G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Towed AWD G in Park (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/466057-towed-awd-g-park.html)

204G35 02-26-2019 11:00 PM

Towed AWD G in Park

My vehicle was out of gas and I had to move it so I had a friend hook my car up to his vehicle to move it. The road was icy, but I made a bonehead move and left it in park for about 10ft.

Fast forward, I get gas and start the car. Check AT flashing 16 times, codes P1759 and P1757. Car seems like it’s stuck in 4th gear. (First time putting in D after turning car on, car goes through gears as normal. Once I come to a complete stop and try accelerating again it’s stuck in 4th)

Probably an obvious question but we’re these codes for sure caused by this short tow in park? What exact damages would have been caused, and what parts should I check. Super dumb thing to do but it happened, now I have to deal with it. If anyone knows about this please LMK please, thank!

scumbagsleeper 02-27-2019 09:18 AM

I would reset the ECU and or disconnect the battery for 15 mins and run it again to see if it pops the exact same codes.

cleric670 02-27-2019 12:09 PM

Owch, there's a really good chance you destroyed a lot of stuff inside the transmission if it was towed in park. Definitely broke off the parking pawl and depending on how it fell it may have gotten into into the final sun gear. Or it's floating around in the tailshaft housing.

You can NEVER tow a vehicle in park, it must be in neutral, the G35 can only be towed very short distances I think due to lack of reverse oiling. Or disconnect the driveshaft from the differential.

G2B35AGN 02-27-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7162470)
the G35 can only be towed very short distances I think due to lack of reverse oiling. Or disconnect the driveshaft from the differential.

This. Also, it's complicated even more by the fact this is a G35x, so you also have the propeller shaft from the transfer case to worry about. AWD always has to be moved on a flatbed...really to be safe the furthest distance it should be rolled on all four wheels even in neutral is about the length of cable needed to get it onto the flatbed....

fitgineer_93 02-27-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN (Post 7162476)
This. Also, it's complicated even more by the fact this is a G35x, so you also have the propeller shaft from the transfer case to worry about. AWD always has to be moved on a flatbed...really to be safe the furthest distance it should be rolled on all four wheels even in neutral is about the length of cable needed to get it onto the flatbed....

What about coasting in neutral from highway speed to a stop?

cleric670 02-27-2019 08:59 PM

Short distance is fine, if I had to throw out a number for 4 wheels on the ground towing I'd say don't exceed 1 mile at under 30mph or you're seriously asking for trouble. Flatbed towing is definitely how you tow these cars though.

The transmission willbhe moving but with no fluid to lubricate it so this is an emergency-only type of thing.

204G35 02-28-2019 05:52 PM

I did the ECU recet procedure by turning the key and whatnot, codes came back. I just find it very weird that before the car warms up, the transmission is fine. Shifts through all gears perfectly fine, no noises no funny smells no nothing. As soon as it hits operating temp it drops to 4th gear and stays there no matter what.

Im more looking for an answer to what parts that could have been damaged and what I can do myself to check those. If I damaged the front brake Solonoid wouldn’t my car not be able to hold itself in park? Wouldn’t it cause the gears to become stuck all the time not just when it’s warmed up?

Edit: Car has over 300k on the clock, but prior to the short towing incident there was NEVER a problem with anything. Hard for me to believe I broke something of the vehicle behaves 100% normally before it warms up

eazdaskeez 02-28-2019 06:16 PM

Hmmm I think what happens is when the car isn't at running temp the transmission values in the pcm are different and its not running on the the operating temp values. Cleric will more than likely chime in with the right info but I think that's the issue. Alot of issues don't appear until the car hits operating temp

​​​

cleric670 02-28-2019 08:54 PM

TCM calculations don't have the same cold-condition logic that the fuel management system has (mostly it's due to emissions sensors needing to be hot).

​​​I would check the fluid level (if you don't know how then either Google or ask, it's not like checking engine oil). I would also get it up on a lift or jackstands and inspect everything thoroughly. If it's only happening when hot then I don't think the tranny is actually damaged but rather a fluid issue. However since it just started happening after the tow it's still possibly F'd

eazdaskeez 02-28-2019 09:00 PM

Cleric to the rescue ☺

cleric670 02-28-2019 09:03 PM

Well not exactly lol, it's a mystery problem that's still got no real solid leads.

I expect this is so.ething that will need to be diagnosed by a reputable transmission shop because 4th gear locking usually means something is F'd inside and either jammed the sun gear or is screwing with line pressure.