G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Time for an upgrade, help me decide AWD sport sedan... (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/466793-time-upgrade-help-me-decide-awd-sport-sedan.html)

MJION 05-27-2019 12:39 PM

Time for an upgrade, help me decide AWD sport sedan...

After ten plus years with the 2005 G35x, 75k miles its time for an upgrade.. Looking for a roomy daily driver AWD luxury sport sedan... I have two young kids so I can’t go too small and looking to keep the budget under $30k..

Don’t hate me for this but looking outside the infiniti family. The Q50 just does not do it for me.. considering the following:

2014+
Lexus GS350 F sport
Mercedes c450 AMG
Audi S4 (want an s6 but out of price range)
Acura TLX A spec (prefer 2018+)
BMW 450i xdrive

thoughts, feedback?

cleric670 05-27-2019 01:08 PM

Q50 Red Sport 400

G2B35AGN 05-27-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Q50 Red Sport 400

Wow! Surprised to see these hovering around $30K with low miles.

cleric670 05-27-2019 02:01 PM

Probably not without high miles. I don't know it's sort of a poor list of options to chose from though, the only one off that list that I would consider a SPORT sedan is the S4. It's a list of heavy luxury cars with low power output lol.

I'd be more inclined to look into something like those Lincoln MKS 3.5 Ecoboost like what Blue Dream is looking for, if you're going to go heavy at least get something pushing close to 400bhp.

G2B35AGN 05-27-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Probably not without high miles.

For the Red Sport? My quick-look search shows multiples of them with 13-25K miles from around $28-33K.

MJION 05-27-2019 02:22 PM

Red sport was not on the list although definitely considered... I like the performance but not the interior or rear end. Probably taking a break from infiniti :dunno:

cleric670 05-27-2019 02:58 PM

I don't know what the pricing is like on them but also look into the Volvo XC60 AWD Hybrid. Very refreshing interior and an excellent tech package, all the luxury bells and whistles you would expect from a high end vehicle with a very solid motor that's both supercharged and turbocharged driving the front wheels and a hybrid electric drive for the rear wheels. It's a fantastic platform overall that's getting real-world 55mpg, pushes a combined 400bhp and has the best interior and tech package I've seen in any newish vehicles outside of the Tesla model S. It has only two downfalls:

One it's a bit heavy and is just over 4000 lbs for the hybrid model so you feel it in the cornering, especially since it's an SUV so it sits a tad higher and for cornering potential I wouldn't consider it in the "sport" category anymore. However straight-line acceleration leaves you VERY satisfied so I consider it a fair trade.

Second it's a new vehicle and I think that platform came available in 2017 so it might be outside of the price range you're looking at but I still strongly recommend going out to test drive one, it IS a plug-in hybrid so for maximum fuel economy you will need to plug it in every night but I've ridden in 4 of them now, two guys I work with own ones, and the mpg is astonishing considering how much power they have on tap when you do need to move and the AWD system rivals anything on the market in snowy conditions.

MJION 05-27-2019 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info on the Volvo and yeah about $25k outside price range but sounds like an awesome SUV. I was also considering various Cayennes and the SQ5.

cleric670 05-27-2019 04:33 PM

When you're out driving the BMW's test drive a 335xi, it's a LOT more fun to drive than the 450xi. I think the last production year for the 335 was 2015 so it should definitely be in your price range, weighs like 3800 lbs, has a great stance, great feel, definitely fits the "sport sedan" category with it's twin turbo 6cyl engine.

I've been behind the wheel of one quite a few times and I think it's a solid choice for you if the smaller 3-series cabin will fit your needs. Don't be fooled by the number, it's actually quite roomy inside the car and will fit even large drivers.

Blue Dream 05-29-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7168975)
Probably not without high miles. I don't know it's sort of a poor list of options to chose from though, the only one off that list that I would consider a SPORT sedan is the S4. It's a list of heavy luxury cars with low power output lol.

I'd be more inclined to look into something like those Lincoln MKS 3.5 Ecoboost like what Blue Dream is looking for, if you're going to go heavy at least get something pushing close to 400bhp.

The GTO was confirmed as a total loss today so I'm heading 6 hours north of me Monday and bringing home Michelle, MKS 3.5 Ecoboost. Already ordered an Airaid intake and a Stage 3 Motorsports tuner, $700 total for a potential 70-80HP gain from an e-tune. Man I love me some Ford motors and their mod-friendly designs.

Fletchaa24 05-30-2019 11:06 AM

I second the 335. I test drove one before I got the g and it is sooo fun to drive. It corners like a beast and that little downshift click it does when you press the pedal down all the way is so satisfying. It's also deceptively roomy inside.

Blue Dream 05-31-2019 03:56 AM

Personally I wouldn't touch a used BMW unless you have an awesome bumper to bumper warranty. I have 3 friends that have or had used 335 twin turbos and they've all been a nightmare from a reliability perspective. Parts are expensive, dealership repairs are insanely priced and they're a pain to work on. I have several other friends with other models and they ALL report the same issues. Plus insurance on them isn't cheap.

Mustang5L5 05-31-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7169126)
The GTO was confirmed as a total loss today so I'm heading 6 hours north of me Monday and bringing home Michelle, MKS 3.5 Ecoboost. Already ordered an Airaid intake and a Stage 3 Motorsports tuner, $700 total for a potential 70-80HP gain from an e-tune. Man I love me some Ford motors and their mod-friendly designs.

Man, that sucks about the GTO

Only downfall to that motor is the water pump design. It's internal and driven by the timing chains. When it leaks, it tends to leak into the oil pan and eventually wipes out the bearings taking out the motor. Pump was redesigned in late 2013 so late build '13's and 14+ have the new pump. Failures on those pumps are less.

MJION 06-23-2019 12:16 PM

So BMW is definitely out given conversations w friends and mechanics in the industry... and now added the 2017 A4 s-line and 2016 A6 3.0T as everything I have read in these two have awesome reviews...

IllaNoizeTV 06-26-2019 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Each of the cars you listed are different.

Lexus will obviously give you the most reliability but is the slowest of the bunch. It's pretty spacious as well.

The c450 AMG is a smaller sedan but is the quickest of the bunch. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Reliability will most likely be average to below average since it's a MB, and an AMG. I would say its probably the best looking of the bunch as well.

The Audi A6 is probably the largest in the group and it has good power. As far as reliability, I'm not too sure.

In my opinion, I would do a little more research on the reliability of the c450 AMG and A6 but I'd probably choose one of them.

I might also consider the Genesis G80 5.0L Ultimate. It's a very nice luxury sports sedan with 420hp, lots of room, and pretty good reliability. Do you like the Infiniti M56 or Q70? The Lexus IS-F is really nice too. Legendary Toyota reliability with 416 ponies. The Kia Stinger GT is another great option.

Genesis G80
Attachment 259483