G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Oh God
I'm in Tulsa also
Gonna get my airbag light checked out and that sensor replaced under recall
This should be fun...

Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
The last day of my warranty expiration, Infiniti of Austin replaced my entire steering wheel without me asking (because paint peeling). The problem that occurred from their kind gesture was that they did not reset some sort of steering angle sensor, and they did not put the steering wheel exactly in the position it was in when they removed it. I'm no longer able to get the car aligned correctly anymore. I had a pro alignment shop center the steering wheel and do their usual magic. This involved setting the then-crooked steering wheel straight and doing the alignment, just as Infiniti said they would do since they felt the crooked angle wasn't enough to matter. What's happened after an alignment is that the steering servo motor conflicts with the now-new straight wheel direction, so it is set just on the edge of the range where I'm fighting the servo feedback. If you let go of the steering wheel, it will pull the car into a lane change, even after an alignment.

Infiniti, you need to update all service procedures dealing with steering wheel removal to include a reset of that angle sensor and possibly an alignment afterwards. I can't get any shop to make my car straight unless I put the wheel crooked where I think it was before I ever got it realigned. I will never go back to a dealership for anything, but I may have to fight this steering wheel issue there in the near future. Otherwise the car is useless. Who else has the tool to fix the steering angle sensor? There should be a class action IMO.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by SQconstable
The last day of my warranty expiration, Infiniti of Austin replaced my entire steering wheel without me asking (because paint peeling). The problem that occurred from their kind gesture was that they did not reset some sort of steering angle sensor, and they did not put the steering wheel exactly in the position it was in when they removed it. I'm no longer able to get the car aligned correctly anymore. I had a pro alignment shop center the steering wheel and do their usual magic. This involved setting the then-crooked steering wheel straight and doing the alignment, just as Infiniti said they would do since they felt the crooked angle wasn't enough to matter. What's happened after an alignment is that the steering servo motor conflicts with the now-new straight wheel direction, so it is set just on the edge of the range where I'm fighting the servo feedback. If you let go of the steering wheel, it will pull the car into a lane change, even after an alignment.

Infiniti, you need to update all service procedures dealing with steering wheel removal to include a reset of that angle sensor and possibly an alignment afterwards. I can't get any shop to make my car straight unless I put the wheel crooked where I think it was before I ever got it realigned. I will never go back to a dealership for anything, but I may have to fight this steering wheel issue there in the near future. Otherwise the car is useless. Who else has the tool to fix the steering angle sensor? There should be a class action IMO.
If that's the case, why not just remove and replace the steering wheel yourself at the correct position. Steer the car where the wheels are straight, then remove steering wheel and put it back pointed straight. Follow the DIY for the trim removal which includes how to remove the steering wheel. It is not hard.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried hydro dipping their steering wheel trim or door trim?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they told me theres nothing they can do about it

Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
door trim was easy with the dip, just mask off surrounding area / key hole and spray a couple coats. Peel off what you dont want coverered and your good.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tulsa6MTSedan
Jackie Cooper Imports (Certified Infiniti Dealership) in Tulsa=A holes.
I agree, but some of the techs have done good by me. The managers and customer service reps are terrible. I recently decided to never go back there, after they told me a front suspension rattle is caused by my aftermarket exhaust.

Semi related to this thread is steering wheel leather. Anybody have trouble with it peeling off? Can you buy a new wrap?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm just gonna end up dipping them. If it doesn't work well, then whatever I'll just live with it.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Update - dipped my door trim today. It was a bitch to pry out without damaging it, but it came out eventually. You can still see the scratches a little bit even after 4 coats of plastidip, but it looks 10x better. I say it's worth it. Just gotta be careful on the drivers side not to spray over the side mirror adjustment **** (I put tape over it) and also the little picture of the mirror below it, if you care.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM
There is a TSB on the steering wheel trim. Check with your local dealer, they might be able to do it for you. The bezel is available separate, you don't have to buy the whole steering wheel. P/n for the bezel is 48463-JK07A, it's black.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:40 AM
It's still possible to get them replaced. I just had mine on my 2007 G35S replaced for free by Perry Infiniti in Escondido, CA. I had just spent quite a bit there on some repairs, but nonetheless was able to get all four door trims and the steering wheel trim replaced, as well as the drivers door weather stripping. Definitely worth checking into.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The door handles and steering trim sucks and they know it... it's like a very soft ultra thin layer of plastidip... it's Gross to look at because the rest of my car is immaculate! Just going to wait for a weekend to take it apart and sand it down to wrap it in 3m carbon fiber wrap...

Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by v36skyrine
The door handles and steering trim sucks and they know it... it's like a very soft ultra thin layer of plastidip... it's Gross to look at because the rest of my car is immaculate! Just going to wait for a weekend to take it apart and sand it down to wrap it in 3m carbon fiber wrap...
Same thing with the shift ****. It's like, "hey, let's put a cheap shitty finish on the things that'll be handled the most".

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ikr... it's cool and all if you want to try to go through warranty... but it's just going to happen again over and over... you'll deal with it for as long as you own your far... this is my second g... same issues... but everything else about the car helps me see past it lol

Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure if this went anywhere, but I just bought my G ~5 months ago.
And so +1 on the chipping steering wheel and shifter as well as the door panels around the locks and automatic window buttons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?