G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Battery dies? again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery dies? again

I have an 08 G35 sport.....I have owned it for less than a month. Went to use it a couple days after purchasing and the battery was dead. Not knowing how old the battery was I simply replaced it. drove it a few times and it was ok......the car sat for a couple days and the battery is dead again. No warning lights, no dim lights, everything is functioning....

Help please? I have done some reading and this seems to be a reoccurring problem.

Thanks,
Jet

Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Did you clean the terminal posts THOROUGHLY when installing the battery, down to clean shiny metal? Do you have any aftermarket electronics including stereo? Do you have ANY electrical components inside the vehicle that are currently non-functional? I would start with all those items as well as checking for voltage with the engine running.

+ to - with the car running should be 14.5vdc

Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks for reply........stock everything and everything appears to be working ok. I watched a video that showed the trunk mounted CD player was the culprit.. and taking the cartridge out was the solution. Tried that ! Battery still died...

Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Sorry.....and yes to cleaning the posts

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
What about operating voltage?

Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Lightbulb Electroical Gremlins

Just because you buy a new battery doesn't mean it's going to work as intended! Drive your G back to where you bought the battery and have them check it, sitting for a few day tells me it could have a dead cell! If the battery isn't the issue have them check your charging system, alternator s/b putting out 13.5 volts...much less replace it! Is your drive belts tight enough or do you hear them making noise? How about lights left on when everything is closed up and shut down...under doors or trunk? Lots of things to check...Gary

Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep, like checking to make sure your brake switch isn't broken thus leaving your brake lights on ALL THE TIME...

Old 08-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by gary c
Just because you buy a new battery doesn't mean it's going to work as intended! Drive your G back to where you bought the battery and have them check it, sitting for a few day tells me it could have a dead cell! If the battery isn't the issue have them check your charging system, alternator s/b putting out 13.5 volts...much less replace it! Is your drive belts tight enough or do you hear them making noise? How about lights left on when everything is closed up and shut down...under doors or trunk? Lots of things to check...Gary
^^^^^^^

What he said!

Test battery with a battery hydrometer

Battery dies? again-2ye57nq.jpg

Measure alternator output voltage with a digital multi-meter across the battery with the engine running.

Battery dies? again-mhfktva.jpg

Put the meter in series with the battery cable to measure any possible current draw with the engine off.

Telcoman

Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Check all the connections like everyone mentioned and the battery voltage with the car running a load.

You can do a parasitic draw test by connecting a multimeter in series to the negative cable in amp mode. If you have high amperage stary pulling fuses to see what circuit makes it drop. You can also test each fuse for volage and then calculate how much draw there is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.