G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   TCM update, my dealership = idiots and 05 G35X review (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/80675-tcm-update-my-dealership-idiots-05-g35x-review.html)

DaveB 01-06-2006 03:49 PM

TCM update, my dealership = idiots and 05 G35X review

A month ago I brought my car in to have some warranty work and in the process I said I wanted my 03's 5AT TCM software updated. They played stupid and said there was nothing wrong with the tranny. During the warranty work they had to order a new trim piece for me and this week I bought the car back to have the piece replaced and this time I gave them the specific TCM software update program number. The advisor and tech both said they've never heard of a transmission software update nor have a clue what the number is I gave them :mad: They said, "we went ahead and reset the TCM, it should shift the way you want it too now.". Yeah, okay whatever. From what I've rear the only way everything gets reset, it's simply reseting the ECU. Great, now my car will be slow, boggy, and drink gas until the ECU leans out the A/F as it relearns my driving style. Better yet, the trim peice they ordered was damaged so I get to go back again. Freaking idiots. Inspect the parts beforehand. Thank God I'm moving to Atlanta here shortly where I'll have 3 dealers to choose from. May then I'm be able to get the TCM update done.

Right now I'm driving an 05 G35X. With 11K miles, this thing creaks and rattles just about as bad as my 03 did prior to me going through it and fixing the rattles :D It also is exhibiting a loud squeak from the suspension which I guess is related to the lower control arm bushing problem so many complain about. I do love the manual shift mode. It rips off upshifts much faster than my 03. As for the rev-match downshift, I really don't see much difference. It's definitely not smooth downshift when manually selected. It's better than my 03's, but it's not a huge difference. The power feels strong, but it doesn't have quite the pull as my 03, but that's to be expected with the additional AWD heft. The wheat interior already looks worn compared to my 03s which looks brand new. I guess it's the way you treat it. The 05 seats seem more plush which to me isn't what I'd want because I like a little more firmness. I do like the extra 3/4" on the front lip of lower cushion though. I like the center stack controls, especially the climate and volume knob. The new pod gauges are nice, but I like my 03's too. I definitely don't like the climate control gauge/clock stack though. It's a step backwards, IMO. The 03/04 stack looks more updated than this one.

erikill 01-06-2006 04:04 PM

When you get to Atlanta, try Gwinett Inf, the parts mgr - Brent has a modded G35 and can probably help you out with that upgrade.

On my 05 when I downshift the "rev-matching" just seems like its trying to imitate giving gas like a stick. Also the "analog" style knobs I like just since turning is a lot easier than pressing buttons and such.

Msedanman 01-06-2006 05:50 PM

A 'mod friendly' dealership....... That's what you need....:D
G/L at Initiniti of Gwinett
C.

DaveB 01-06-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by erikill
When you get to Atlanta, try Gwinett Inf, the parts mgr - Brent has a modded G35 and can probably help you out with that upgrade.

On my 05 when I downshift the "rev-matching" just seems like its trying to imitate giving gas like a stick. Also the "analog" style knobs I like just since turning is a lot easier than pressing buttons and such.

Thanks. BTW, I played around with the manual shift mode some more and I guess I didn't have the tranny fluid warmed up enough because after some driving on the highway it did execute some nice and smooth rev match downshifts.

booger 01-06-2006 07:12 PM

I had my dealer do the TCM update . Acually it isnt much of an upgrade .Just slightly better . I had to give the dealer the number and actually tell them exactly where it was on thier computer program .Dealers have no idea its even there . So they really arent playing stupid . Only the best tech's that go though the whole program and figure out whats all there know about it

Jeff92se 01-06-2006 07:21 PM

What is the TSB number for the auto shifting issue? And what is the description of the problem associated with the TSB?

DaveB 01-06-2006 09:35 PM

The number is 31036-AL004. It improves the shift speed, firmness, and response of the 5AT. The 04 and 05 5ATs I've gotten for loaners shift lightning quick and nearly instantly when you're in manumatic mode. The 05 would actually slam the 2-3 shift. I loved it. If the Atlanta guys can't help me out, I'm going to buy the TCM from an 04. The TCM is $150-200 from car-parts.com.

SixFive 01-07-2006 08:33 AM

Did they charge you for the upgrade? I don't think I need it as my car bangs shifts like a dream. This tranny is one part of the car I expect to hold up as I wail the jesus out of it year over year..

Also, does the upgrade change the numbering ont he display..ie change teh displayed $ from a top gear selection to an actual command?

G35_TX 01-07-2006 12:09 PM

Is this squeak after you stopped and you get out of the car? I hear a squeak from the rear as soon as I get out of the car and let go of the brake.

But yea, my 04 was more solid than the 05 for rattles, etc. I need to tear apart my damn interior.

Don't feel bad. I hate the dealer here. I had my car go back 3 times for vibrations and alignment issues. They said they balanced the tires twice, and also did the alignment twice. Well, I had the tires fixed by Discount tire 1 month ago and they were all out of balance, and one missing its weights. That was solved. Today, I went to NTB to have the free alignment check. Since hunter hasn't released the 05 specs yet, they did it on 04 and it was in alignment. But he got the manual printout of the 05 and the specs did change. So he adjusted them and the alignment was out. Freakin dealer adjusted my car under 04 specs and didn't change it. Now my car handles better again. They are gonna get a ugly visitor next week, because my tires have excessive wear where they shouldn't be due to there damn alignment screwup.

Originally Posted by DaveB
A month ago I brought my car in to have some warranty work and in the process I said I wanted my 03's 5AT TCM software updated. They played stupid and said there was nothing wrong with the tranny. During the warranty work they had to order a new trim piece for me and this week I bought the car back to have the piece replaced and this time I gave them the specific TCM software update program number. The advisor and tech both said they've never heard of a transmission software update nor have a clue what the number is I gave them :mad: They said, "we went ahead and reset the TCM, it should shift the way you want it too now.". Yeah, okay whatever. From what I've rear the only way everything gets reset, it's simply reseting the ECU. Great, now my car will be slow, boggy, and drink gas until the ECU leans out the A/F as it relearns my driving style. Better yet, the trim peice they ordered was damaged so I get to go back again. Freaking idiots. Inspect the parts beforehand. Thank God I'm moving to Atlanta here shortly where I'll have 3 dealers to choose from. May then I'm be able to get the TCM update done.

Right now I'm driving an 05 G35X. With 11K miles, this thing creaks and rattles just about as bad as my 03 did prior to me going through it and fixing the rattles :D It also is exhibiting a loud squeak from the suspension which I guess is related to the lower control arm bushing problem so many complain about. I do love the manual shift mode. It rips off upshifts much faster than my 03. As for the rev-match downshift, I really don't see much difference. It's definitely not smooth downshift when manually selected. It's better than my 03's, but it's not a huge difference. The power feels strong, but it doesn't have quite the pull as my 03, but that's to be expected with the additional AWD heft. The wheat interior already looks worn compared to my 03s which looks brand new. I guess it's the way you treat it. The 05 seats seem more plush which to me isn't what I'd want because I like a little more firmness. I do like the extra 3/4" on the front lip of lower cushion though. I like the center stack controls, especially the climate and volume knob. The new pod gauges are nice, but I like my 03's too. I definitely don't like the climate control gauge/clock stack though. It's a step backwards, IMO. The 03/04 stack looks more updated than this one.

MrBig 01-07-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Is this squeak after you stopped and you get out of the car? I hear a squeak from the rear as soon as I get out of the car and let go of the brake.

I've got the same stupid squeak. I always thought it was from the slight movement of the car when you let off the brake peddle or get out with the e-break on. :confused:

DaveB 01-07-2006 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by G35_TX

Na, it's when the car is rolling at a slow speed and you turn into a driveway of something. It's pretty noisy. Your's sounds like the rear spring hat. Shoot some silcone on the upper and lower rubber hats of spring and see what happens.

MrBig 01-07-2006 05:07 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

G35_TX 01-07-2006 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrBig
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

^^ +1

OCG35 01-07-2006 06:37 PM

Without a doubt different dealer's service departments will yield different results... In my area it ranges from ridiculously horrible to outstanding - and I'm referring to dealers within a 30-mile radius.

Good luck in your new location... with 3 to choose from I'm sure you'll find one that is favorable! I have had pretty good luck by establishing rapport with the svc techs themselves rather than just the service writers - maybe that will help you.

Hope it goes well

andycon 01-09-2006 10:46 PM

....... I'm going to buy the TCM from an 04. The TCM is $150-200 from car-parts.com.

Hey Dave, will this work? I have a 2003 5AT sedan and the gearbox shifting is my biggest gripe - especially after driving some of the 04 loaner cars - the shifting is awesome in the newer cars!

Will replacing the TCM work?