G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G37 V36 Sedan 2009 + (https://g35driver.com/forums/g37-v36-sedan-2009-436/)
-   -   Do g37s suffer the g35 tire wear issue? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g37-v36-sedan-2009/451792-do-g37s-suffer-g35-tire-wear-issue.html)

Chriswf 10-08-2015 04:17 PM

Do g37s suffer the g35 tire wear issue?

I've been looking at a lot of sedans lately. G35/37 is/are cheap, as is TLs and several other cars.
One thing keeping me away from 35s is the tire wear.
What keeps me from the 37s is the tail lights, but I think I can manage the 37 sedan tail lights. And possibly tire wear.

My concern is the tire wear on the g37. I googled Infiniti g tire wear, and MOST of the issues are with the g35s it seems.
Some people say it's the weight of the car, some people say it's how the 35s are built.

I just want to know if the 37 is having the same issues?

Thanks!
Chris

Mustang5L5 10-09-2015 01:11 PM

Most of the issues are from guys running soft, performance summer tires..especially on the coupes with 18" and 19" tires. Add to that the common modification of lowering the car and not doing so with the correct camber arms and you throw in a perfect storm for fast tire wear. Any soft compound tire (as most guys prefer to run on the coupes) are going to wear under 20K mile

I run all-season Continental Extremecontact's on my '06 sedan and got 70K miles out of the 1st set, and currently at 45K miles on the second set without any extreme wear.

Chriswf 10-09-2015 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 7024141)
Most of the issues are from guys running soft, performance summer tires..especially on the coupes with 18" and 19" tires. Add to that the common modification of lowering the car and not doing so with the correct camber arms and you throw in a perfect storm for fast tire wear. Any soft compound tire (as most guys prefer to run on the coupes) are going to wear under 20K mile

I run all-season Continental Extremecontact's on my '06 sedan and got 70K miles out of the 1st set, and currently at 45K miles on the second set without any extreme wear.

And you're driving a g35 huh? Hmm... could have swore I read they were getting extreme wear driving from the factory in brand new rides.

I'd be getting a sedan likely. Think it'll be much different? 70k is really good. I'd take 50k. My yaris eats front tires before 40k. I have to rotate them and realign constantly.

70K is tempting though.
Thank you very much.

yosip1115 10-09-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chriswf (Post 7024157)
And you're driving a g35 huh? Hmm... could have swore I read they were getting extreme wear driving from the factory in brand new rides.

I'd be getting a sedan likely. Think it'll be much different? 70k is really good. I'd take 50k. My yaris eats front tires before 40k. I have to rotate them and realign constantly.

70K is tempting though.
Thank you very much.

stang are you lowered? 70k is great! My record was 11k to the belts :dunno: I've learned a lot since then ha.

Chriswf 10-09-2015 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by yosip1115 (Post 7024166)
stang are you lowered? 70k is great! My record was 11k to the belts :dunno: I've learned a lot since then ha.

I read a bit more in it. 03-04 coupes and zs had it bad. Extreme feathering up to the point of a lawsuit.

People were saying you can get a camber kit and dial it back towards 0 degrees. And driving habits must match suspension setup.

ScraggleRock 10-09-2015 11:31 PM

The G has pretty extreme negative camber as far as off the showroom floor goes. Now, camber alone will not accelerate tire wear, it will only predict where the tire wears. The bigger problem is that the compression rod and lower control arm bushings fail and its basically unnoticeable (without close inspection) and that will screw up your toe. No matter how many times you align it, your toe will always be messed up if those bushings are bad. Toe eats tires.

Now, this is due to the extreme negative camber, so there's no way to keep the rubber bushings from continuously failing. Solution for best results (because all suspension parts work together) is to replace your LCA and compression rod bushings to polyurethane, get a camber kit for the front and back (and toe bolts for the back if you're lowered at all), and replace all 4 shocks. With a decent treadwear rating on your tires, they should wear evenly and decently slow. My tires last around 40k (440 treadwear), and I drive like a complete a-hole. Haha

Mustang5L5 10-11-2015 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by yosip1115 (Post 7024166)

Nope. Stock suspension sedan. Alignment specs on point.

I've been running Continental ExtremeContact DWS's and they have a pretty good wear rating. I got 70K on the first set with nice, normal wear. Was a good tire. Currently at 45K miles on a second set of tires since I loved the first set (was great in the snow). I do a mix of driving. Highway, street, semi-aggressive lol.

I run summer performance sport tires on my Mustangs...i'm lucky to get 15-20K miles.

Coworker has a G37x sedan. Hasn't reported any abnormal or fast tire wear