General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Keyless entry remote not working on first try

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keyless entry remote not working on first try

Hi all, I've got a new issue with my G and it's been bugging the crap outta me, I searched and searched and found nothing, but if anyone has any clues that would be helpful, I would appreciate it...
Since I bought my 03 G coupe, the drivers door lock has never worked/responded to the Fob. I always figured it was the actuator and I would get it replaced eventually, but I manually lock it when exiting, and stick the key in the door when entering... But the passenger side has always worked and the alarm always activated... until recently. Now, it takes multiple tries, sometimes never working when pressing the lock or unlock, oddly, the trunk always works and... well, I've still never used the panic button... anyway, it's not a huge deal until the other day I unlock my car as usual, pressing the unlock button to deactivate the alarm and stick the key in the door, yet when I opened the door it activated the alarm and i couldn't turn it off...

Is this a symptom of a failing BCM, could I have no power going to either doors? Is the keyless entry system its own separate system and can be replaced?
FYI, the only thing I've done recently is I have replaced the battery with an AGM battery.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Well... http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/G35/Coupe/2003/bl.pdf starting on page 20 and then page 49 if you want to try to tracking it down.

You're sure the battery in the fob is good?

Do both doors lock/unlock from the switches on the armrests? If so, your actuators are fine.

You may want to check for frayed or broken wires running through the rubber boots that go from the body to the doors. Think how many times those have been twisted or bent since 2003. That might even be why your drivers door doesn't lock/unlock.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, reading that thing is a bit like Latin to me, what is a CAN, anyway?

The fob battery was my first diagnosis, so I changed it but it didnt help.

The lock/unlock button still works for the passenger side lock, it never worked for the drivers side lock (so I'm pretty sure the drivers door actuator is messed up, but not sure that's my only problem now).

Also to note, the lights don't respond to the remote buttons, like pressing the remote buttons will not illuminate the tail lights or parking lights, the interior lights usually illuminate as well, but do not anymore...

Well, thanks for the reply, I'll try to decipher that FSM for now! Is there a translation for dummies? lol

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's possible your BCM is starting to go out, I would take it in for a diagnostic at Nissan since they'll know almost immediately if there is a BCM problem then you can decide how to proceed with repairs, a new BCM will require dealership programming to talk to the ECU unless you're proficient with NDS2 (another user recently used it to make system level changes successfully).