G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Ahoy, mateys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Ahoy, mateys

I figured it was about time I registered as a member of this forum, since I have owned my G for two years and have acquired a reasonable wealth of knowledge and experience with these cars.

I'll share some stories and situations that my 2007 G35 Sport 5AT (affectionately known as bb G) and I have encountered in our time together.

First, a little about bb G. As mentioned she is a 2007, has the sport package, and is automatic (why did I buy automatic? not even I understand myself. Its aight, tho.) Strangely, my particular car seems to be oddly equipped. Seems like most G's have the premium package with heated memory seats and the attendant goodies. Bb G is lacking this, and as a result has a manual steering column, boring old non-heated seats, and the standard audio system which I find actually decent (?). She does have a sunroof, tho. Also has the Stillen intake (much brap. such vroom) STOCK AF

I bought her with 100,234 miles from my parents neighbor in Savannah, Georgia. She was bought new in Atlanta, and has spent her life in Georgia. Oddly enough I moved from Savannah to Atlanta and now she's back in her home city. Two years later and she crossed 139,000 miles this morning.

Strange-ish items I've replaced;

TBW engine shield (original plastic ripped off on highway - thrilling)
Front sway bar bushings (god-awful creaking when hot out)
Passenger seat bottom (weight sensor croaked)

Bb G seems to be a low-key death magnet, as she and I have been in 3 accidents. (none my fault at all)

1st - sideswiped by a texting lady in an MDX that looked as if it could have been in Mad Max. $2200 repair.

2nd - rear ended at a stop by someone who promptly drove away when I called Police. $1200 i think to repair (curse u black CR-V driving man)

3rd - T-boned an Avalon that abruptly crossed my path - slammed brakes, couldn't stop. Low-speed collision, no airbags deployed, $8500 repair LOL (new headlights tho ayyyyyyyy)

10 year old car with mostly new exterior? Lol I don't want to think about the patchwork quilt of paint.

So about $12k of body work to a car I paid $11k for at the time. Probably should be totaled, but nothing stops bb G.

First weekend I had her, started her one morning and the windshield wipers and hazards wouldn't stop for 20 min, even though they were off.. has NEVER done it again. (?)

She did that hesitation thing at 1k RPM and it drove me I N S A N E. Dealer reflashed ECU, fixed.

I mentioned the seat thing, the airbag light flashed constantly. Dealer determined passenger weight sensor. Got a nice seat on eBay. They swapped. Fixed.

This past winter i COULD NOT CONVINCE the dealership I was using that the car wouldn't warm up and would actually cool down on the road. (Have since started using another dealer). Thermostat was stuck open, as I suggested to them. My preferred (lol) body shop replaced it for me. Perfect since.

Pics attached of when I first got her, then the mismatched front bumper repaint to fix road rash (had been corrected, then smashed an Avalon, new again!) The sideswipe, bb G with my former 1988 Mercedes-Benz 300CE, her relatively spartan (minimalist?) interior, bb G with my former 1985 Porsche 944 (may she Rest In Peace, totaled by an ignorant driver - smashing your face into an airbag-less steering wheel at 35 mph - don't do it) Bb G w/some cool leaves, the rear bumper damage, the t-bone, and how she sits today with many new things!!! (low key cryin)

The pictured license plate isn't on the car anymore as it was smashed so LOL @ the internet.

I'll cut the blab fest short for now, If you guys want to know anything else about maintenance history, what parts were replaced, whatevs, just ask! I used to work on her myself until moving to Atlanta this year. Now its shops

Retro-active thanks for the help I've scavenged as a non-member.

-Chris

Attached Thumbnails Ahoy, mateys-img_3559.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_3917.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_3934.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_4418.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_4832.jpg  

Ahoy, mateys-img_5123.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_6868.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_6917.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_8148.jpg   Ahoy, mateys-img_8574.jpg  

Old 07-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
Chris: From one long winded G owner to another....i enjoyed reading about your ride. The pictures too. thanks for taking time to post.

I too have a high mileage G (08 with 240 thousand) Am glad to hear u missed any serious injuries with the accidents

. If anyone EVER hits me (or my children) while texting and i make it out alive - they will NEVER again be able to perform that particular multi task function...i am thinking now about the 18 wheeler who KILLED 5 Georgia Southern University Senior nursing students (all females under 24) on I -16 a couple of years ago just west of Savannah on their way to their LAST CLINICAL rotation at the hospital in Savannah - he was texting too and did not see the back up on the interstate....

i just have one question as a LIFE LONG Georgian...who in their RIGHT MIND would move from Savannah to Atlanta?

Old 07-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by LCC0256
Chris: From one long winded G owner to another....i enjoyed reading about your ride. The pictures too. thanks for taking time to post.

I too have a high mileage G (08 with 240 thousand) Am glad to hear u missed any serious injuries with the accidents

. If anyone EVER hits me (or my children) while texting and i make it out alive - they will NEVER again be able to perform that particular multi task function...i am thinking now about the 18 wheeler who KILLED 5 Georgia Southern University Senior nursing students (all females under 24) on I -16 a couple of years ago just west of Savannah on their way to their LAST CLINICAL rotation at the hospital in Savannah - he was texting too and did not see the back up on the interstate....

i just have one question as a LIFE LONG Georgian...who in their RIGHT MIND would move from Savannah to Atlanta?
LCC0256, I'm glad you enjoyed the stories. I get very sentimental about my cars, I mean what car dork doesn't?

Thankfully I have managed to evade injury in every accident I've been involved with except for in the 944, but even then only a concussion, chest contusion and sprained thumb. The heartache was the worst of it.

That accident on I-16 was awful. I was living in Savannah at the time, people I knew went to GSU with the girls. Not that it's any better (actually worse) I thought it came out that the trucker was looking at illicit images... truly so sad.

Regarding my move to Atlanta, I'm a 23 year old graduate architecture student. Moved to attend Georgia Tech for grad school after completing my undergrad at Savannah College of Art and Design. Savannah is lovely, but not at this stage of my life

Also, 240,000 on your G? I'd be very interested to know what you've had to do to the car over the course of its lifetime. I hope to keep mine until she explodes!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Chris the parts i have replaced are:

struts/shocks, spark plugs & cleaned injectors(144 thousand)

new battery (172 thousand)

front wheel hubs/bearing & drive belt (174 thousand)

new starter (194 thousand)

rotors, pads and tires (average life 70 thousand miles)

now it is time for front end ball joint / compression bushings because the front end is making noises when riding over rough road. Alignment is still holding fine but the noise is driving me crazy.

What i consider ROUTINE/PERIODIC Maintenance:

I changed my oil at every 3750 miles (synthetic)

transmission and rear end every 30 thousand with recommended Nissan fluids.

The brake and power steering fluid every 50 thousand miles.

Air and cabin filters changed at recommended intervals.

I have my A/C evacuated/re-charged every 3 years. Living in the deep South i run it 80% of the time

Because i did not keep my G in a garage or under a tarp the headlights have become oxidized and a detail shop says i need to replace them - but it may be someone with the right grades of wet sandpaper and full understanding of how to polish them may be the answer. it will save about 250 (per side) dollars plus installation. But they look bad now. I do have the issue with paint coming off the door trim and steering wheel. i need to find someone to help me with that. There are 2 small rips in the driver seat leather and one on the passenger side. I have used leather conditioner and cleaner on them over the years...just not often enough. Every 3 - 6 months would probably avoided my rips. The sunshine beating down on the G has taken it's toll. But the rest of the interior and the paint job is in excellent shape. Washing regular and applying just a light gel wax every so often has obviously been enough. So there u have it. I am fully expecting to get 300 thousand miles out of the engine. I am going to keep this car until i die. It is IMO one of automotive industry's engineering overall winners when initial cost/maintenance/performance/features and pure fun are all taken into account.

If you are going to be an Architect then Atlanta is a great town to be in. Good luck to you young man. Your future looks so bright ya gonna have to wear shades.....

Larry

Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM
One last thing Chris. There appear to be 2 schools of thought regarding what octane gas to run in the G. I ALWAYS run 83 octane. As you know in our neck of the woods that can be as much as 50 cents per gallon premium. But all i can say is that the manufacturer recommended it and in 240 thousand miles i have never had any issues with starting immediately (except when the starter took the eternal dirt nap) and roaring (no knocks just harmonic bliss) hesitant free every single time i ever mash the gas....But there are those far more informed than me that don't run premium gas and have suffered no ill effects....

Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Do you mean 87? 83 is way below recommended 91.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I'm going to guess it's an adjacency typo and he meant 93.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think 83 octane is that stuff I keep in a 5gal container in my lawn mower shed from last spring.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM
One last thing Chris. There appear to be 2 schools of thought regarding what octane gas to run in the G. I ALWAYS run 83 octane. As you know in our neck of the woods that can be as much as 50 cents per gallon premium. But all i can say is that the manufacturer recommended it and in 240 thousand miles i have never had any issues with starting immediately (except when the starter took the eternal dirt nap) and roaring (no knocks just harmonic bliss) hesitant free every single time i ever mash the gas....But there are those far more informed than me that don't run premium gas and have suffered no ill effects....
Oh yes, I always run premium gas and always will, I take it a step further and only go to Top Tier retailers. Some people make fun of me for being so picky about gas but oh well

Also your maintenance schedule is pretty much in line with me. I do the engine oil at 4,000 because I like the zero's at the end I guess... transmission has always been done every 30k, and actually had to be done again after only about 15k that because after the most recent accident, the body shop did not correctly re-attach the cooler line and fluid was leaking there. My mechanic recommended a full service since I brought it to him slipping and lurching, obviously low on fluid. No harm done, thankfully.

Also just did the differential and power steering, coolant was done in December when the thermostat was replaced.

I have an appointment thursday to have new tires fitted. Going from BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S back to Michelin, this time Pilot Sport A/S 3+, the car had the previous generation of that tire on it when I bought it. For anyone considering the BFG, it's a solid tire, but I think I preferred the feel of the Michelin's. Obviously entirely subjective.

I have a feeling that my car is beginning to need new motor mounts, but I could be wrong. Seems to vibrate a little more at idle, with an otherwise smooth idle speed.

Since Atlanta is basically 90% parking garages, the G spends very little time during the day outside of one. Which is nice because my dash already has cracks, and I'd like to minimize that.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I think 83 octane is that stuff I keep in a 5gal container in my lawn mower shed from last spring.
Clearly the highest quality to be had

Old 07-24-2017, 02:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by ckl550
Clearly the highest quality to be had
Well it WAS top tier fuel

Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Senior moment guys....93 octane i am going to say it was a typo and i really did not mean to type 83 in there...it would make me feel A LOT BETTER !!!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 PM
YES !! like Gee to be 35 Again said....it was an adjacency typo....i like that. i like that a lot. Thats my story now...and i am sticking to it.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
YES !! like Gee to be 35 Again said....it was an adjacency typo....i like that. i like that a lot. Thats my story now...and i am sticking to it.
Thanks for correctly parsing my screen name. You are among the few to do so. Therefore I declare your seniority moments to yet be in your future.

Just a typo. Yep, typo.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Chris : I forgot the coolant schedule. i have changed it out (flush method) every other summer (approximately every 50 thousand miles) I replaced the radiator hoses, thermostat and radiator cap at 211 thousand.

Thank you Gee to be 35 Again...i will take my reprieve gladly.... I do a good deal of work in Raleigh primarily for WCPSS and occasionally at NCSU and other State agencies

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.