3-year review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 years of review has a 15k miles....

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can you justify owning a G and having it lose more value from time than the miles you put on it??

Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow 15k miles after 3 years is low! My 08 has 35k and no issues

Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish the air vents weren't positioned to blow RIGHT on my hands.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my 3-year review '08 G35X

Actually 38-months. Lower mileage at 29,800. Not a single problem. Will be replacing the OE tires shortly, Goodyear RS-A's as tread wear indicators are visible with little tread. Actually liked the tires a lot but don't want to pay $1,200 every 30k. Likely going to Michelin with 4-wheel alignment. Bought the car from Nationwide Infiniti in Maryland with a so called dealer for life discount. Paid $120 for synthetic blend oil change and rotation (and inspection) at 7,500 and $280 for synthetic blend oil change, rotation and balance (and inspection) at 15,000 and also got an Infiniti special, replacing cabin filter and wipers for $55. At 22,000 wife brought the car in for free wash, came out with broken tail light cover. Wife insisted they broke it, they insisted they did not. To their credit Nationwide replaced it free despite the disagreement, and I repeated the 7,500 service at that time. Nationwide wanted nearly $700 for the 30k service; oil change, rotation and balance (which did not need as replacing tires), rear diff change and of course inspection. Just took it to an indy garage with a certified Nissan mechanic, brought 5-qt Mobil One 5W30, Fram Xtended Guard oil filter and Fram air filters. Mechanic replaced all, inspected vehicle, advised fluids need not be touched (although I will bring fluids for diffs and transfer case at 37,500). Was charged $35 for the service and will only use the indy from now on due to price difference and excellent service. The nicest car I have ever owned by a long way. Was more than I should have reasonably paid for a car, but it's met every expectation and them some.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mantar
baileyt35, Nalley Infiniti - Marietta.
Nalley Infiniti -Decatur on the other hand seemed a lot more eager to please. But you live in FL. So this should not be an issue. It would be interesting to hear from other Atlanta residents.
I've found Marietta's maintenance pricing is consistently 25-40% higher than Roswell Infiniti on Hwy 9. I live right down the road from the Marietta location, but I grew up closer to the Roswell location. I'd recommend Roswell for maintenance work if you're not comfortable doing it yourself OR finding an independent shop. I'd stay away from Marietta. I brought my car to Marietta to address the rear axel click TSB, and mentioned I thought a front tire was leaking air, asking them to check while it was on the lift. They said they'd performed a full inspection, so I happily responded with "Great! Please call me if there's anything you find that needs immediate attention before performing any additional work."

I sat around in their waiting area, twiddling my thumbs. When they finished, they called me, and I find a $10 charge for patching the tire. I was a bit ticked off, and reminded the service writer that I asked him to call me before performing other work, and stated that I had coverage for free tire repair through another shop. He seemed unfazed and offered no apology. He then tried to sell me on about $450 worth of trans flush and rear-diff service. This was at just 36k miles. I told him "Thank you for the recommendation." paid for the patch and left. I didn't press the issue and just took it as a $10 lesson to not patronize them any longer.

I purchased my 06 coupe at Roswell in Oct 2009. It had 28,210 mi on the odo, and the first owner purchased it new in Sept 2006, so I still had a year of bumper to bumper. Major selling point, as it offered me peace of mind in purchasing my first used car. Just over 3000k miles later, I had them perform an oil change (first one free), and they advised changing the drive belts. My first reaction was to be shocked and ticked that they thought I'd cave to their suggestion of something that I KNEW should last much longer. Then I jumped online, found this site and others mentioning that the belts do wear out quickly on the VQ, and I felt humbled. I told them to go ahead.

Roswell turned my front rotors a few months later when I felt pulsating in the brakes, and I was mad that I probably just didn't notice on the test drive because I was too excited. That was another small chunk of $, but still fair and reasonable as far as dealers go.

Finally, last fall, before my warranty was up, I went in, pointed to the small tear on the side of the leather driver's cushion, mentioned water coming in around the window in the car wash, and that the radio had locked up, only accepting commands from the steering wheel. They replaced the seat cushion and the weather stripping, but were unable to replicate the radio problem. They did it all without me mentioning the TSB on the seat cushion, and at no cost, plus the free car wash. And yes, they gave me an 07 g35 sedan for 24 hours. I was very satisfied, and if I have any issues I can't identify and fix myself, I'll likely return to them.

Other items in my 2 years of ownership-
-Tires: new with purchase at 28K, new Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums on rear at 56K, new fronts needed badly now with 60K.
-Brakes: resurfaced rotors at 29K for pulsation. Have pads in hand, waiting for rain to stop so I can install. Pro-Stop Platinums, pad part #'s PGD888m and PGD905m.
-One alignment after curb run-in during snow shutdown here in Atlanta last Jan.
-Oil changes every 5000-5500 mi.
-Replaced engine air and in-cabin filters at 35K and again at 59K (both were only moderately soiled, so 24K wasn't pushing it too much)
-I've had 2 or 3 separate occasions where the trans did not want to go into 5th gear until I had been on the highway for 3+ minutes, either in full-auto, or manual-shift modes. Wasn't particularly cold, and too sporadic to worry about.
-Driver-side rear side marker (small 194 light inside brake-light housing) burns out quickly (std and LED bulbs). Not worried enough about it to track down what is probably a short.
-Original battery is now dying. 330 CCA left when tested. Less than 15 minutes reserve time for listening to the radio (amount of time my g/f was sitting in the car before realizing it would not crank)

Overall, I'm expecting to hit 100K without any thing but fluids, belts, another set of tires, and possibly another set of brakes. I've got a hopeful outlook!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Marlin84
I've found Marietta's maintenance pricing is consistently 25-40% higher than Roswell Infiniti on Hwy 9. ...
Great post and feedback, although i think you placed it in the wrong section.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Great post and feedback, although i think you placed it in the wrong section.
Sorry, I know I've only had mine for 2 years (though since it's now 5 years old, I thought it might still be appropriate to post a review), but I wanted to reply to Mantar's comments on Marietta Infiniti not being helpful with his maintenance items.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I just thought you might be better off placing the review in the coupe section seeing as there have been quite a few changes from your generation to the current one.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Where's a facepalm smiley when you need one? My bad.. Totally wasn't paying attention there!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Update on original post - just over 5 years now

Ok, I just passed the 5 year mark with my 2007 G35S 5AT premium/nav and am at 29k miles. During the 4th year of ownership, I've experienced or done:

* 2 oil changes
* No problems whatsoever
* No squeaks, no rattles
* Interior and exterior look as new

I'm still very pleased with the purchase.

Am looking at brake fluid and power steering fluid change in the spring.

Happy Holidays!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Great review!

I've had mine for a little over 3 years now (can't believe how quick the time has flown) and my experience has been pretty much the same as yours. No squeaks or rattles, interior looks like new, and have done just routine maintenance such as yourself. I had my grille replaced due to pitting, but that was under warranty. My only gripe has been that once the original batteries died in both key fobs, they go through batteries like crazy now.....about 1 a month.

Overall, I've been extremely happy with the car and still love driving it!
Don't you charge the battery in the slot underneath the trunk release button?

My mechanic told me that factory equipment tires (that come new on cars) last very little time because they're cheaper. Once you get another set they should last longer and if not they could possibly be replaced under a tread warranty.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by snowtrax
Don't you charge the battery in the slot underneath the trunk release button?
correct sir

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Solo G
correct sir
I don't think so. The slot is there so you can still use the car even when the fob battery is out.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by snowtrax
My mechanic told me that factory equipment tires (that come new on cars) last very little time because they're cheaper. Once you get another set they should last longer and if not they could possibly be replaced under a tread warranty.
If they're referring to the RE050's, the reason they wear fast is because they're high-perf summer tires. Summer tires have relatively softer compounds that wear faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3-year review