General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Trunk lid won't open - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to bring this one back alive.

I'm going through a trunk phase as well. I've checked the wires and they look fine however. The trunk opened via key button just now, out of now where when I pushed it.

Then when I closed it and tried again it didn't work.

I don't know what it could be, and it's during the holidays where I need my trunk =(

So, for sure.. there isn't a trunk fuse? help... before I send this damn car to the dealer.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm I'm going through the same problem. will check fuses and trunk wires as those seem to be the main issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar issue has come up in my '06 coupe:

Nothing will open the trunk other than the release inside the trunk. I've checked the wiring harness and it looks okay (did not take off the tape). The trunk light does come on.

Seems like a bad fuse. Has anyone fixed this issue by replacing a fuse? If so, which one is it?

Attached Thumbnails Trunk lid won't open - suggestions?-img_1589e.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Rossei (12-13-2011)
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
bump

Old 07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I have the same problem as well.. WTF's up wit these cars. I also just payed $572 for my drivers side window motor replaced. Time to get that BMW..

Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Update: I resolved the issue. The green wire was severed as in the many cases above. What a nuisance...

Old 09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Fixed the wires, but the trunk still does not open...my reverse lights are out too.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by holee
I have a similar problem, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm stupid or there's a problem with the car.

I have a 2006 coupe.

I can open the trunk with the fob, but I can't open it with the button underneath the steering wheel or the silver button outside of the trunk.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it time to visit the dealer?

Unfortunatly I am having the same problem. I checked the trunk harness wires and toggled the cancel switch but still cannot find the fix to this problem. The key FOB works to open the trunk but I cannot get into it with the 2 buttons on the car.

Does anybody have a fix?

Thank you.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Happened Again!

Well, after having problems in February 2004 and having the wires in the bundle to the trunk lid repaired: Dead Trunk Post 1, and again in October 2006: Dead Trunk and Dead Car Post, last week my trunk would only open with the remote (at least I could still get in!)

Of course, back in 2006, the tech asked Infiniti if he could replace the wire harness, but they said no and only authorized another repair. They assured me at that time that I should have no further problems but of course I was concerned since the car would be out of warranty. Sure enough, when I called them, they said sorry, nohing they could do!

Yesterday, I ended up finally doing the repair myself. There are 11 wires in total passing through that rubber sleeve (in my 2003 sedan) including 5 black (I'm assuming ground?) wires. Anyway I found 2 wires severed when I pulled apart that mess of previous repairs (using various colour wires and splice points). It would have been easier to just have replaced them all myself where I could have had longer pieces of clean wire to trace and splice. It took me almost 3 1/2 hours to complete the job using some ultra flexible wire.

Hopefully this will last the remaining life of the car, but at least the shrink-tubed solder points are all accessible outside the rubber sleeve and in the trunk and chassis wire pass-through points.

I'd recommend that if you haven't yet had the problem, to just do the repair prior to the inevitability of it, where the tech will cut the wires and do the splice leaving many of the wires with only 1/2" to 1" to work with in the future!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MDMiller
The key FOB works to open the trunk but I cannot get into it with the 2 buttons on the car.

Sounds like the same 2 wires broke on you that happened to me this time.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I extended some of mine that were broken as well. 10K miles and 1 year later, no recurrence.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by MDMiller
Unfortunatly I am having the same problem. I checked the trunk harness wires and toggled the cancel switch but still cannot find the fix to this problem. The key FOB works to open the trunk but I cannot get into it with the 2 buttons on the car.

Does anybody have a fix?

Thank you.
Wasn't there a valet lock thing in the glovebox to disable those, or am I thinking of something else?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
not to thread jack, but i didn't think it was worth me making a new thread...

for me my trunk would stop working randomly, im talking from the trunk,the key fob, and inside the car.

the only way I could get it to work was either start driving again and maybe next time i get out of the car it works, it was me 100% random.

I did find one fix however, as soon the trunk wouldn't open all i had to do was put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, once that happened I can use the key fob, inside the car, or on the trunk in the back and it would work like nothing happened.

does anyone have any idea why it would do that?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedforlife
not to thread jack, but i didn't think it was worth me making a new thread...

for me my trunk would stop working randomly, im talking from the trunk,the key fob, and inside the car.

the only way I could get it to work was either start driving again and maybe next time i get out of the car it works, it was me 100% random.

I did find one fix however, as soon the trunk wouldn't open all i had to do was put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, once that happened I can use the key fob, inside the car, or on the trunk in the back and it would work like nothing happened.

does anyone have any idea why it would do that?
No idea but I do the same thing.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 AM
acuator?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trunk lid won't open - suggestions?