G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Car is donezo...off on a tow truck to the dealers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF over a week to find out its a broken valve spring and to get a loaner. Definitely bad service...

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Glad to hear you are covered and got your loaner. Still this dealer deserves some bad press for using your age in justifying the denial of loaner car. In any case, I hope your intermittent vibration problems are related to this and will be taken care of also.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Glad to hear you are covered and got your loaner. Still this dealer deserves some bad press for using your age in justifying the denial of loaner car. In any case, I hope your intermittent vibration problems are related to this and will be taken care of also.
I am wondering this myself but a weak spring i don't think would make the whole front end shake at random times...trying to see the symptoms of weak springs and most just say loss of power over 4000 RPM's..but who knows...hell ill take the vibrations i was having..i just want my dam car fixed

Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Yea, in the situation were the dealer, Infiniti North America are not helping, its BBB time.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out man!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Glad to hear it worked out man!
Thanks. It was about time something was done...now i am buying the 24K Elite Protection plan this week so it's an expensive week

Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Thanks. It was about time something was done...now i am buying the 24K Elite Protection plan this week so it's an expensive week
Glad to hear that it all worked out. That's got to be so relieving. As much as I want an extended warranty on mine just in case, I have only one dealer in all of my state (Utah) and I absolutely hate them.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I am wondering this myself but a weak spring i don't think would make the whole front end shake at random times...trying to see the symptoms of weak springs and most just say loss of power over 4000 RPM's..but who knows...hell ill take the vibrations i was having..i just want my dam car fixed
well in reality if you swap your plug wires (back in the day) and the car is misfiring you get a wicked shake in the front. in the same way, if your valvetrain is not in time with itself then you could have had misfiring or the potential for gas binding, etc., i would imagine not clearing the cylinders in time or mixing exhaust with gas could cause misfiring and high vibration easily enough.

i have to imagine if the spring was weak or kinked then that's probably why it was intermittent and sometimes speed dependent, perhaps the spring was moving around a little in it's retainer.

the good thing is that their work is warrantied, so if they mess up it's on THEM!

glad to hear you're on the road to getting it back.

Bob

Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Glad to hear it worked out. Just wondering what "special" tool they needed to check for a broken valve spring. Missing a 10mm to take off the valve cover?? LOL It's odd that the tech would not have all the required tools in his box. And if he didn't then the shop would have it in their "shop tools" collection.

Stall tactic for sure. Probably trying to find a way to put you on the hook for the repair!

Oh well, it's taken care of now (for now). Let us know how the repair comes out!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I was thinking about this broken valve spring issue, and it ocurred to me that it's possible that the piston could have struck the valve. Is the dealership doing anything to ensure this didn't happen? Have the scoped the inside of the cylinder to see. Are they going to replace the valve in case it was slightly bent? Also, since they are acknowledging that the motor may have had a manufacturing defect, why are you paying for an extended warranty? It seems like THEY should be providing it.

I just hope that in your zeal to get the car fixed, and your relief that you don't have to pay for that fix, and your youth(no offense), that you don't let them skate away from owning up to their full obligations toward you and your car. Many dealers would readily take advantage in this situation.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I was thinking about this broken valve spring issue, and it ocurred to me that it's possible that the piston could have struck the valve. Is the dealership doing anything to ensure this didn't happen? Have the scoped the inside of the cylinder to see. Are they going to replace the valve in case it was slightly bent? Also, since they are acknowledging that the motor may have had a manufacturing defect, why are you paying for an extended warranty? It seems like THEY should be providing it.

I just hope that in your zeal to get the car fixed, and your relief that you don't have to pay for that fix, and your youth(no offense), that you don't let them skate away from owning up to their full obligations toward you and your car. Many dealers would readily take advantage in this situation.

They said it was caught in time before any other damage was caused. But I really don't trust them any more. If the piston hit the valve what would that cause? Will it still sound terrible even if they fix the springs?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
They said it was caught in time before any other damage was caused. But I really don't trust them any more. If the piston hit the valve what would that cause? Will it still sound terrible even if they fix the springs?
When you get PTV contact, you get some or all: bent valves, damaged valve guides, damaged heads (i.e. new heads), damaged pistons.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Glad your car is getting fixed. I work at a Lexus dealer. Please talk to someone that is familiar with the internal workings of a dealership and more-so the internal workings of a car before you let some of this advice get you to upset. When cars break it's a Hugh inconvenience to the customer, but not all dealerships are evil. If you keeps listening to the information you get here your going to do nothing more than add to your misery. Feel free to pm me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Chris

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
When you get PTV contact, you get some or all: bent valves, damaged valve guides, damaged heads (i.e. new heads), damaged pistons.
So i am guessing if i get the car back and it sounds and runs fine i can assume they were correct in that there was no contact or other damage besides the spring?

Doing some research and if there is contact..you would see the valve at a lower point than normal when you are looking at the springs..so you should be able to tell by just looking at it.

If the valve dropped and did touch, you wouldn't see the valve at all like in this picture

This picture has a broken springs, but no valve drop and nothing needs to be replaced other than the spring which i believe is my case

i would imagine not clearing the cylinders in time or mixing exhaust with gas could cause misfiring and high vibration easily enough.
You would think i would get a misfire or engine code though

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 03-21-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yea WOW. its cool to see at least something has gone forward now, and you are in a loaner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car is donezo...off on a tow truck to the dealers...