G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Lowering G35s?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
to me the ride is more firm.. I don't have any bounce.. That maybe due to the roads in florida.. smooth ride for me.. I do get a little more body roll when taking entrance ramps with curves.. Could be just in my head though
Did you lower your car? If so, then you probably aren't imagining it. Lowering your car increases your peak roll angles (your roll center is in now in a bad place). The stiffer springs slightly offset it, but probably not enough.

Ride quality is kind of a complicated thing.

Basically, when you lower your car though, you need to increase your spring rates. If you don't (like cutting your springs basically), then you will bottom out your suspension all day and destroy everything (shocks, bushings, bearings, even frame). When you increase your spring rate, you increase the frequency of the wheel when it travels over bumps, which is uncomfortable. Your chassis also ends up moving more, which is also uncomfortable. If you don't get correct shocks, then if it is too stiff or too soft and bound and rebound aren't set properly then it will also be uncomfortable.

Last edited by totopo; 12-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would rather have form over function because mine is a DD and I want it to handle like it does now. So I really want to get ride of the gap when I put 20 inch wheels on it but don't want to change how it handles now. If there's no way to keep great handling and get rid of the gap, I will probably leave it alone and live with the gap.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunnin4ya
I would rather have form over function because mine is a DD and I want it to handle like it does now. So I really want to get ride of the gap when I put 20 inch wheels on it but don't want to change how it handles now. If there's no way to keep great handling and get rid of the gap, I will probably leave it alone and live with the gap.
Coilovers are your best bet, you'll pay more but you'll be able to adjust the height to get the gap reduced as much as you want. Having adjustable dampers is a big plus to get a more comfortable ride, you can go from basically just riding on the springs (bouncy and floaty) all the way to bone cracking firm. I've got my coils set about 1/3 up the firmness scale and it's a good DD setting, not as firm as my lowering springs were and w/ the longer shock travel not near as many bump-stop smacks. Still firmer than OEM though.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like the best route, I have also heard that they out last struts and can be rebuilt.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if I was to get coil overs what spring rates do you guys recommend on a DD?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Tanabe NF210

Despite what a lot of people say. Coils aren't your only way to go. I have an 05 Coupe with Tanabe NF210 springs on factory shocks and struts and my car rides beautifully. After installing the springs, I've driven over some of the worst roads Maryland has to offer. All I can say is I LOVE these springs.

My next suspension mods are going to be either a set of Tokico HP struts and shocks or a set of Tokico D-Spec struts and shocks which allow the user to set the firmness of the struts and shocks. I'm also installing Tanabe sway bars front and rear. The Tanabe NF210 drop the car 1 inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear. Traction, braking, and handling are greatly increased.

My coupe is my DD and I'm not one for doing things half azz. I'm also not the kind of guy who spends money on unnecessary mods, so I do my homework to find the BEST bang for my money from well known companies. I've also got Fujita intake, Exoticspeed exhaust, and more mods to come. The best thing you can do is understand your car. Get to know it intimately. Learn how it feels when your hard in the corners, how it feels when accelerating and braking.

Most people don't take the time to learn their car. They spend thousands on mods they don't need. The MOST critical things you need when modding your car is patience and knowledge, money will come. Knowledge come from taking the time to research, research, and after you've researched. Research again. Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (in other words an ounce of research is worth thousands saved when buying the right mods). Coil overs are great, if your car is going to see a lot of track time but, if it's just a DD. The right set of springs will be fine and you'll be smiling all the way to the bank with the money you've saved. Type sway bars in the search engine to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. A guy named Ali added sway bars to his coupe. His write up will greatly help you out on your spring delema. This is me in my coupe , . Brooks out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Brooks:
dofu (12-29-2013), Urbanengineer (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you just want to close the gap Tein 350Z H-Tech spring will do that along with giving you a factory ride. Keep in mind regardless of how you lower your car you'll need a complete camber kit and someone that understands how to align modified suspensions. There have been a gazillion threads posted about lowering, Search works if you'll use it...Gary

Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by blahhhjonathan@
Well if I was to get coil overs what spring rates do you guys recommend on a DD?
You mostly should decide how much of a drop you want. Then from there calculate your bump travel (how far up the wheel well your wheel can travel before it is stopped by something). From that you can calculate your wheel rate, and from that you can calculate what spring rates you need for front and back. There are nifty calculators online.

Dd vs track doesn't really affect your choice in spring rate, it is more decided on ride height.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks man! Does anyone know if I have to get the g37 coilovers for my 08 v36 g35 base model ? Because I know they are basically the same car but I don't wanna buy without conformation.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by blahhhjonathan@
Thanks man! Does anyone know if I have to get the g37 coilovers for my 08 v36 g35 base model ? Because I know they are basically the same car but I don't wanna buy without conformation.
The coilovers should be the same, the fitment is identical, the only variable is the 7AT in the 09+ G37s weighs 140lbs more and Eibach for one has different spring rates in the front to allow for the extra weight, but since coilovers are height adjustable they should cover all models of 2nd gen Coupes & Sedans.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP, You said you are getting 20s? Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.

I am on 20s and on Eibachs. Yea my ride is firm, but its acceptable. I got rims first and springs later.

My point is, its the low-profile tires that ruin your ride. The springs kinda add to it but I'd say 20s will ruin your ride much more then springs will.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
In my experience tires can make a big difference and I think a lot of people tend to overlook it. One of the reasons I like Continental DW and DWS's is because of their soft sidewalls. It makes the ride more forgiving over bumps and the tires are very quiet. I've put Continentals on a lot of vehicles I've owned and will continue to as long as keep making them.
On my G35xS I had OEM 18's and new Goodyear Eagle tires. I went from stock suspension to eibach's and I only really noticed the ride being firmer when going over roads that had sharp bumps or washboard type bumps. When I switched to the coupe 19" sport rims with Continental DWS tires the ride actually improved on normal roads and is the same on very bumpy roads.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM
I recommend it. I'm lowers on Meagan Racing coilovers. I recommend coilovers so you can get the ride height you want. My ride is pretty smooth. I just need some spacers to make my wheels look a little more flush. If you can get the money get coilovers. Makes a big difference.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One word SWIFT