G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Dash peeling (PASSENGER SIDE)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All that nonsense about Armor All is baseless and ridiculous. I read into that a while ago and there was all this "information" online about how the silicone hardened the plastic and made it offgas blah blah blah. Don't you think the ChemEs at Armor All would have figured that out by now, don't you think the lawsuits would be flying in? There was a whole thread about this on Meguiars and Mike Philips stepped in and he said that, in fact, many Meguiars products used silicone and he spoke with an engineer there who confirmed the silicone was inert and did no such thing. BTW, I've checked the MSDSs for many of these products and the ingredients are all basically the same, be it Armor All, Meguiars, Turtle Wax, 3M, Lexol, Pledge...the list goes on and on. You will find in a lot of enthusiasts circles people buy expensive stuff because they love their cars, then hate on cheap stuff to feel better about their purchase. I don't use it my seats since its greasy/slippery, and I don't use it on my dash since it looks really greasy on black, but I have a 20 year old Civic with a gray soft touch vinyl dash that I liked to look greasy, and it still looks great, used Armor All and Pledge on it for years...no cracks, still soft. Use F21 on my Gs dash and that has (GASP) silicone in it too, no peeling, looks good, shiny without looking greasy. Blue magic leather conditioner and no cracks there either.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by vdoh8687
I don't use it my seats since its greasy/slippery, and I don't use it on my dash since it looks really greasy on black...
Yep, that's pretty much how I feel about it too; not to mention that it attracts dust and pollen into all that goo and makes a royal mess that eventually has to be cleaned up . . . and for that alone, I don't think concerns about its use are baseless, ridiculous, or nonsense.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I want to see pics of the dash being peeled apart.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Yep, that's pretty much how I feel about it too; not to mention that it attracts dust and pollen into all that goo and makes a royal mess that eventually has to be cleaned up . . . and for that alone, I don't think concerns about its use are baseless, ridiculous, or nonsense.
The concerns being discussed regarded it drying out or cracking dashboards/plastics etc, that is what i was referring to, and they are nonsense.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I want to see pics of the dash being peeled apart.
+1

Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
split on the passenger side

sticky to the touch

split around ac vent

Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
^^ Dang, that's the worst I've ever seen on a V36. DOes your car routinely bake in the sun? Or has it possibly been cleaned with a solvent as some point in its life?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ thats not a v36 thats v35 with the harder dash, and quite honestly just looking at the dash you can tell how dry it has become, the owner should have spent some time cleaning the dash perhaps twice a month depending on the temperatures in the area with a good lubricating cleaner.

Last edited by kool_yaar; 07-12-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Wow that's crazy! Don't even know why it's sticky.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ thats not a v36 thats v35 with the harder dash, and quite honestly just looking at the dash you can tell how dry it has become, the owner should have spent some time cleaning the dash perhaps twice a month depending on the temperatures in the area with a good lubricating cleaner.
Bro.. I do clean the dash (and seats, windows and etc.).. every saturday.. I can every piece of surface in said the car. I even had the front windshield tinted to reduce sunlight on the dash. So you tell me why is the dash sticky and splitting? I would love to hear ya two cent. Even the dealer can't tell me why it is doing it..

Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what product are you using to clean the dash? it might be actually drying it out.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
i have tried an oil base, vinylex, armor all wipes, and the armor all spray. nothing never seem to work

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
Bro.. I do clean the dash (and seats, windows and etc.).. every saturday.. I can every piece of surface in said the car. I even had the front windshield tinted to reduce sunlight on the dash. So you tell me why is the dash sticky and splitting? I would love to hear ya two cent. Even the dealer can't tell me why it is doing it..
i didnt mean to come out harsh at you but my point exactly is as you said that what happened to your dash is not normal or common and therefore there has to be some explanation for it.

Usually it is lack of care of the dash but in your case that is not the problem since you do apparently care for it which could mean that armor all caused your dash to dry out which if you recall was a big issue with armorall a few years back with many car owners OR you unfortunately just ended up with a lemon considering all the other problems you seem to have with the car.

i too am curious how your dash got that bad if you took care of it so if you dont mind me asking: wat year is your car, how many miles do you have and wat are the average high temps in summer in your area?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 AM
^ thats not a v36 thats v35 with the harder dash, ....
Ahh, ok, my bad. I just assumed it was taken at some weird angle which I didn't recognize, but then I assumed, being in this section, it would be a V36.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
i too am curious how your dash got that bad if you took care of it so if you dont mind me asking: wat year is your car, how many miles do you have and wat are the average high temps in summer in your area?

No problem bro.. The car is an 2007.. bought it new.. The car has about 67K miles on it. I reside in south florida. The avg is about 93 give or take 2 degrees.

The products I have tried just don't seem to work.. My mom was telling me to use some vinegar to get rid of the "sticky" top part of the dash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dash peeling (PASSENGER SIDE)