G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08G35XS Better with SNOW Mode OFF???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08G35XS Better with SNOW Mode OFF???

So I am building off of the earlier thread here...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...4-quattro.html

But recently we had another snow storm in Denver, and i have been driving with the Snow mode turned on. As I posted in the tread above it seems like I can get my back end to kick out pretty easily under light to moderate throttle during turns and in a straight line.

So I just assumed it was my tires, which are near new Mich Arctic Alpin PA2 V rated ice Tires.. I just figured that they were more performance oriented.

However for some reason I decided to turn off my Snow mode and drive around and the results suprised me..

I am now certain that with the SNOW mode on my front wheels were not getting power all the time. For example when I make a slow speed turn, the car acts as if it was only RWD (the back end slides out) and then all of a sudden the front would grab slightly and pull me out of the high angle drift.

However when i turned the SNOW mode OFF the car behaves like the front wheels are pulling me as well as getting a push from the rear wheels. It feels way more like AWD should. It is harder for me to slide the car when I am in a turn with throttle applied. I can drift but not lose the back end as badly when I am in snow mode. So it is almost opposite of what I though the car would do.

I thought the SNOW button was suppose to lock the 4 wheels into 50/50 split up untill 20ish mph... But all the stuff I have tried is from 0-30mph.

In other words the SNOW button is useless in the car as it drives better and has better traction with it off.

Let me know if any of u guys have tried this or have run into this.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
snow mode does the 50/50 up to 20mph range, but also makes the car drive more limited.

When snow mode is on, you will notice the throttle is being controlled, which in turn is not allowing you to put all the power down to the wheels, but a limited amount that the system feels is appropriate.

This feature is for those people that find the G's power a bit much to handle in snow and prefer not to let the rear end slip out, and have problems feathering the throttle. The snow mode makes driving in the snow dummy proof, no rear kick out, and smooth (but slower) acceleration.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
snow mode does the 50/50 up to 20mph range, but also makes the car drive more limited.

When snow mode is on, you will notice the throttle is being controlled, which in turn is not allowing you to put all the power down to the wheels, but a limited amount that the system feels is appropriate.

This feature is for those people that find the G's power a bit much to handle in snow and prefer not to let the rear end slip out, and have problems feathering the throttle. The snow mode makes driving in the snow dummy proof, no rear kick out, and smooth (but slower) acceleration.
Well that is what I am trying to say.. It should do everything you are talking about, but what I am experiencing is that it almost makes it strictly RWD and does not change the trottle response.

I am comparing this to my GF 2005 G35x and when she is in snow mode it slows the car down and decreases throttle respose ect.

I am wondering if my SNOW mode is broken..

Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 is a different rev of the car, you can't comparer the 2, that being said.

go to the dealer, and tell them whats up. they might find a problem

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I was driving around in the same storm and did some experimenting with the snow mode also. On the side streets near the foothills we had a foot of powder. With snow mode off I plowed through it sliding a little here and there (fun). With snow mode on it felt so much smoother through the powder. Less slippage and I felt extremely confident. If I was on a tight road with cliffs on each side and snow on the ground I would be confident with snow mode on. Big notice in throttle response for me also.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe i should mention that I have the VSC off when I am doing all this driving.

None of this happens when i have the VSC on... the car wont slide ect.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I did not touch vdc while driving. It was on the whole time. FYI. I would imagine without vdc it would be harder to control the car in OR out of snow mode.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
The Snow mode on my car seems to really reduce the throttle sensitivity, but if I floor it in snow mode, the car still gets up and goes. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the VDC. I'm told it locks the car at 50/50 F/R, but even without snow mode on the front wheels are engaged.

If I turn off the VDC in snow, the car acts as you describe regardless of snow mode or not. The car will very easily oversteer in corners and the rear end slides all over the place. Just because it's AWD doesn't mean the rear end won't lose traction. This car (with VDC off) handles a lot like other AWD cars I've owned in the snow.

Solution? Leave the VDC on when driving in snow. If you find the slip light blinking a lot and you are struggling for traction, use the SNOW mode to reduce sensitivity and ensure power is going to both front and rear.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
i was down south from you in the CO springs area and i had no problems driving around in the snow with the snow mode on

i think it was because you turned your VDC off

Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
+1^ , However your throttle sensitivity should be reduced when snow mode is on. I haven't floored it in snow mode but I can tell a huge difference at slow speeds.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by msu2001la
The Snow mode on my car seems to really reduce the throttle sensitivity, but if I floor it in snow mode, the car still gets up and goes. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the VDC. I'm told it locks the car at 50/50 F/R, but even without snow mode on the front wheels are engaged.

If I turn off the VDC in snow, the car acts as you describe regardless of snow mode or not. The car will very easily oversteer in corners and the rear end slides all over the place. Just because it's AWD doesn't mean the rear end won't lose traction. This car (with VDC off) handles a lot like other AWD cars I've owned in the snow.

Solution? Leave the VDC on when driving in snow. If you find the slip light blinking a lot and you are struggling for traction, use the SNOW mode to reduce sensitivity and ensure power is going to both front and rear.

Well i guess I was looking for feeling all 4 wheels to grip and pull in the snow. For example if you drive a FWD car in the snow the back end will NEVER slide out. If you ever have driven an SUV or a full time 4wd the back end really does not slide out the whole car will go into a 4 wheel drift but not just the rear end. I have driven other Subarus and Audi's and Caddie SUV's that would have never slid out the back end so much, I am wondering what awd cars you are talking about.

I guess I was hoping with the VDC off and with Snow mode on that I would be able to get all 4 wheels to engage ... I really am not that impressed with the snow mode. In my Lexus the snow mode made my car feel like it was missing 100hp. My GF used to joke with me while driving and turn it on bc the throttle response felt like it was on novicane.

I challenge you guys... especially the ones in Colorado next time it snows. Take your VDC off and then throttle it a bit around in a clear road or parking lot. I think you will be suprised how easily the back end will slide out.

Try using snow mode and then take snow mode off. See if you get the same results.

I am just saying that I think the front wheels should engage more.

This car is a bit tail happy.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
Well i guess I was looking for feeling all 4 wheels to grip and pull in the snow. For example if you drive a FWD car in the snow the back end will NEVER slide out. If you ever have driven an SUV or a full time 4wd the back end really does not slide out the whole car will go into a 4 wheel drift but not just the rear end. I have driven other Subarus and Audi's and Caddie SUV's that would have never slid out the back end so much, I am wondering what awd cars you are talking about.

I guess I was hoping with the VDC off and with Snow mode on that I would be able to get all 4 wheels to engage ... I really am not that impressed with the snow mode. In my Lexus the snow mode made my car feel like it was missing 100hp. My GF used to joke with me while driving and turn it on bc the throttle response felt like it was on novicane.

I challenge you guys... especially the ones in Colorado next time it snows. Take your VDC off and then throttle it a bit around in a clear road or parking lot. I think you will be suprised how easily the back end will slide out.

Try using snow mode and then take snow mode off. See if you get the same results.

I am just saying that I think the front wheels should engage more.

This car is a bit tail happy.
The 2005 Subaru WRX I used to own would definitely get "tail happy" in the snow if you got on the gas while going around a corner. I've driven other full-time AWD cars like the Mitsubishi EVO and the same is true.

The WRX was very easy to slide the back end around with. Just ease on the gas during a tight turn and it would spin right around. Easier and more controlled than the G35X in fact. It had a short wheelbase and a 50/50 split.

The G35X is a RWD based platform and handles very much like a RWD car. Expecting it to handle like a FWD car or FWD based AWD car (like many SUV's) in the snow is just not realistic. I would also add that the VDC does a very good job of keeping this car from sliding at all, so if that is your concern you should definitely leave it on. The car will not be tail happy at all with VDC on, even if you don't use snow mode.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Yep, what he said. If I want some fun in the MN snow, off goes the VDC, the back end whips around like mad if i'm past whatever the speed of disengagement is, i've seen 12mph, 31, and 40. I'm leaning in the 12mph direction given how easily it is to whip around going 15mph.
snow mode is just a bottle of beer for the G, just gets slow....

Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
This is what I am talking about...

I dont know what this guy has on regarding his settings, but you can see how his rear wheels are turning more than his front.

This is especially evident when you see the car pivot around the front end. You can see him not having any traction in the front end. Hence why he can almost spin on the same spot. Then there are times where the car does pull from the front.

The Snow setting is what it is, but I was thinking with the snow mode on I could get it to look more like this. As it is suppose to do more of a 50/50 split especially at these speeds.

I would say that the WRX does not look like its having as much fun bc the rear end is helped more by the front wheels. It does more of a 4 wheel drift rather than having the back end sliding everywhere. The car moves forward and covers more distance more bc the front wheels are pulling it while the rear are pushing. Yes the back end slides out... but not like in the G.

I would also ask why its not reasonable for the car to behave like an AWD car? That is what it is advertised as? I am just pointing out that it seems to be lacking in getting the power to the front wheels during times of slipping. I just figured that is what Snow mode is suppose to do.

As the other thread talks about the Subaru and Audi systems are way better when it comes to AWD. But I am still baffled why the front wheels dont pull more on this car.

I will say that the G sounds much better = ) More throaty...

Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't think the g35 is AWD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 08G35XS Better with SNOW Mode OFF???