G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   New owner 2007 G35S sedan 5AT upgrades (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/465984-new-owner-2007-g35s-sedan-5at-upgrades.html)

jdubau55 02-18-2019 09:43 PM

New owner 2007 G35S sedan 5AT upgrades

New here. Just purchased a 2007 G35S sedan with 5AT. 127k miles. It's almost fully optioned out. Sport package, premium package, and tech package. I'm looking for low budget upgrades to improve the car and looking for recommendations. Car is amazing. What are some low budget things that will increase the performance? I have an R1 eline slotted kit on the way already to help alleviate brake jutter which I read is notorious. What are some sway bar recommendations? Also, any mild HP increases? HFC? Do plenums help at all? So much different info out there. I love the car and the sound when I start it up is already amazing. I've searched high and low.

Is a plenum upgrade worth it for a few more HP and sound?

I don't think I want to do a CAI install or cat back. Is a HFC install worth the $500 or more for install?

I'm a new dad with little time on my hands so all the installs would be paid for because I just don't have the time to do it myself.

I've got a BT streaming solution on the way. Are there any that can be added that allow usage of steering controls?

Silversleeper86 02-20-2019 12:26 AM

Well, a plenum spacer mod isn't a thing for HR engines. HFC on otherwise stock exhaust/ will only get about 10hp. So, I would say not worth it. You're not going to notice that kind of increase. I don't know about steering controls for BT. I have a BT hooked up to the RCA inputs in my G btw, and your probably going to need . Personally, I wouldn't worry about mild HP gains. At least, if you're going purely for better acceleration. If you're going for changing the driving experience that's different (like sound). You just got the car, I'd go through and make sure all the preventative maintenance is taken care of and make sure she's good to go. It's 10+ years old now, and unless the previous owner was completely on top of things, there's something to swap out. For example, all fluids(brake, diff, tranny, etc) should have been replaced by now (90k). Anyway, I'd focus on the upgrades that will increase driving experience/look of the car for low budget. Like put some hard brake lines when you do your rotors and upgrade the pads. I personally like Hawke HPS. One of the first things I do to my cars is tint. You don't need to go dark to get the UV/heat protection benefits. I haven't done any research on sway bars yet

DaveH923 02-20-2019 07:44 AM

I've been looking for BT streaming options since before I got mine 2 months ago. There are 2 options that I have found and neither are cheap.
First is Grom Audio's VLine
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/se...nt_system.html
Second is a Tesla style screen, I haven't been able to confirm how these hold up though. There are a few options but the one people point to is Phoenix Automotive
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com
Both are over $500. I did see a post where someone modified a BT received into the CD changer but it's pretty complicated.
As for HP gains, depending on where you are, I'd save a little money for repairs, these cars are expensive and complicated. I've had 2 hoses go and the exhaust got a hole, there are issues on the horizon that I still haven't seen occur yet. If you drive them hard and they're not used to it you get issues that they didn't have. I would however tint, it's an unbelievable night and day look.

jdubau55 02-22-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silversleeper86 (Post 7161928)
Well, a plenum spacer mod isn't a thing for HR engines. HFC on otherwise stock exhaust/ will only get about 10hp. So, I would say not worth it. You're not going to notice that kind of increase. I don't know about steering controls for BT. I have a BT hooked up to the RCA inputs in my G btw, and your probably going to need this. Personally, I wouldn't worry about mild HP gains. At least, if you're going purely for better acceleration. If you're going for changing the driving experience that's different (like sound). You just got the car, I'd go through and make sure all the preventative maintenance is taken care of and make sure she's good to go. It's 10+ years old now, and unless the previous owner was completely on top of things, there's something to swap out. For example, all fluids(brake, diff, tranny, etc) should have been replaced by now (90k). Anyway, I'd focus on the upgrades that will increase driving experience/look of the car for low budget. Like put some hard brake lines when you do your rotors and upgrade the pads. I personally like Hawke HPS. One of the first things I do to my cars is tint. You don't need to go dark to get the UV/heat protection benefits. I haven't done any research on sway bars yet

I've got a ground loop already. I think I'll take your advice and fix the small issues that nag me instead of HP mods. I've got an appointment coming up for basically the 120k mile service suggestions with my local shop. All fluids. Rotors and pads. Plugs if needed. Etc. Etc.

Originally Posted by DaveH923 (Post 7161937)
I've been looking for BT streaming options since before I got mine 2 months ago. There are 2 options that I have found and neither are cheap.
First is Grom Audio's VLine
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/se...nt_system.html
Second is a Tesla style screen, I haven't been able to confirm how these hold up though. There are a few options but the one people point to is Phoenix Automotive
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com
Both are over $500. I did see a post where someone modified a BT received into the CD changer but it's pretty complicated.
As for HP gains, depending on where you are, I'd save a little money for repairs, these cars are expensive and complicated. I've had 2 hoses go and the exhaust got a hole, there are issues on the horizon that I still haven't seen occur yet. If you drive them hard and they're not used to it you get issues that they didn't have. I would however tint, it's an unbelievable night and day look.

I've seen all those things. There's one called Yatour too. All close to factory options are pricey and uncertain. I ordered a cheap basically Bluetooth dongle for like $5 on ebay that I hope to work. I tried another option already and wasn't impressed. Even if they do work well, it's still not ideal through the RCA input.

​​​​As for maintainemce, I'm figuring that out quickly. Already having issues and I've barely had it a week. Hope I don't regret my purchase.

cleric670 02-23-2019 08:24 PM

Thing is with the HR motor the individual mods don't make a big difference but if you do everything at one, VHR intake plenum, full cold air intake, HFC, full cat back, and a tune to bring it together is about +50 WHP which turns that motor into a completely different animal.

However that's about $3k worth of parts adding only +50whp, for $5k with a supercharger you can double that gain but if you want N/A reliability without the extra hassle of forced induction there's still a lot of extra potential in the HR motor.

Before doing ANY power adders, make sure the car is paid off... (APR is the bank's way of stealing money from you), and make sure everything else on the vehicle is in 100% condition, bushings, struts, brakes, fluids, everything.

jdubau55 02-23-2019 10:08 PM

Car is paid off. I've got an appointment Wednesday to basically do everything you mentioned maintainence wise.