G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   V36 sedan a good car? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/424307-v36-sedan-good-car.html)

gareth32295 03-12-2013 02:46 PM

V36 sedan a good car?

I am considering getting rid of my 03 G35 coupe and getting a V36 G35 sedan. I was wondering if there are any major problems with the V36 or any major reliability issues. Also how do you like your V36?

Thanks,
Gareth

bluedevils95 03-12-2013 02:50 PM

I love my V36. So far no problems on my end. Can't speak for the others.

kool_yaar 03-12-2013 03:34 PM

Love the V36, the most common issue that you will find all over the forums is the chipped/peeled door pulls and steering wheel trim(fixed in 08+ i believe) but even if you get 07 you can get the updated trim pieces for like ~$120-150 for four door pulls or cheaper if you can find used online.

Other than that the engine and tranny(MT) have held up great and if you go through the high mileage thread you will see many 100k+ V36 still running strong without any major problems

The biggest issue iv had is the steering rack that needs replacing and it has happened to many but not all members, the leak is not even noticeable given the PS fluid level never drops but you can see the smallest of leaks on the driver side which has been concluded as being the reason for a 'clunking' sound at times, so when you test drive one i suggest going over some bumps slowly as well as taking some slow sharp turns and moving the steering back and forth a few times at stand still and hear for any sounds.

Otherwise these cars are great, good luck with your search!

stockae92 03-12-2013 04:34 PM

Is the V36 sedan any good?

The V36 sedan is the only Japan made RWD sports sedan with a 6MT. :)

No major issue and TSB were taken care under warranty.

My only real complain is the clutch take up, still keep me guessing from time to time ... LOL

Otherwise are other minor things here or there, like ... why does the A/C has to be on when the fan and ciculate air are both on???

bluedevils95 03-12-2013 04:50 PM

Yeah about the door pulls chipping, i know your going to be out of warranty but you can customise that yourself and make it look better. What i did is color matched it to the car. You can see for yourself if you do a search under mycardomain. Just use my screen name

matts08x 03-12-2013 09:20 PM

These cars are a great bang for the buck. You will get the performance and luxury items included for a fraction of the cost of other luxury sports sedans. As far as reliability, from what everyone says, these cars are the real deal. Very good drivetrain. Good luck in your search. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

hyukki 03-13-2013 01:31 AM

173k here without any major problems!

djfarhan 03-13-2013 09:49 AM

do it!!!!!!

vdoh8687 03-13-2013 10:12 AM

Biggest things to check for would probably be the peeling interior trim, and if the brake TSB has been done to prevent warping.

Wheel bearings are suspect, but that is not that big of a deal (power train warranty covers it). A decent number of members have has leaking steering racks lately (myself included), but if its not a bad leak you can just top it off every oil change (keeps the fluid fresh lol).

emorehs 03-15-2013 12:20 AM

I came from G35 coupe also.. after owning my coupe for 5 yrs, driving V36 is so much different. I feel like I get so spoiled with all the technology I have now. I got 07 tech package, my only rant about it are interior trims chipped/peeled (door/steering wheel) watch out for the AC compressor noise, brake TSB and seems like some of i know have the issue to their leaking steering racks. but all in all I did not get disappointed changing from coupe to sedan..:driving:

Monky 03-16-2013 11:14 AM

I have an 08 G35x sedan and have had no major issues so far. I do have chipping issue mentioned above and once in a while the clunking noise.

Having said this, the factory brakes seem to wear down VERY quickly. I need to replace the rear pads at 36,000kms. Also, I am used to seeing front brakes wear twice as fast as rear brakes but it seems reversed for the G. Maybe when the fronts wear out, I need to go to after market rotors/pads.

cbrseadude 03-17-2013 08:12 AM

I've owned my G35s sedan for 3 years, one of the best cars I've ever owned, I currently am experiencing a problem with the throttle after replacing the battery, looks like a pcm reflash is needed to fix it, other then that it's just been oil changes and smiles. This body style is very attractive, and will always be. The chipped interior pieces can all be replaced in an hour, I had my steering wheel off, trim replaced and reinstalled in 30 minutes or less, the door pulls just pop out. I will be selling or trading mine in soon, only because I'm wanting a change, getting a 4 door Jeep Wrangler to tow my Seadoo RXPX.

Afty 03-18-2013 12:19 AM

I have an '08 sedan that has had a few problems:

1) Chipped interior trim, as others have said. It was out of bumper-to-bumper warranty by the time I got it, so I won't get it fixed. Doesn't really bother me.

2) Worn 5th gear synchro in the manual transmission. Had the transmission replaced under powertrain warranty. This is kind of worrisome since I plan to keep the car for 4-6 more years, and I wouldn't want to pay for a new transmission myself.

3) Bad wheel bearing. Replaced under powertrain warranty. Not a big deal even if you have to pay for it.

That said, it's my favorite car that I've owned. It puts a smile on my face every time I accelerate with the windows down and hear that VQ roar. I would definitely buy another one.

ChinkyChoy 03-18-2013 10:22 AM

you can do better

matts08x 03-18-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Afty (Post 6715935)
I have an '08 sedan that has had a few problems:

1) Chipped interior trim, as others have said. It was out of bumper-to-bumper warranty by the time I got it, so I won't get it fixed. Doesn't really bother me.

2) Worn 5th gear synchro in the manual transmission. Had the transmission replaced under powertrain warranty. This is kind of worrisome since I plan to keep the car for 4-6 more years, and I wouldn't want to pay for a new transmission myself.

3) Bad wheel bearing. Replaced under powertrain warranty. Not a big deal even if you have to pay for it.

That said, it's my favorite car that I've owned. It puts a smile on my face every time I accelerate with the windows down and hear that VQ roar. I would definitely buy another one.

Not to hijack the thread (I already answered the OP question so I'm allowed to ask this :)), but for powertrain warranty problems alone, MUST the work be done at an Infiniti dealer or can it be done by an independent mechanic? I'm thinking I know the answer to this one....