G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08
View Poll Results: (5at drivers) When you downshift in DS, do you match revs?
YES! I am a skilled rev matcher!
53.33%
No. I do not know how.
40.00%
What does that mean? Dunno what DS is...
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Rev Matching (5at)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by G3Sx
I beg to differ... Don't ask me how I know. There is something scary about seeing the tach creep past 8k when the factory rev limiter is at around 7600. I reacted properly though and no harm was done. The engine can safely rev to 8k, but if you start messing with downshifting by "double clicking" the left paddle at too high an rpm for a double downshift, you had better know what revs you'll end up at after the tranny drops 2 gears down.
I'm not sure if the safety was designed with downshifting more than one gear at a time in mind. So I thought I'd mention it.
Yes it happens, Fuel Cut is at 7600, sometimes the tach lags behind.

Also the tranny will not downshift until you are at the proper speed for the gear.

The tranny can do what ever you want it to do. If it was bad for the tranny it would not do it. AKA Downshifting to first from 5th at 70 mph it wont do it.

Down shifting 2 gears, sure that's fine.

All the shifter does in the cabin is tell the TCU to downshift two gears. Your not forcing the transmission to do anything.

Again if you tell the transmission to do something bad it will not do it.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
WOW. screensaver, malice, and steadfast how are you all so ignorant? One person that ignorant, fair enough. But there are 3 of you. That's what makes it so sad. Maybe its my fault for not describing it clearly enough. Or maybe rev matching wasn't the word I was looking for. Is there even a word short for "tapping gas pedal during a downshift before the gears engage, in order to prevent the car from lurching but instead smoothly shifts without lurching". If that's not 5at downshifting, please inform me what is it. Possibly I have been the ignorant one here instead...
Eagerly awaiting your responses.....

Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait, aren't you the OP? Sorry, we forgot about you.
To answer your question: No. I personally do not tap the throttle in auto during a downshift. The auto tranny (due to its design nature) never completely disengages from the motor during shifts, so it's somewhat pointless. If you feel it making a difference, more power to ya. I was merely pointing out that if you double click the left paddle or click the shifter back twice quickly, the tranny will skip a gear downshifting. The ecu will need to blip the throttle harder, and you'll end up with a more pronounced rev match. Does the ecu do a perfect job every time? In my opinion, no.
Now can we get back to our pointless discussion of whatever it was?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
^ this made me laugh

Old 06-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure about you but my fairly outdated tranny (compared to yours at least) rev matches just fine. There will be a hiccup every now and then and it doesn't match it too well but never to the point to where it would buck, and even then that's a rare occasion. Maybe you should check your tranny for issues...

The last time I heard people talking about rev matching a 5at was for the 03-04 models...but even then, I'm assuming it isn't that great for your transmission since you're forcing it to rev while it's engaging slip in the torque converter.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Lol thanks for a more reasonable helpful response, I do not think it is a problem at all, it feels like it should though and my previous borrowed 330ci did it too... someone told me tonight that it might also be called downshift engine braking or something, but I'm just gonna drop the subject since no one has any clue what I'm talking about. Now I know never to ask hard questions like this here...maybe nico club...?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ You titled the post, Rev Matching. you OP continuously says Rev matching.

You don't explain your issue, and there is not such thing as rev matching in 05+ AT's

So you take your foot off the gas and blip the throttle when its downshifting?

I can be full on the Gas or of the gas it downshifts smoothly for me.

So you mean engine braking, is that why you think its rough? its changing to a different gear, with no load it will just engine brake.

If you get on the gas a little bit it will be smooth as butter reason being no engine braking.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers

You don't explain your issue, and there is not such thing as rev matching in 05+ AT's

So you mean engine braking, is that why you think its rough? its changing to a different gear, with no load it will just engine brake.

If you get on the gas a little bit it will be smooth as butter reason being no engine braking.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. OP you should thank that post lol

Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I am in DS mode I really don't so anything..... the tyranny seemed to be doing whatever it is supposed to be doing for me when it revs up before downshifting etc. I have an 08... is it different for other years?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaronK
When I am in DS mode I really don't so anything..... the tyranny seemed to be doing whatever it is supposed to be doing for me when it revs up before downshifting etc. I have an 08... is it different for other years?
OP is talking about manual mode when you shift yourself. DS does all the shifting for you

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers

Aha! dammit lol I knew I used the wrong word, well, thanks screensaver sorry for collin you ignorant when it was me

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?

/Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wsolo08
LOL what the fvck are you ranting about? who said they almost had you? isnt that a bit homo?

BY THE WAY, theres a thread about double clutching if you ACTUALLY think thats how you should shift... https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-drive-mt.html please read this ASAP to learn how to shift son
It was a quote from the first Fast and Furious, I thought it fit well in this thread. And yes, I am a skilled rev-matcher.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by malice9999
rev-matching an automatic transmission... really?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by ineedone
It was a quote from the first Fast and Furious, I thought it fit well in this thread. And yes, I am a skilled rev-matcher.
ah. my bad. dunno why im bein a d!ck today, imma just chill

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev Matching (5at)