What model year is you G35 E?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2003 sedan AT.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
It might be worth it to look into a piece of clear vinyl, like they use on vinyl signs, then place it over the button once it's replaced, it would be easy to trim away the excess, you might be able to get a scrap from one of those fast sign shops in your area.

G35_TX, you make a good point about acid in the skin. My keyfob was just from having it in my pocket, my previous Ford fob's never rubbed off though.
My bosses F150 and friends f150 key fobs are both basically gone where you can't see the lock/unlock symbol anymore. I think it depends on the person.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Same thing on 03.5

It happened within the last few weeks to me. I bought some black flat paint and just painted over the button. It blends in fine with the mirror and you don't even really notice it.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
My bosses F150 and friends f150 key fobs are both basically gone where you can't see the lock/unlock symbol anymore. I think it depends on the person.
Yeah, I think this is right, and how many times the button gets pushed affects it as well as how much you have in your pocket when you put the fob in.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:17 PM
But think about it. The buttons on my infiniti key fob are also worn. These buttons are rubber with a little paint on them. The paint has worn out, but the buttons still look ok as black buttons. The plastic part of the fob is just fine. No visible signs of wear and it is still all black.

The buttons on the mirror are plastic, just like case of the key fob and just like the rest of the mirror. But on the mirror, the plastic on the button has chipped away and looks aweful because it is white underneath. So the acid or grease from my fingers can wear out the plastic/paint coating of the mirror buttons but not the plastic/paint coating of the fob case??

I think not. I think the mirror has some quality issues. The key fob is touched and rubbed way more than my home link button.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My homelink button started to chip and was replaced by the dealer. My key fob remote is also wearing away. I just use the other set of keys now.

One other odd thing. My 03.5 had the painted cover (wheat interiori) for the gauge cluster and it started to chip mysteriously. No one who drives it nor I would every scratch at that part. It was replaced by the dealer.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for my 45K service and to have them look at my homelink button. They still don't know if it will be covered under warranty. They also told me that there is a recall on some fuel lines. I did not get any notice in the mail, but they said the recall campaign is only about 1 month old. Told me that they have to drop part of the back end of the car to get to the fuel line...They gave me a loaner but it is a honda accord. I don't mind, I just need transportation. But they are charging me $10 for fuel consumption! I guess they have been doing this for a year or two. I'll let people know if they cover the mirror....

Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Got my car back and they replaced the whole mirror under warranty!! Yeah! They also fixed burned out side bulb, the scraper inside the window that made a screaching sound, lubricated the sun roof, and some rods in the front. I had to pay for some new pads for the back brakes (first time they were replaced) and my 45K service. Overall, I think they did a better job this time than previous times. Thanks for everyone's input and help! Have a great weekend!!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eticketride
So the acid or grease from my fingers can wear out the plastic/paint coating of the mirror buttons but not the plastic/paint coating of the fob case??
The keyfob is solid black plastic all the way through, and the rubber buttons are also dyed black. You may actually be wearing it down slightly, but it's black all the way through.

The mirror button is white, and painted black, so that it can light up at night.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:27 AM
If it's hard plastic, maybe you could cover it with a thin layer of nail polish or clear epoxy to help prevent wear?

Old 05-26-2006, 03:28 AM
i checked mine out and its still perfect... i noticed when i press the button i press the bottom part of it

Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryoken
The mirror button is white, and painted black, so that it can light up at night.
The buttons on my mirror don't light up at night, niether did my '04.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
OK, so it is almost a year later since I got my rear view mirror replaced because of the worn homelink buttons (5-26-2006). Guess what I noticed yesterday??? Yes, the paint on the button is starting to wear again and my car is out of warranty. Not sure how long the warranty is on the replacement mirror. Hopefully a year...I just don't understand. I don't push it with my fingernails. Maybe the high acid in my skin is eating away at the paint...

Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Why don't you hit it with a little clear nail polish. If done correctly, it would not be obvious & would protect the paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint on Homelink button is wearing