G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   A few dashboard lights (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/466047-few-dashboard-lights.html)

VietboyX 02-26-2019 10:26 AM

A few dashboard lights

I recently purchased a used 2006 Infiniti G35 and I noticed there were a few lights that wouldn't turn off. First was the SLIP light, then the VDC OFF light (yes I tried to press the button and it still didn't turn off) also the tire pressure light was on too. I don't know the correct PSI for my tires which could be the cause of the last one but the other two just will not turn off. Occasionally when I start my car, it starts with the lights off but after about 5 minutes they turn back on. Could anyone help me with this?

scumbagsleeper 02-26-2019 10:58 AM

Slip and VDC sound like a bad cam sensor. Run the codes and see what comes up. TPMS light could be a low tire or dead battery in one of the sensors.

VietboyX 02-26-2019 11:09 AM

Yeah I'm not too worried about TPMS, any advice on how to replace the cam sensor?

Scorpi0 02-26-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by VietboyX (Post 7162376)
Yeah I'm not too worried about TPMS, any advice on how to replace the cam sensor?

Scan your car for codes first.

cleric670 02-26-2019 06:40 PM

Firstly, check your brake fluid level. When it gets low those VDC/SLIP lights turn on as a warning indicator.

VietboyX 03-01-2019 01:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I scanned the codes and turned out to be a bad cam sensor, I'll be getting it replaced today so I'll let you guys know so if anyone has the same problem they can fix it!

Scottwax 03-01-2019 01:30 PM

SLIP/VDC without a CEL can also signify suspensions components so worn your steering wheel isn't centered when driving straight and the computer turns those systems off when it realizes you aren't in a skid. Had that issue, my LCA's where shot.

scumbagsleeper 03-02-2019 08:56 AM

How can that be? The older cars don't have a steering angle sensor to tell if the wheel is not straight. How can it tell if your driving straight or just cornering etc.... I'm not saying it's not possible but my LCA was completely shot and flopping around and never had a CEL or VDC/Slip. I would think the only thing that could set it off like that would be the wheel sensors not reading all the time making it think a wheel is rotating or not when it is supposed to.

cleric670 03-02-2019 01:59 PM

The G35 does have a steering angle sensor mounted on the steering wheel spiral cable.

Scottwax 03-02-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by scumbagsleeper (Post 7162718)
How can that be? The older cars don't have a steering angle sensor to tell if the wheel is not straight. How can it tell if your driving straight or just cornering etc.... I'm not saying it's not possible but my LCA was completely shot and flopping around and never had a CEL or VDC/Slip. I would think the only thing that could set it off like that would be the wheel sensors not reading all the time making it think a wheel is rotating or not when it is supposed to.

Mine sure does and replacing the LCA's completely fixed the problem. The car figured out I was driving straight even though the steering wheel wasn't pointed straight, the angle was a good 10 degrees off center.

scumbagsleeper 03-03-2019 12:06 AM

I'll have to look in the FSM about that. Still learning new stuff on theses cars. So we have a steering angle sensor and yaw sensor that works with the ABS braking system.

cleric670 03-03-2019 11:57 AM

Yep, it's all part of the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) systen, Yaw sensor is tucked into the center console (don't use an impact driver to remove it, don't drop it), steering angle sensor is bolted onto the back half of the steering wheel spiral cable.

Pushing the button on the dash to disable VDC doesn't completely kill it, folks who want it COMPLETELY turned off wire in a kill switch to the yaw sensor. It will also disable itself you do a bunch of donuts, once it detects a complete multi-rotation spin-out it disables itself until you restart the vehicle.

VDC has control over the independent ABS braking system AND throttle control.

EDIT: On RAS equipped vehicles it also controls that system. Check out section BRC in the FSM, it's a pretty interesting read.