G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

JWT Flywheel / Clutch Combo first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, concentric slave cylinder, because the way the input shaft passes through it, eliminating the clutch fork found on other setups

The following users liked this post:
Almightyone (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool! Appreciate that. I haven't seen it abbreviated like that. Just always saw it listed as slave cylinder. I wasn't aware there is a aftermarket one made for the g35. EDIT: Just looked on zspeeds site they only carry it for the Hr motor. Does the rev-up not have the same type slave cylinder?

Last edited by Almightyone; 03-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Correct, older trans used a slave mounted to the side with a clutch fork so a slave can be swapped without removing the trans.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnPawlak
I agree, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the stock pressure plate and the light flywheel. I have a new, but stock CSC and so far no problems (been about 4 months). If it fails, I'll either do the Zspeed or just go back to a stock pressure plate and keep the light flywheel.

A few other comments -

Everyone always says the light flywheels are noisy or "chatter" and although I now have had the same experience, it never made sense to me. I'm 99% sure the following it what is actually going on:

<> It's not the flywheel itself making the noise - it's the fingers of the pressure plate which are acting like half-tuning forks.

<> When the clutch pedal isn't pressed in, the CSC is not touching the end of the fingers and they are free to vibrate.

<> With a relatively heavy flywheel, even at low RPM (say 700 RPM = 11.7 RPS = 35 engine fires / sec = 29 ms between fires) the engine isn't changing speed much between fires. The heavier the flywheel, the less speed variation.

<> A heavy dual-mass flywheel is even better, as it can be tuned via. spring rate and mass choice to have no speed variation on the clutch-side of the flywheel at a particular engine speed and load. Think of it as each cylinder fire compressing the springs, which slowly (relatively) release energy and ideally completely unload just as the next engine fire comes along. The engine-side of the flywheel has a changing speed, varying 3 times a revolution in the case of a V6, but the clutch-side of the flywheel is spinning at a constant rate.

<> Since the clutch-side of the flywheel is spinning nice and smooth, there is no energy present to vibrate the clutch plate fingers.

<> Switch to a light-weight flywheel, and all of this changes. The clutch side of the flywheel is now varying in speed, and this energy can go into vibrating the pressure plate fingers which can make a racket.

<> If you do something to increase the load on the engine at idle, like say turn on the AC, the speed will vary even more, and the noise will get worse.

<> Step on the clutch pedal and the CSC moves out towards the pressure plate fingers, contacting them and stopping them from vibrating, and the noise stops.

<> If you kick up the idle a bit, and get more fires/sec, you'll get less speed variation, and less noise.

<> I think the V6 configuration also makes this worse than it would be for a straight six. V6's are inherently unbalanced. If this sounds crazy there is a nice non-technical write up at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.
For a really, really technical analysis you can read the last chapter of Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design, but this get's very deep very fast.

<> The inherent V6 imbalance is not rotational, but end to end rocking, but even so this can't help the situation. I've put light flywheels in straight sixes, and had chatter, but never to the extent this car does. I'm guessing it's the V6 vs. I6 balance.

I've been really tempted to design a chatter damper for this problem, and even have a design I think would work, but who has time to rip out the transmission every time you want to test a design variation? I also think the strange-looking secondary springs in the stock pressure plate that are not present in the JWT design are just this - springs whos sole purpose is to try to damp out the noise.

I'd love to know if someone trys stock pressure plate + JWT flywheel if the chatter is better.
If the 'CHATTER' you are referring to here is the noise I always hear in my 6MT myself and commonly see others referring to as the "bucket-of-bolts" or "cement mixer" sounds, then I disagree with you. It is not caused by pressure plate fingers acting as tuning forks, it is the actual gears on the transmission shafts rattling. Classically, it is those gear noises, at low rpms or idling in neutral, that all who remove the dual mass have reported. The noise is always there to some extent, but removing the dual mass fly eliminates the damping that is provided by the factory and the noise becomes loud and unmistakeable.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
That sounds about right, my trans had a gargling gravel sound before the jwt clutch flywheel, though now it is maybe 50% louder

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
^^ Exactly, and that has nothing to do with pressure plate fingers acting as tuning forks.

EDIT: What you're actually hearing is the same noise you'd hear if you had the tranny out on a bench (with the clutch and pressure plate completely out of the picture), shifted it to neutral, and then twisted the input shaft vigorously back and forth. There is some play on the gears on that shaft, and when you make rotational (twisting) pulses on that shaft, you can hear the gears clinking and clacking as they take up the slack one way or the other. Due to the inherent pulsations of torque from a V6 engine, the same effect is occurring, although the torque is always in the same direction.

Last edited by vqsmile; 03-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You are absolutely right......

Originally Posted by vqsmile
^^ Exactly, and that has nothing to do with pressure plate fingers acting as tuning forks.

EDIT: What you're actually hearing is the same noise you'd hear if you had the tranny out on a bench (with the clutch and pressure plate completely out of the picture), shifted it to neutral, and then twisted the input shaft vigorously back and forth. There is some play on the gears on that shaft, and when you make rotational (twisting) pulses on that shaft, you can hear the gears clinking and clacking as they take up the slack one way or the other. Due to the inherent pulsations of torque from a V6 engine, the same effect is occurring, although the torque is always in the same direction.
So, if you were right, if you had the car running in neutral with the AC on (for some load), if you pushed the clutch in only enough to engage the release bearing (CSC) against the clutch fingers, but not enough to stop the input shaft of the trans from spinning, than you would still hear the cement mixer sound. I just tried it, and you are absolutely right - it still sounds like a cement mixer even with the CSC lightly pressed against the clutch. What surprizes me is that the rings, spacers, sync cones, gears etc. would be loose enough on the input shaft to sound like that. Is this just particular to this manual trans.? I would have guessed all that stuff goes together with just a few thousands clearance, (the last time I rebuilt a manual trans. was in the early 80's, and it was a four speed out of a Ford so I really can't remember). Is it that a few thousands clearance is still enough to make noise, or is it that that to have the many parts on the input shaft go together the assembly has to have relatively large clearance? Would heavier weight oil help? New trans? Learn to live with it? Thanks.....

Last edited by JohnPawlak; 03-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ unfortunately this is very normal with these cars and is in fact as VQ stated, however i get NO such sounds 99% of the time which is strange considering every other G i see or drive has it so ut is a very pleasant surprise for me!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Very interesting to read some technical talk regarding our clutch and transmissions, particularly the rattling noises. I figure there will be more and more clutch talk as our generation of G's age and a wave of clutch replacement becomes more common. Thanks for all the good info guys!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by JohnPawlak
So, if you were right, if you had the car running in neutral with the AC on (for some load), if you pushed the clutch in only enough to engage the release bearing (CSC) against the clutch fingers, but not enough to stop the input shaft of the trans from spinning, than you would still hear the cement mixer sound. I just tried it, and you are absolutely right - it still sounds like a cement mixer even with the CSC lightly pressed against the clutch. What surprizes me is that the rings, spacers, sync cones, gears etc. would be loose enough on the input shaft to sound like that. Is this just particular to this manual trans.? I would have guessed all that stuff goes together with just a few thousands clearance, (the last time I rebuilt a manual trans. was in the early 80's, and it was a four speed out of a Ford so I really can't remember). Is it that a few thousands clearance is still enough to make noise, or is it that that to have the many parts on the input shaft go together the assembly has to have relatively large clearance? Would heavier weight oil help? New trans? Learn to live with it? Thanks.....
I do not know the actual assembly tolerances of the 6MT, but I don't think it is particularly different than other transmissions, nor do I think that it is the heart of the issue here. In this case, it's my understanding that the, somewhat "jackhammer" like, power delivery from the VQ engine presents a rather worst case scenario for operating a quiet, civilized, yet sporty manual transmission. It is what causes the "chattering" and necessitates the dual mass fly. Without the dual mass fly, you're subject to the full effect of the rapid fire, staccato impulses which jostle the input shaft of the tranny; there's no way around it. (btw, there is a sad corollary of negative effects from these same impulses for those who opt for an un-dampened, light-weight crank pulley) Switching to an oil that would be heavy enough to mitigate the noises, if that's even possible, would undoubtedly have negative consequences for normal shifting. You could try it; you might get a wee bit of relief there, but it will be at the direct cost of shifting quality. Nope, IMHO, to get away from it, you'd need to get another type of engine which would be to abandon the single most wonderful thing about the G; its amazing VQ engine. Without the dual mass fly, my advice would be just to learn to love your crazy little cement truck.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MIshmosh i have the same issue you have. when changing gears(esp 1st to 2nd at high RPM's) it will not catch and the clutch pedal feels mushy for a few seconds. I have never ran into this problem in 15 yrs of driving an MT so... im no expert but i would love to know what the hell is the problem and how to fix it. any suggestions would be great. and johnpawlak good stuff!!!