G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 07 – Transmission is dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy G35 07 – Transmission is dead

Well its official guys, my 07 automatic transmission died yesterday night. A few weeks ago the car started acting very weird. Once every few days the car would start downshifting and not reacting well when I was pressing the gas pedal.

Sometime I was pushing the gas to the maximum and it was taking about one second before anything would happen. The check engine light was on so I decided back in early September to visit infiniti. One of their techs took the car for a test drive and didn’t notice anything unusual…. The transmission was reacting correctly, they plugged in their computer checked the history of the check engine light and claimed it was some kind of a sensor problem, they proceeded on resetting the battery and everything seemed to run smoothly after that. They told me was a first case for them and they didn’t think anything is wrong with the transmission.

On Friday night I was coming back from work and guess what… the same problem occurred again but this time I was driving at around 60 miles an hour and the car started downshifting…. My speed went from 60 to 20, the RPM was at 7 when I was barely touching 20 Miles an hour. It wasn’t shifting speeds anymore Luckily the infiniti dealer is 5 minutes from my work place, I managed to drive the car there using Neutral.

The same tech got in the car with me, tried it and told me that there is definitely something wrong this time and that they would give me a loaner car until they find what is wrong with it. A few hours later, I got a call claiming that the transmission failed and they are placing an order for a replacement from Japan. From their claims, it might take up to 3 – 4 weeks before they get it shipped to the dealer.

Any of you had similar problems with the 2007? I’m a bit disappointed in all of this. The tech person from the dealer apologized and gave me a 2006 g35x loaner in the meantime the car gets fixed.

My car is a 2007 G35 – Non X with barely 11,000 miles on it.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that. I never heard it before. I hope this was the last time to hear it.

I would ask for an 07 loaner. There is nothing wrong to give you an 06 loaner for a day or 2 but for a month?!

Anyways I hope everything will turn out good for you.

TG

Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Ditto on that, I hope things work quickly for you.

Last time I had my 07 in the shop for it's first service they gave me a '06 G35X for a loaner. It's noticably smaller than the 07...

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride
Ditto on that, I hope things work quickly for you.

Last time I had my 07 in the shop for it's first service they gave me a '06 G35X for a loaner. It's noticably smaller than the 07...
That's what I thought about my 07, it seemed bigger than my 03 was. Yet when I look at the specs the dimensions are pretty much the same?!?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 AM
One big motha...
Sorry to hear that dude... I haven't driven my car in over a month myself and I'm way over due... Hope everything gets squared away quickly!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Wow man -- sorry to hear about your car -- hopefully yours was one of the few unlucky ones that got a major problem -- I am sure Infiniti will make it all OK soon enough.

Originally Posted by netclick
Luckily the infiniti dealer is 5 minutes from my work place, I managed to drive the car there using Neutral.
Darn -- you drove 5 mins just on neutral ???? (that too after being slowed down to 20 mph) - sounds like one big downhill ride - thank god you hit the peak before the tranny gave in

Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Damn that sucks, but look at all the miles you'll be saving on your own car! I believe a nice long road trip is in store within the next 3-4 weeks!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Musta been a defective tranny from day 1. Tell them to replace it with a 6MT

Old 10-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by netclick

Well its official guys, my 07 automatic transmission died yesterday night. A few weeks ago the car started acting very weird. Once every few days the car would start downshifting and not reacting well when I was pressing the gas pedal.

Sometime I was pushing the gas to the maximum and it was taking about one second before anything would happen. The check engine light was on so I decided back in early September to visit infiniti. One of their techs took the car for a test drive and didn’t notice anything unusual…. The transmission was reacting correctly, they plugged in their computer checked the history of the check engine light and claimed it was some kind of a sensor problem, they proceeded on resetting the battery and everything seemed to run smoothly after that. They told me was a first case for them and they didn’t think anything is wrong with the transmission.

On Friday night I was coming back from work and guess what… the same problem occurred again but this time I was driving at around 60 miles an hour and the car started downshifting…. My speed went from 60 to 20, the RPM was at 7 when I was barely touching 20 Miles an hour. It wasn’t shifting speeds anymore Luckily the infiniti dealer is 5 minutes from my work place, I managed to drive the car there using Neutral.

The same tech got in the car with me, tried it and told me that there is definitely something wrong this time and that they would give me a loaner car until they find what is wrong with it. A few hours later, I got a call claiming that the transmission failed and they are placing an order for a replacement from Japan. From their claims, it might take up to 3 – 4 weeks before they get it shipped to the dealer.

Any of you had similar problems with the 2007? I’m a bit disappointed in all of this. The tech person from the dealer apologized and gave me a 2006 g35x loaner in the meantime the car gets fixed.

My car is a 2007 G35 – Non X with barely 11,000 miles on it.
If u want u can lemon the car. If it is going to stay at the dealer for 3-4 weeks u have a guaranteed lemon car in CAlifornia. If i was u, i would contact a lawyer and get all ur money back and get a new car.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Bad Toro
That is definitely a first one, and I hope it to be an isolated incident.

Sorry about your mishap. But I don't understand why a transmission needs to be ordered all the way from Japan... You would think that a company such as Nissan/Infiniti would keep a stockpile of all the goodies here in the States....

Keep us updated as this is definitely an interesting development for this otherwise, great car.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Musta been a defective tranny from day 1. Tell them to replace it with a 6MT
I second that

If my transmission fails on me and the car is declared a lemon (due to the time it will take to repair it), I would be definitely placing an order for a 6MT this time around.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:51 PM
wow this truly is the first incident.. sorry to hear about what happened to you.. quick question though, do you normally drive on DS mode or using the paddle shifters or are you just always on D mode? Reason i asked is i'm starting to like driving in DS mode instead of just D, and i don't know if i could do this all the time without putting major wear on my tranny so i was just wondering

Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by blindS!de
wow this truly is the first incident.. sorry to hear about what happened to you.. quick question though, do you normally drive on DS mode or using the paddle shifters or are you just always on D mode? Reason i asked is i'm starting to like driving in DS mode instead of just D, and i don't know if i could do this all the time without putting major wear on my tranny so i was just wondering
I drive my G in DS and M only.

TG

Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I had a similair problem with my 03 when I first bought it and ended up having Infiniti order a new transmission for me at 12,000 miles.