G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rotors + Pads.. suggestions and tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors + Pads.. suggestions and tips

It seems like this subject can get crazy complicated in the blink of an eye. I basically have been in stuck in analysis paralysis about A.( What kind of pads are best to replace the likely cheap metallic ones that have been squealing profusely for 6 months B.) It rotors should be replaced despite not being warped, but being machined already to minimum from what I can interpret on service records.. Well is it economical to purchase and have someone install both at once? Should I wait till the OEMs crap out officially which I am surprised they haven't based on the length of time I've let these pads squeak. But if so, what kind of rotors to get and where to get the from? I have the base g35 sedan 08 Journey I believe. But there's slotted, drilled, coated and so many varieties I have no idea what's the most practical/best. So just wanted some advice from the vets once again. Thank you very much for your help in the past. I honestly hope to learn enough to contribute back into the forums one day 😑

Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My opinion, everyone has one!

Go to our Marketplace, look under Vendor Classified...Brakes! They'll sell quality brake parts the will work with your '08! For the past 50K miles I've been using HAWK HPS pads without issues. After doing the install you'll need to do the "Bed In" process (Search) for 30% better stopping ability. Very low dust which we all appreciate! Rotors, from the same vendor you can buy DBA slotted/drilled rotors, the same ones I've run for 40K miles, wouldn't use anything else!
Good Luck and enjoy the ride...Gary

The following users liked this post:
G35AutoNewb08 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 PM
thanks.. and updates

Thanks Gary. I really hate my username on a side note but so Hawk is the best? Well I've checked out the marketplace and some online vendors.. since my rotors will need to be replaced next time I got brakes I am sure, I was thinking maybe I should go with the cheaper variants on Amazon. Some brand called Fujita for the front, bosch thermoquiet cast for the back, although for some reason I thought the brakes on the front were invariably more expensive than the back. So now I'm back stepping a bit realizing there's likely a lot more to these pads and quality and fits and stuff than I realized. Anyways thanks for the help. Not sure why I read slotted/drilled-bad if I recall right, or at least not practical.

Anyways I have to lurk on these boards a bit to see what's next to do some preventive medicine, ergh, maintenance on this aging beast. I wonder what's the lifespan of these cars, there seems to be no real consensus. Plus most of the new owners/posters have g35s with insanely low mileage which doesn't help. It would be cool to talk to some of the people who passed 150k but I doubt there's that many on a car that probably didn't sell in huge volumes (compared to other models or may other brands as well, who knows?) Sorry I jump thoughts a lot. Have a good weekend. Oh wait plus paying somebody 100-120 for replacing the pads and possibly resurfacing the rotors (even though I kept telling him it's impossible they've been machined twice to which my understanding is the bottom. I could get screwed on that. Geez saved 250 bucks just lying and saying I ordered my own pads already. So that's a win. Suck it infiniti dealer!)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 PM
actually I just checked the marketplace like you said and it just threw me into even more indecision. So should I screw the rotors and am I screwing the rotors with cheap pads? And how do you even know if cheap is bad? I mean I've heard of Hawk, Stoptech, and Centric, but that's about it.. Or would going with more expensive pads and trying to save the rotors which I think are fine be more economical or smart? Why is this is so hard to think out? Screw it I'll just throw down 10 or whatever more dollars if I'm already paying 120 to have them replaced. Hopefully the rotor resurfacing is possible and this place isn't too dicey. It's in the backend of Santa Ana so I'll keep you posted on the results... I'm sure it will work out.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fwiw I have an 08 g35 and I put wagner thermoquiets on and they work fine. No squeal and they stop the car. I have always just bought Akebono pads for my cars but decided to try the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. If you are getting rotors I would suggest Centric. Stay away from the slotted or drilled unless you just want it for the looks.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM
I actually just purchased Centric rotors and Hawk HPS street/sport pads for both the front and rear. It seems to be a common set-up that people on here kept recommending. Gonna install them this weekend.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:25 PM
'08 G35x: Installed Stoptech Street pads and Centric rotors once I developed vibration from the stock rear rotors (70k miles). Initial feel is similar to stock, dust is greatly reduced, and maximal power is excellent. Stop-and-go (50-0-50) traffic in LA's current 90-degree heat hasn't been a problem at all fade-wise, whereas I did have some scares on the stock equipment after people on the local freeways seemed intent on cooking each other's brakes. Very happy with this setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.