are 2_ mm in the back and 1_ mm in the front.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-11-2019 at 02:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fender flares on a sedan?