G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Car is donezo...off on a tow truck to the dealers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
So i am guessing if i get the car back and it sounds and runs fine i can assume they were correct in that there was no contact or other damage besides the spring?

LET"S HOPE, but better yet, why not let the dealer fully disclose what investigation (of the cylinders) they have done at ensure rather than assume just because it can't easily be seen.

Doing some research and if there is contact..you would see the valve at a lower point than normal when you are looking at the springs..so you should be able to tell by just looking at it.

That is true to an extent. I guess it would depend how severe the contact was.

If the valve dropped and did touch, you wouldn't see the valve at all like in this picture

I thought this was closer to what you were describing.

This picture has a broken springs, but no valve drop and nothing needs to be replaced other than the spring which i believe is my case

Hopefully this is true i your case. Theoretically, if there was valve float because of the weakened spring action, it's still possible to encounter interference. I do not know whether the tolerances involved in this case could have allowed for that to happen though. You said you had two broken springs. I just assumed they were on the same valve (Don't we have double springs?) and not on two separate valves.

You would think i would get a misfire or engine code though

SEE comments within ^^^

Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
If the valve dropped and did touch, you wouldn't see the valve at all like in this picture

I thought this was closer to what you were describing.
The noise i was describing sounded like that is what happened but guess i was wrong..i am calling tomorrow to see if it's close to being fixed yet.

If the springs were weak..do you think this was causing my steering and some seat vibrations that were intermittent and i could not locate? I am hoping it may have been the cause but i am not confident it will fix that.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I can't remember if you said or not, but did that vibration coincide exactly with the valve noise? I could definitely imagine some vibration coming from the engine if it was down a cylinder, maybe that's what it was.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I can't remember if you said or not, but did that vibration coincide exactly with the valve noise? I could definitely imagine some vibration coming from the engine if it was down a cylinder, maybe that's what it was.
See i didn't get valve noise until i heard this noise which i assume was the springs breaking and then the loud ticking..the engine was quiet first 2,000 miles i had it..just a strange vibration that i could never find. Bough new tires and had many people look at it only to find nothing..oh well

Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
mehh IDK, if the vibration was going on for 2k miles, I doubt if the springs are the cause.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
mehh IDK, if the vibration was going on for 2k miles, I doubt if the springs are the cause.
Same here

Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'll be very surprised to learn that these two seperate issues are related.
I suppose anything is possible, but they just don't seem to have anything to do with each other.
Your vibe was only really during highway speeds. The engine experiences different RPM ranges at all speeds, so the vibe would have needed to be more related to RPM than speed alone, so I just dont think they're related.

With that being said, my fingers are crossed for ya.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I'll be very surprised to learn that these two seperate issues are related.
I suppose anything is possible, but they just don't seem to have anything to do with each other.
Your vibe was only really during highway speeds. The engine experiences different RPM ranges at all speeds, so the vibe would have needed to be more related to RPM than speed alone, so I just dont think they're related.

With that being said, my fingers are crossed for ya.
If not..ill just live with it..maybe warmer weather will fix it..who knows

I still may have to borrow your extra set of tires and rims in a few weeks!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
UPDATE:

It's not the valve spring..it looked damaged..replaced it and still major noise..going to be at least another week..they think it's bottom end now....i hate everything with a passion

It's their F'up now so no matter what needs to be replaced will be..but i might not see my car for a month now

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
Sorry to hear, man. As long as you don't have to pay for anything

Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Man that's messed up

Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by jake_91306
Sorry to hear, man. As long as you don't have to pay for anything
I get to keep the loaner till the day it's fixed and don't have to pay...i have a feeling i will be getting a new engine...who knows anymore

Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
I get to keep the loaner till the day it's fixed and don't have to pay...i have a feeling i will be getting a new engine...who knows anymore
Anyway to get them to buy the car back from you and get you into another 07x model?

Seems like a ton of work on a car... if it is major work then they could just total it for insurance purposes rather than spend 10k on warranty costs.

Just thinking... any wiggle room on lemon law with this one...? Probably not since it sounds like you had the car for a while...

Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
Anyway to get them to buy the car back from you and get you into another 07x model?

Seems like a ton of work on a car... if it is major work then they could just total it for insurance purposes rather than spend 10k on warranty costs.

Just thinking... any wiggle room on lemon law with this one...? Probably not since it sounds like you had the car for a while...
Lemon law in MA for my mileage was 30 days....wayyy out of that at this point.

All the hours that has gone into the car already with still no idea and just today they have to start completely over... has to be in the thousands..i wonder if they would total it...can only speculate now

Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hang in their man. At least it's on them now to try and isolate the problem. And you still have the loaner which is definitely good. Hope they can provide you answers either way soon. Sounds like a new engine is needed but like everyone has said maybe just as easy to total it and get you into something else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car is donezo...off on a tow truck to the dealers...