G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   Horn won't honk!! (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/460340-horn-wont-honk.html)

Mistertones 06-29-2017 07:12 PM

Horn won't honk!!

Was driving home last night and noticed my horn does not honk! I checked and changed the fuse under the hood as well as changed the relay. Still nothing. But when I do arm the alarm, it honks. Pressing on the steering wheel I get nothing. Does anyone have any tips one what to do? My steering wheel controls all work fine. Everything in the car electronically is still stock.

would I need to replace my entire airbag assembly if the horn button is broken?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2007 Infiniti G35x with the tech package.
153xxx miles.
Bone stock.

cleric670 06-29-2017 08:20 PM

Check the horn relay. Not sure if you have a coupe or sedan but here's a link to the sedan FSM horn section.

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu..._G35_Sedan/hrn

There's a wiring diagram that should help, the relay should have an audible "click" that you can feel, and should be able to hear since the horn isn't working :) My guess is the relay fried.

Mistertones 06-29-2017 08:51 PM

I changed the relay already

saywat? 06-29-2017 08:59 PM

if all the small things are checked then sounds like u might need to replace the clock spring.

Mistertones 06-29-2017 09:24 PM

When you say clock spring, can you go into detail? I'm not sure what that is.

saywat? 06-29-2017 09:29 PM

thats the component behind the airbag that allow u to press the honk

Mistertones 06-29-2017 09:45 PM

Awesome. I'm gonna take look into finding one now! Thanks again! I'll keep you guys updated.

Mistertones 06-29-2017 10:58 PM

Where is the best place to find one? I just checked Amazon/Pep Boys/Advance Auto...

cleric670 06-29-2017 11:01 PM

You can test the clock spring for proper operation directly from the relay, if you don't know how a relay works it's basically two switches hooked together. One side operates the other side, get a multimeter and probe into the relay plug on the fuse block, have someone else operate the horn on/off. One of the wire terminals should intermittently read voltage as the horn is operated. If this is the case then the clock spring switch is fine and your problem lies downstream from the relay (wiring going to the horn).

Also, I believe each horn (hi/low) has it's own relay, it's possible it's just a double relay enclosure but the wiring diagram distinctly shows two relays, check them both for operation.

telcoman 06-30-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mistertones (Post 7110530)
Was driving home last night and noticed my horn does not honk! I checked and changed the fuse under the hood as well as changed the relay. Still nothing. But when I do arm the alarm, it honks. Pressing on the steering wheel I get nothing. Does anyone have any tips one what to do? My steering wheel controls all work fine. Everything in the car electronically is still stock.

would I need to replace my entire airbag assembly if the horn button is broken?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2007 Infiniti G35x with the tech package.
153xxx miles.
Bone stock.

Prior to just replacing random parts, perhaps you should be following the FSM with your multimeter and check the various wiring harness plugs.
Perhaps it is just a bad loose connection or corrosion?

Did you ever drive thru flooded roads or drive the vehicle with the fiberboard shroud underneath the vehicle removed after an oil change?

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu..._G35_Sedan/hrn

See page HRN-3

Telcoman

willdogs 06-30-2017 02:48 PM

Your actual horn may be dead. One of two two horns died so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a much louder one.

Try putting 12V right to one of the horns in your grille to see if it makes any sound. If not, its dead.

Mistertones 07-27-2017 12:26 AM

Ok update!!

Took it to my mechanic. He said the horn is getting power after testing it with a multimeter. But he didn't have much time to look into it. Since it's my only car, I took it back. In the mean time. I changed out the clock spring. It still didn't fix the issue. Still no horn. So could it be the steering wheel itself?

Things I've replaced so far:

Fuse
Relay
clockspring.

willdogs 07-27-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mistertones (Post 7113034)
Ok update!!

Took it to my mechanic. He said the horn is getting power after testing it with a multimeter. But he didn't have much time to look into it. Since it's my only car, I took it back. In the mean time. I changed out the clock spring. It still didn't fix the issue. Still no horn. So could it be the steering wheel itself?

Things I've replaced so far:

Fuse
Relay
clockspring.

Ugh, how about just changing the actual horns? They may be getting power from the 12V wire but actually dead themselves. I mentioned this before.
Why spend all this money of fixing expensive parts first? Start with the most simple.

Hell, even just connect a 12v light tester to the horn connectors in your bumper, if it lights up when you hit the horn, then everything is good except the horn!

telcoman 07-27-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by willdogs (Post 7113042)
Ugh, how about just changing the actual horns? They may be getting power from the 12V wire but actually dead themselves. I mentioned this before.
Why spend all this money of fixing expensive parts first? Start with the most simple.

Hell, even just connect a 12v light tester to the horn connectors in your bumper, if it lights up when you hit the horn, then everything is good except the horn!

Neither the OP or his so called mechanic seem to have any logical electrical trouble shooting skills. In a previous post I provided the OP a link to the FSM for the horn.
There are two horns so it is unlikely both of them failed but neither horn has been tested.
I have to wonder why no one tested for a proper ground particularly since the so called mechanic stated there was 12v on the horn?
A missing/broken ground connection would account for both horns not working.

Telcoman

Mistertones 08-09-2017 04:28 PM

Ok. So I'm taking a closer look at the Horn diagram. It looks like there are two relays? I found the one next to the battery which was fine. Is there another fuse panel that I am missing? The one under the drivers side wheel well and the one under the hood next to the battery is what I see.