G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x with an infant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x with an infant

I'm looking at a G35x, but am planning to have a baby in the next year. I'm a bit concerned about storage space, car seat issues, etc. I've read some mixed reviews on these issues. If it makes a difference, there will rarely be anyone in the front passenger seat, so it doesn't matter much if the car seat requires the front seat to be pushed forward. Anyone who's used the car regularly with a baby have any helpful advice?

I've kind of landed on the G35x by process of elimination, and am not ready to pull the trigger. Prefer not to get an SUV, really want AWD, and am coming from an unreliable A4, so I want a reliable carmaker. Lexus IS250 got ruled out for size and cost (they bundled too much with the navi; on the G35, i'm not losing much if I skip navi). So, any ideas would be appreciated ...

Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should not be a problem...

you say that the front passenger seat will usually not be occupied...so a rear-facing car seat will fit fine in back. You won't regret the G for a second.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We recently purchased an '08 G35 Sedan to serve as our primary family car, relegating the '04 WRX Wagon as the backup "family" car.

We have a 2.5 year-old and we are expecting baby #2 in a month. In other words, we personally felt that there was sufficient space, even with the wifey and I up front. We brought in the infant seat and had it rear facing where it would take up the most room and evaluated ; I suggest you to do the same.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be forewarned that the rear seat cushion is a bit narrow. So what's going to happen is with the baby seat or booster seat, you might need to put a cushion under the baby seat/booster seat so it sits level...

We have 2 kids, one 7 1/2 years old and the other 3 years 10 months and I have cushions to keep the baby seat/booster level in our 2008 G35X.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Still unsure why people spring for minivans when they have kids, as if kids all of a sudden require cavernous space in the car.....is there like a bunch of stuff that you all of a sudden come into that won't fit in the trunk once you have a kid??

Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Get the Van.Diffinately G35X not for you.Everything seem to be too small with kids

Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a 3 year old son..and I have the G for a little over an year..and I can say there is enough space for the car seat. I can't answer for the rear facing infant seat but for the front facing it is just fine...

Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I have three kids with my 1st gen sedan (5yr old and twin 3yr olds). The car has always had a decent amount of room and more than enough for 1 child IMO.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
I do have 2 cars
2003 Honda Pilot EX and 2008 g35X with some Mod

with 2 kids. They preferred honda Pilot with more space.It's easier and more conveneince when you travel or have long trip.but Mine G is everyday driving
Love it!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I have a 13 year old boy. He only seen a mini van once inside. I rented one on his 13th birtday. I had to take 7 of them paintballing. He grown up with sedans and hatchbacks. No need minivan. They are ugly and ... you get the point.

tg

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I tote my 16-month-old around in my '06 G35 Sedan all the time, and have since he was born.

Make sure you get one of these to stop the baby seat from tearing up your leather...

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
+1 on the seat protector.

I have two seats in the back of my car and both fit absolutely perfect. Don't listen to people who say that the seats don't fit well... the issue is the choice of seat and not that the car doesn't allow them.
I have Recaro's in my car and they are fantastic.
My 5 yr old is still in her Recaro Young Sport which sits behind me on the drivers side, no issues with fitment or with her having a lack of legroom.
On the passenger side, I have the Recaro Signo Convertible, which sits rear-facing for my 10 month old daughter. I was worried about room, but with the front seat back to where it's almost but not quite touching, there is tons of room for a front passenger. I constantly go out to lunch and bring people from work. None of the guys I work with have ever had issues with leg room or with the seat back not being reclined enough. The tiny wife obvisouly fits fine as well.

I use the seat protector above which keeps the leather perfect and avoids pressure creases that come with time. These seats fit perfect with no side to side movement and are super secure.

If you run out and find the first seat on sale and expect it to fit with room to spare, prepare for disappointment.
Do your homework and you'll have zero issues with kids in the G.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
^^^ I remember your post from a while back when i was still on the market. Your comments were one of those things that sealed the deal for me and i have no regrets with the G's seat space. It's obviously a smaller car than my previous one, but the seats fit well in the back with kid leg room to spare and without having myself literally kiss the steering wheel.

I had a forward-facing and rear-facing seat at one point and had no problems at all.

If i had to nitpick, it's that the G has less cubbyholes than my old Maxima, and i'm still not a fan of the rear cupholders being on the seat (versus on the floor). I took these issues as blessings in disguise, though, at least now we bring just the necessities -- which i'm happy with, that translates to much less cleaning after trips.

On the matter of seat protectors, the reviews on Amazon sounds disconcerting, is it true that it makes the seat move around?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Bad Toro
I have a car seat with no issues. Granted the G35's interior is a bit on the smaller size, it never gave me any problems with my 10 month old girl.

Her stroller also fits in the trunk, although that odd location for the changer does make it a bit awkward getting it in and out of the trunk.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Cool

get the g35x. we have a 2007 g35x and my family loves it. we have a 3yr and 5yr and both sit in car seats. my oldest doesn't like the car as much as the 05 nissan altima ser i had but she is only 5. and you will lose a little truck space. over all you can't do wrong with the g35x. worse case scenaro test drive on and put a car seat or 2 in side. and judge from there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x with an infant