G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   Car doesnt start sometimes (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/274374-car-doesnt-start-sometimes.html)

dianec 03-02-2009 05:23 PM

Car doesnt start sometimes

In January of this year, my 2004 G35 coupe wouldn't start. I called AAA and they replaced my battery. It was starting fine until one month later and it stopped again. I took it to the Infiniti dealer and they kept it for a week and they couldn't find anything and the car started just fine the whole time for them. At the end of February, it stopped again . I waited for about 10 minutes and then I was able to start it again. The Infiniti dealer said all the measured values were fine. Has anyone else also experienced this problem? I know it could be the starter or the alternator, but they checked out ok. I read that it could also possibly be the radio. Any comments?

dwilson 03-06-2009 01:22 PM

I am having this same issue. Car runs and starts fine and then just out of the blue will not start. I can try it about 6 or 7 times and then it starts fine. Want do it for a while and then catches me off guard and does it again. Mine is an 03 Sedan.

Metalp3n 03-06-2009 01:34 PM

Sounds to me like its either a loose-ground somewhere, or your alarm/immobilizer system acting up. Check for ghost-codes at any local Strauss Auto or Auto Zone, they should do it free of charge. NATS (nissan anti theft system) codes on Infiniti vehicles usually run ghost for some dumb reason. I found this out the hard way.

If no ghost codes exist, check the wiring for the alarm, then check the battery ground on the body side and the battery side, followed by the alternator and starter wiring.

Edit: We had this same issue on a friends 2006 G35x after installing the Stillen exhuast on it. Re-attaching the ground to the exhaust, yes theres a ground that hangs down near the muffler, which i personally have no idea what it does, but re-connecting it fixed his issue.

Red_G35 03-06-2009 02:52 PM

I had this issue, but it hasnt popped up in the past 10 months. Strange.. left me stranded for 5 mins a couple times.

iamericgee 03-06-2009 02:53 PM

clutch switch ! it happened to me !

rev3nant 03-24-2009 02:18 AM

Is your car a MT? If yes,

My car does the same thing (three times this week, it wouldn't start)...Hydro is right...at least in my case, it's the CLUTCH SWITCH. It's a little black switch that is depressed when you clutch all-the-way-in. This is to make sure you don't start in gear!

When this happens to me, I stomp the clutch a time or two all the way to the floor to release the switch (I'm not sure if the switch itself has faulty wiring, or if it just "sticks"). This works for me... car starts fine after that...

Anyone know if this is a wiring problem, or perhaps if I lube the switch itself it would fix this issue?

I will follow up with a post if it continues to happen to me... that way I can report if the switch itself is getting "stuck" or something.

TVang 03-24-2009 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rev3nant (Post 4047976)
Is your car a MT? If yes,

My car does the same thing (three times this week, it wouldn't start)...Hydro is right...at least in my case, it's the CLUTCH SWITCH. It's a little black switch that is depressed when you clutch all-the-way-in. This is to make sure you don't start in gear!

When this happens to me, I stomp the clutch a time or two all the way to the floor to release the switch (I'm not sure if the switch itself has faulty wiring, or if it just "sticks"). This works for me... car starts fine after that...

Anyone know if this is a wiring problem, or perhaps if I lube the switch itself it would fix this issue?

I will follow up with a post if it continues to happen to me... that way I can report if the switch itself is getting "stuck" or something.

This is more than likely your problem if you have a manual. It happened to my car also. I also checked my alternator/starter to find nothing wrong with them.

The clutch switch is located kinda up into the pedal area. You can unplug the 2 wires that connects to the Clutch Interlock Switch and w/ a separate wire and spade connectors -- bypass the switch. If your car starts up everytime, then it's your clutch switch. Now, be careful if you do this because your car will start like an automatic.

I bought my clutch switch from Infiniti for 30.16 shipped (shipped because there is no local dealer nearby). Hope that helps.

rev3nant 03-24-2009 07:25 PM

Cool, thanks, hopefully I don't have to replace the bugger. I decided to try the "nickel fix" to improve the feel of the clutch today, and while I was down there, poked around the clutch switch box. It seems okay (pushes in and out nicely when pressed lightly or hard with a finger). Imma chalk this one up to the fact that it gets stuck every once in a while...as long as stomping the clutch to free it every once in a while to start fixes the problem.

PS the nickle trick works well...although because I wasn't used to the "new friction zone" being right off the "floor" I stalled the G for the first time on a steep hill today and stopped traffic...I brought the clutch up a little like I normally would and then looked down to see the little red battery light...lol!! So far I like the fix, though!

Rev

TVang 04-04-2009 07:32 PM

Oh yeah, and for you folks who are scared to replace your clutch switch (i was for a sec) -- It took me literally about 2 minutes... Car starts up like new each time...

canucklehead 04-16-2009 11:16 AM

ahaa! i found the thread i was looking for. this has started happening to me in the last few weeks - intermittent no start. i will try a few times and then it will start. i thought it was the battery (it's 5 years old) but my accesories run fine.

this clutch switch sounds plausible. can anyone provide more detail on exactly what/where i need to look for when bypassing/fixing the switch?

thanks

dwilson 04-16-2009 12:20 PM

Mine ended up being the security system hanging a fewer seconds longer. When i would unlock the car it would unlock but for some reason the alarm would hang. I would just watch the red dash light and it would be solid few seconds later would blink and car would start fine.

canucklehead 04-16-2009 01:54 PM

i just tried the clutch switch bypass, and it is starting up without problem. i tried a handful of times, starts right up everytime. my new clutch switch is on order for $26 CDN.

thanks once again to all the guys on G35driver! this saved me time & money to avoid troubleshooting.

TVang - please check your PM.

kamikaze2803 08-16-2010 09:53 PM

I have an 04 sedan Same thing happened to me about and hour ago, this has happened three times since I've had my g, I usually get stranded for about 5-10 minutes then my car will suddenly get its power back. Anybody have a solution for this, I don't trust my G anymore...Is it the alarm?

VinhFTW 08-23-2010 03:22 PM

How can you check if it is the clutch switch? I'm having the same problem

My car's electronics are all working fine, battery/alternator are fine, but when I try to start the car, all the electronics/lights turn off to start the car but nothing happens. I just have to keep on trying until it works. The longest its taken me is 16 minutes to start my car. Soooo frustrating!

And is the only way to buy a clutch switch through the infiniti dealer?

hamdan6789 08-25-2010 01:32 AM

ok i have the same problem...but i have an 03 sedan thats automatic....ive taken it into the dealer everytime this happens and they still havent been able to figure it out, its very frustrating and happens about once a week. I even replaced the battery a month ago thinking it had o do with that but i guyess not, alternaor and everything else is working fine tho...help would be appreciated!