General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Weird oil burning issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Weird oil burning issues

To keep the story as short as i can to make it simple. I bought a 06 g35 sedan drove it off just fine. That night i took a drive to el dorado hills(some graded hills there) And i noticed my car slightly smoking while pushing up the hill. Long behold i come back to my car and look under it and the drain plug was completely gone and my oil was all over the ground. (happy it happened at the top of the hill as my engine would be toast) So i came back the next day Filled it up with the 4 1/4 - 4 3/4 quarts of oil and lets the oil burn off for around 15 minutes. I drove it home home just fine, only the engine service soon light came on ( took it to autozone its my maf sensor no big deal) but i keep getting the slight smell of burning oil from the back part of the engine when i run it hard. There are no more leaks that i can see as i park it in my driveway and its clean since i bought the car. My question is should i be worried? I know a lot of engine oil got on a lot of the cars drive train and engine but its been almost 2 days and all the oil hasn't seemed to burn off the engine and exhaust so i get slight smoking when i come park it at home. I've checked my oils the past few days to watch it and it hasn't moved from where i filled it up at.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Speaking from experience in blowing double gasketed oil filters, transmission cooler lines, etc.

Get the car up in the air, remove the plastic engine skid cover, get a box of those cleaning hand wipes, not the baby wipe ones but the grease removing ones like these in the picture and wipe down EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. Wipe down the plastic cover, the entire engine, suspension, headers, exhaust, transmission, undercarriage, and about half of the propeller shaft, stop at about the middle of the vehicle. It's crazy how far an oil droplet will travel when the vehicle is moving 30+mph it will splatter EVERYTHING so you need to get it cleaned up now while it's still fresh before a thick layer of dirt accumulates under your car.

Don't wipe down the brake rotors, they shouldn't be accessible anyways if you have the dust shields on them still.

You WILL use the entire tub of those rags, wear gloves, it's going to be a huge pile of black greasy rags, you have 12 years worth of gunk and the recent Exxon tanker disaster going on under your car. Once everything is cleaned drive it for a week and see if it STILL smells like oil under load. It's possible you had leaking valve cover gaskets before this incident and once everything is cleaned up you will be able to see any fresh oil trails.

If you suspect any engine damage then just do a compression test to put your mind at ease, it's quick and easy. I recommend pulling the spark plugs a day in advance to ensure there is anti-seize on the threads. Once the engine is warm shut the car off, pull the fuel pump relay in the IPDM fuse box, run the motor again and it will quickly stall, crank a couple more seconds to bleed off any residual fuel, pull all the coil packs, all the spark plugs, do your compression check and make sure the engine turns over 6-7 times for each cylinder.

PSI will vary depending on the motor but good values are between 180-210psi with no more than 10% variance from the highest to lowest measurement.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by psycoses
To keep the story as short as i can to make it simple. I bought a 06 g35 sedan drove it off just fine. That night i took a drive to el dorado hills(some graded hills there) And i noticed my car slightly smoking while pushing up the hill. Long behold i come back to my car and look under it and the drain plug was completely gone and my oil was all over the ground.
Do you get your oil changes at Jiffy Lube? They and some other cheep oil change establishments are famous for not properly tightening the oil drain plug by poorly trained and poorly paid employees.

Telcoman

Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Speaking from experience in blowing double gasketed oil filters, transmission cooler lines, etc.

Get the car up in the air, remove the plastic engine skid cover, get a box of those cleaning hand wipes, not the baby wipe ones but the grease removing ones like these in the picture and wipe down EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER. Wipe down the plastic cover, the entire engine, suspension, headers, exhaust, transmission, undercarriage, and about half of the propeller shaft, stop at about the middle of the vehicle. It's crazy how far an oil droplet will travel when the vehicle is moving 30+mph it will splatter EVERYTHING so you need to get it cleaned up now while it's still fresh before a thick layer of dirt accumulates under your car.

Don't wipe down the brake rotors, they shouldn't be accessible anyways if you have the dust shields on them still.

You WILL use the entire tub of those rags, wear gloves, it's going to be a huge pile of black greasy rags, you have 12 years worth of gunk and the recent Exxon tanker disaster going on under your car. Once everything is cleaned drive it for a week and see if it STILL smells like oil under load. It's possible you had leaking valve cover gaskets before this incident and once everything is cleaned up you will be able to see any fresh oil trails.

If you suspect any engine damage then just do a compression test to put your mind at ease, it's quick and easy. I recommend pulling the spark plugs a day in advance to ensure there is anti-seize on the threads. Once the engine is warm shut the car off, pull the fuel pump relay in the IPDM fuse box, run the motor again and it will quickly stall, crank a couple more seconds to bleed off any residual fuel, pull all the coil packs, all the spark plugs, do your compression check and make sure the engine turns over 6-7 times for each cylinder.

PSI will vary depending on the motor but good values are between 180-210psi with no more than 10% variance from the highest to lowest measurement.

Thanks for the detailed response and i will undertake the project on the weekend. and post the results. And im not worried about any engine damage as it fulling drained when stopped.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Do you get your oil changes at Jiffy Lube? They and some other cheep oil change establishments are famous for not properly tightening the oil drain plug by poorly trained and poorly paid employees.

Telcoman
No I haven't gotten it changed at a jiffy lube i'm the new owner of the car (previous owner was a mechanic that had a few too many projects so i dont blame him)