G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   Handling: G37 vs. G8 GT (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/267456-handling-g37-vs-g8-gt.html)

Polo08816 01-25-2009 07:56 PM

Handling: G37 vs. G8 GT

Has anyone ever driven both cars and can comment on the handling of a sport packaged equipped G37 vs. a Pontiac G8 GT?

From what I understand, most people rave the G8 GT as being one of the best values in the $25k to $30k range with some magazines quoting it as BMW 5-series-like handling.

Obviously, the G8 GT is really quick off the line and in a straight line race. It's hard to beat a 361hp V8 engine that runs on 87 octane with a Corvette-sourced 6spd auto. Tunes typically get the L76 V8 to 400hp.

SDGeneralCounsel 01-25-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Polo08816 (Post 3844259)
Has anyone ever driven both cars and can comment on the handling of a sport packaged equipped G37 vs. a Pontiac G8 GT?

From what I understand, most people rave the G8 GT as being one of the best values in the $25k to $30k range with some magazines quoting it as BMW 5-series-like handling.

Obviously, the G8 GT is really quick off the line and in a straight line race. It's hard to beat a 361hp V8 engine that runs on 87 octane with a Corvette-sourced 6spd auto. Tunes typically get the L76 V8 to 400hp.

the g8 handles like a pig and the g37 is faster since the g8 weighs so much. Do a google search.

Polo08816 01-25-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel (Post 3844294)
the g8 handles like a pig and the g37 is faster since the g8 weighs so much. Do a google search.

Are you speaking from experience (drove both the G8 GT and the G37 sedan)?

Google searching the G8 GT comes up with nearly every single publication raving about the G8's handling so it must be pretty good for a 4 door sedan if all reviewers compliment it's "European-like" handling.

All I was simply looking for was someone's test drive experience which was probably what you overlooked.

SANTOS29 01-26-2009 12:29 PM

I test drove both vehicles before buying my G37, and it doesn't handle as good as the G, but you can't tell the difference until you start cornering moderately to hard that is when you start to feel how heavy it is, on the G it was hard to make the tires make noise on the G8 GT it was quite easy to start loosing grip on the corners. The G8 on the straight line was excellent down the highway, I was actually impressed, there was a bit more cabin noised that I expected. The finish of the infiniti blows it away, they use alot of hard plastic and the leather seats don't have the same finish as the G, they feel hard and are not as confortable, and I almost forgot the G8 is a bit bigger than the Infiniti.

You should go test drive one if you need to know, that way you can compare it yourself.

LiquidGx 01-26-2009 12:54 PM

Everything is relative. A Camry is a bargain at that price too and it'll run a 14.XX with the V6.

SANTOS29 01-26-2009 05:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the G8 is a great car and fast as well, but I decided to go with Infiniti. Like I said he has to go check it out himself so he can make his own choice :)

Btw here in Canada the pontiac is 42k and the camry is a bit cheaper than the pontiac.

LudwigB 01-26-2009 05:57 PM

Make sure you're OK with the pushrod engine. After driving overhead cam engine all my life, I just couldn't get used to the feel of a pushrod. I test drove the C6 Corvette but couldn't get myself to like the engine. It just doesn't rev as well as the Nissan V6.

Mustang5L5 01-26-2009 08:25 PM

It is a different feel, but something about having torque pushing you into your seat at 2000RPM feels so right.

I test drove a G8 GT. Nice car, but i wanted something AWD over raw HP. It was a decent car....considering it's a rebadged Holden Commodore. I liked it.

SANTOS29 01-27-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 3848184)
It is a different feel, but something about having torque pushing you into your seat at 2000RPM feels so right.

I test drove a G8 GT. Nice car, but i wanted something AWD over raw HP. It was a decent car....considering it's a rebadged Holden Commodore. I liked it.

That was a big reason why I purchase the Infiniti instead of Lexus and the G8 GT, since here in canada sometimes we need AWD lol

zmzmzm 01-27-2009 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SANTOS29 (Post 3849670)
That was a big reason why I purchase the Infiniti instead of Lexus and the G8 GT, since here in canada sometimes we need AWD lol

Unfortunately if you want 6MT there's no AWD... I went 6MT, still like the mix of luxury and performance of the G37S. The dealer is also nicer to deal with than my previous Pontiac dealer (admittedly a few years ago now).

oab97 01-27-2009 01:07 PM

I test drove a G8 GT before getting my G37S 6MT. I knew I didn't want it because a manual was a must-have for me but I figured the test drive would be fun. Here's brief run-down of my thoughts.

Handling (the OP's question): The G8 handles well for a big saloon car. It's probably rightly placed in the same league as the 5-series in publications. But nobody ever accused a 5-series of handling like a 3-series (except perhaps the M5). Also keep in mind that in most publications the 5-series is out handled by the Infiniti M and has lost several recent overall comparisons between the two. The G37 is smaller lighter and handles noticeably better than the G8. In my mind, the G37 handles like a 4-dr sports coupe/GT. The G8 handles very well for a full-size sedan, but in the corners and under braking you definitely feel the extra weight of that big v8 in the front and the extra size of the car.

Engine: The G8 GT is rated at 355hp the G37 at 328hp. The G37 is ~400lbs lighter though and actually has a better power/weight ratio. The way the engines make power is completely different. The G8's V8 has gobs of low-end torque but doesn't rev as freely. That's not inherently good nor bad but more a matter of personal taste.

Price: The G8 is cheaper by a little over 2 grand (+/- based on options).

Features: The G37 has a few more luxury/tech amenities. The G8 has remote start which is a neat trick though.

Build quality/materials: The G37 has a nicer interior than the G8 (leather and contact surface feel). I think both have very good but not exemplary fit & finish. The Holden is much nicer than the average Pontiac and I call F&F close to a tie.

Size: The G8 is a bigger more utilitarian car

Efficiency: The G8 gets about 3mpg less but can run on regular octane so there's probably not too much difference to the pocketbook. If your concern is melting Antarctica more than your wallet the G is a less grievous offense.

medgar 01-27-2009 01:56 PM

My two top 2009 cars that I would like to buy used in a couple of years is and G37S or the G8 GXP. The GXP may be a bit more new.....but depreciation will kill this car and I have no doubt you will be able to get one in two years for under 25k....

ttrank 01-27-2009 02:18 PM

Great review oab97!

Klubbheads 01-27-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ttrank (Post 3850911)
Great review oab97!

+1, He nailed everything that i had in mind without even driving the G8.

oab97 01-27-2009 04:22 PM

Thanks guys.

FWIW, if I had been shopping for an automatic instead of a manual the extra room, cheaper price, and better looks (my opinion only) of the G8 would have made the final decision between these 2 cars very difficult. It probably would have come down to which dealer treated me better and offered me a better deal.

Likewise, if the GXP had been available back in the July timeframe when I was making my decision I'm sure it would have been much harder since the GXP has a 93hp (instead of 27hp) advantage and comes with a manual.