G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe V36 2008+ (https://g35driver.com/forums/g37-coupe-v36-2008-239/)
-   -   Which new brakes? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g37-coupe-v36-2008/461750-new-brakes.html)

Jetranger 11-11-2017 02:43 PM

Which new brakes?

I am am going to replace my 08 G35s brake pads.........suggestions on the best pads for the job?

Thanks,
Jet

cleric670 11-11-2017 02:53 PM

What is the job EXACTLY?

-Daily Driver?
-Mostly daily with some track use?
-Racecar?

What kind of compromise are you willing to make for noise and dust?

There is a balance between comfort and performance when it comes to brake pads, can't have both unfortuantely.

Do you have factory Akebono calipers? If not which brake calipers are on your vehicle? What kind of rotors are you going to buy, blank/slotted/drilled/drilled+slotted?

Answer these questions and we can get you some accurate suggestions!

Jetranger 11-11-2017 03:05 PM

Cleric670,
Thanks for the quick response....... my 08 G35s is stock, with drilled rotors, pretty much an every other day driver. No track time. I am pretty anal about keeping the car clean including the wheels so dust does not really bother me......I do like the Gs ability to "stop" quick.

gary c 11-12-2017 09:48 AM

If you're really anal about keeping your ride clean, why wouldn't you be concerned about brake dust build up? If it doesn't bother you, stay with factory pads. If in fact it does order a set of HAWK HPS pads from our Marketplace under vendor brakes! Then you'll need to do the "Bed In Process" which takes 15 minutes driving time...do a SEARCH! Tire rack rates these pads, best in stopping and lowest in brake dust contamination and why I've used them for 10+ years.
Gary

cleric670 11-12-2017 12:17 PM

Yep I also recommend either Hawk HPS (NOT the HP+) or OEM Nissan/Infiniti pads. Definitely google how to properly "bed-in" a new set of brake pads or they WILL wear prematurely and usually create excessive noise/dust.

telcoman 11-12-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jetranger (Post 7122516)
I am am going to replace my 08 G35s brake pads.........suggestions on the best pads for the job?
Thanks,
Jet

OEM

Telcoman

Blue Dream 11-13-2017 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7122551)
order a set of HAWK HPS pads from our Marketplace under vendor brakes!
Gary

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7122558)
Yep I also recommend either Hawk HPS

OP before you go out and get the HPS pads search the forum and Google for countless bad reviews of these pads. Lots of negative feedback on the HPS pads and I hated mine. Poor cold/wet bite, squealing and overall poor performance made me give them away for free after using them for 500 miles. I felt I would be robbing someone if I had asked for money for them My friend I gave them to used them for almost 1000 miles and then threw them in the trash. And yes they were bedded in properly when I bought them lolol (take that Gary! :thewave:)

So the general attitude is some love them and some hate them. Since they're not cheap it's your choice whether you want to take that chance but for me, never again.....

telcoman 11-13-2017 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7122608)
OP before you go out and get the HPS pads search the forum and Google for countless bad reviews of these pads. Lots of negative feedback on the HPS pads and I hated mine. Poor cold/wet bite, squealing and overall poor performance made me give them away for free after using them for 500 miles. I felt I would be robbing someone if I had asked for money for them My friend I gave them to used them for almost 1000 miles and then threw them in the trash. And yes they were bedded in properly when I bought them lolol (take that Gary! :thewave:)

So the general attitude is some love them and some hate them. Since they're not cheap it's your choice whether you want to take that chance but for me, never again.....

FWIW One of the things that I've learned over the twelve years and on my second Infiniti both purchased new is that the OEM parts sold at the dealer are very high quality.
As for brakes the dealer prices are competitive and not only do they do an excellent job but they will provide a free loaner.

Attachment 260079

The dealer price also includes turning the rotors. The original brakes were replaced on my previous 06 G35 6 speed at 86k miles and that set was still on the vehicle when I traded it in for my present 2012 G37S at 171796 miles.
I am currently on my original brakes with 90.4k miles so my point is the OEM pads are of high quality and long lasting.

I think you should reread Blue Dream's post prior to purchase.
Buy cheap, buy twice:52:

Telcoman

gary c 11-13-2017 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7122608)
OP before you go out and get the HPS pads search the forum and Google for countless bad reviews of these pads. Lots of negative feedback on the HPS pads and I hated mine. Poor cold/wet bite, squealing and overall poor performance made me give them away for free after using them for 500 miles. I felt I would be robbing someone if I had asked for money for them My friend I gave them to used them for almost 1000 miles and then threw them in the trash. And yes they were bedded in properly when I bought them lolol (take that Gary! :thewave:).

You'd think we lived on a different planet Blue! :eek3: So you're telling us they were bedded in before you installed them? The whole idea of the bed in process is to coat the rotors with pad material under extreme heat immediately after installation which allows 30% better stopping ability! HAWK pads have always worked very well for me Blue, maybe "YOUR DOING IT WRONG!" (back at ya)
Gary

Blue Dream 11-13-2017 03:25 PM

My oh my, I bedded them in when I bought them, give me more credit than that big G. But I did re-read my post and can see where you got that from........

gary c 11-14-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7122648)
My oh my, I bedded them in when I bought them, give me more credit than that big G. But I did re-read my post and can see where you got that from........

:LMAO2: I knew you must have broken them in when installed, just reacting to what you had posted hoping I wasn't wrong...Gary