G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   Air bag light - no fault, but keeps recurring? (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/463567-air-bag-light-no-fault-but-keeps-recurring.html)

aj_g35 05-12-2018 04:46 PM

Air bag light - no fault, but keeps recurring?

Hey all,

My airbag light has been flashing recently. After doing some research, I learned about a common issue with the under-seat connectors. I cleaned them up and added dielectric grease.

I ran the air bag light diagnosis from the FSM and only got the 7-2-3-2-3 flash pattern, which says "Repair order: Erase memory. (Once key switch is turned from OFF to ON, TROUBLE DIAG RECORD will be erased.)." The light goes away, but always comes back shortly. I've gone through this process 3 or 4 times now.

So if there's no real issue, why does the light keep coming back?

Bonus question: Today while accelerating from a red light, my car (automatic) had an extremely hard up-shift. Immediately threw a CEL, which was P1757 (FR/B SOLENOID /CIRC). Anybody know what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!

cleric670 05-12-2018 06:04 PM

The 7-2-3-2-3 is just the generic flash meaning you are in diagnostic mode with no errors present. You need to put it in diagnostic mode WHILE the error is present, they are self-clearing so as soon as the intermittent problem goes away the trouble code disappears.

P1757 is one of the brake solenoids, I'm guessing FR means gear 1 which would be the "front" of the transmission. Could be solenoid failure or maybe wiring/harness, inspect the harness(es) for damage but you might get it in for a thorough diagnostic in case you need to start shopping for a replacement valve body or entire transmission.

I don't know if that error could be generated from a slipping brake sleeve or not. How often do you service the transmission? Not changing the fluid on interval (or using the wrong fluid) causes problems exactly like this.

aj_g35 05-12-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7139030)
The 7-2-3-2-3 is just the generic flash meaning you are in diagnostic mode with no errors present. You need to put it in diagnostic mode WHILE the error is present, they are self-clearing so as soon as the intermittent problem goes away the trouble code disappears.=.

The error was present, my airbag light was flashing. Then I put it in diagnostic mode and it seems to indicate that no error is present. That's why I thought it was strange.

cleric670 05-12-2018 06:09 PM

Yeah that is strange, not exactly sure what you should check from there, it's possible the diagnosis sensor unit is starting to fail. If you can't get it to identify the problem after a few more tries I'd take it to Nissan and see what they can find with a Consult-II/III scan.

Blue Dream 05-15-2018 07:07 AM

Warning, thread jack in progress lol. My girlfriend, God love her, took it upon herself to research how to remove the passenger front seat to repair/replace the faulty power seat switch we've been dealing with. She disconnected the battery first, took out the motor under the seat, manually adjusted the seat back so she could get to the front bolts, labeled and unclipped all the harnesses and removed the seat from the car. No surprise why I love her so much, she's a bad-azz in so many ways. :D

BUT, she hooked the battery up with the seat out to drive the car and obviously we have a blinking airbag light. Will the car reset the airbag system and disable the warning/light after unhooking the battery and hooking it back up when the install is completed?

cleric670 05-15-2018 08:23 AM

It should yes, as far as I can tell the only data permanently STORED in the diagnostic unit is airbag deployment and collision sensor detection. Everything else is just a single pass check of operable systems and anything that doesn't pass sends the SRS warning to the CAN, the system check is performed every time the ignition is turned on so when it's all hooked back up the check will PASS and the light should turn off.

Blue Dream 05-16-2018 07:13 AM

That's good to know cleric, thanks. On the GTO it requires a trip to the dealer to clear the code and light with their Tech 2 machine, even if there's no issue with the system. A simple voltage surge can trip the light as can other simple issues which means it sucks this is a dealer only fix.

Scottwax 07-22-2018 05:45 PM

I reset my airbag light after cleaning all the connections, didn't find anything obvious. Stayed off for a year, came back on, reset it, its stayed off a couple months now. Probably going to be an ongoing issue.