G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   Rear clanking noise (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/149205-rear-clanking-noise.html)

msd3075 04-04-2007 03:46 PM

Rear clanking noise

I've been searching for a while now and can't seem to find another thread that answers my problem, so hopefully someone out there can help. While driving at pretty much any speed, a 'clanking' sound comes from somewhere in th rear or the car whenever I hit even the slightest bump. It isn't audible from inside the car but is very noticable from outside. What I have noticed is that is I put the slightest amount of pressure on the emergency brake while moving, the sound goes away completely. I'm assuming this means it has something to do with the emergency brake; maybe something is loose of broekn. I know this might not have anything to do with it, but whenever the brake is engaged when the car is stopped, any movement of the car (getting in or out of the car) causes a high pitched squeek.

If anyone has had a similar problem or can give me any insight on this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

MadSkyline81 04-04-2007 03:56 PM

Check the TSB, sounds like a rear axle problem

Hi-TechG35 04-04-2007 03:57 PM

^+1....

msd3075 04-04-2007 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadSkyline81
Check the TSB, sounds like a rear axle problem

If it's the TSB about axle clicking and lubing the axle, I've already had it done and it didn't solve the problem

Conscons 04-04-2007 05:13 PM

is it a common problem ?

Pratik 04-04-2007 05:54 PM

Check out your rear end-links. Do you have aftermarket sway bars by any chance? That can be more of a 'clicking' sound instead of 'clanking'. The rear axle click sound and the end-link sounds are somewhat similar.

msd3075 04-04-2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pratik
Check out your rear end-links. Do you have aftermarket sway bars by any chance? That can be more of a 'clicking' sound instead of 'clanking'. The rear axle click sound and the end-link sounds are somewhat similar.

My suspension is completely stock. Also, I used to have the 'clicking' sound coming from the rear axle in addition to the 'clunking' sound I've described above. The TSB fixed the click, but the clank remains. Could this have anythign to do with the emergency brake since whenever I apply the slightest pressure to the pedal while moving it goes away? Does that make sense?

G-MENTED 04-04-2007 06:39 PM

or it could be your E-brake. it might have came loose from the hinge. it happened to me.. damn pleasanton infiniti!

AccordinlySlo 04-04-2007 09:32 PM

I started hearing the noise too but only when the windows are down and the radio is off or something.

One more time....what is TSB again??I always forget:confused:

msd3075 04-04-2007 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by AccordinlySlo
I started hearing the noise too but only when the windows are down and the radio is off or something.

One more time....what is TSB again??I always forget:confused:

There are two different noises here.

The 'clacking' noise I started the thread for comes form the rear and happens whenever the car is moving and is jarred around the slightest bit. It seems to go away whenever the slightest amount of pressure is put on the emergency brake.

The 'clicking' noise comes form the rear axle and happens whenever you accelerate from a stop. The TSB to fix this involves lubing the axle.

O NO 04-05-2007 12:02 AM

Oh My, there are many threads on this. Search is your friend bro.

Posting this in the Tech area would of been better for ya.

msd3075 04-05-2007 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by O NO
Oh My, there are many threads on this. Search is your friend bro.

Posting this in the Tech area would of been better for ya.

There are many threads about the axle clicking pertaining to the TSB but not the sound I'm describing. If you'd actually read the damn thread and see I've already had the TSB performed to cure the clicking sound, you'd understand this is something completely different not pertaining to the axle whatsoever.

NG35S 05-12-2007 06:18 PM

i have the same problem's...sucks