General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Engine Splash Guard keeps Interior Warm?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Engine Splash Guard keeps Interior Warm?

My G35 cabin runs slightly on the hot side when AC is off. . Even with the AC temp control on full cold and outside air, the cabin will be slightly on the warm side after a few minutes of driving. For this reason, I always drive with the windows down just a little bit to keep the inside cool....so it got me thinking:

I did some digging around on the forum and it seems like a few people have the same problem. So I was thinking, could it be that the engine splash guard is blocking airflow down and away from the engine, causing the engine bay to stay pressurized, and forcing the hot engine air through the AC inlet ducts and into the cabin?

Has anyone done any experimenting with this?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
My G35 cabin runs slightly on the hot side when AC is off. . Even with the AC temp control on full cold and outside air, the cabin will be slightly on the warm side after a few minutes of driving. For this reason, I always drive with the windows down just a little bit to keep the inside cool....so it got me thinking:

I did some digging around on the forum and it seems like a few people have the same problem. So I was thinking, could it be that the engine splash guard is blocking airflow down and away from the engine, causing the engine bay to stay pressurized, and forcing the hot engine air through the AC inlet ducts and into the cabin?

..so it got me thinking:
Incorrect thinking!

Originally Posted by Scorpi0;7141859I did some digging around on the forum and it seems like a few people have the same problem. So I was thinking, could it be that the engine splash guard is blocking airflow down and away from the engine, causing the engine bay to stay pressurized, and forcing the hot engine air through the AC inlet ducts and into the cabin?[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=Scorpi0;7141859
Has anyone done any experimenting with this?[/left]
Check your thermostat, radiator cap, Fans, & water pump

There is a checklist in the CO section of the FSM for your vehicle.

I'd suggest that you follow that troubleshooting section to find the root cause.
Do not operate your vehicle without the fiberboard shroud under your vehicle. Bad things can happen to your vehicle without it.

Telcoman

Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Nahh, the battery box is still basically sealed up.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I know what the OP is saying. I feel the same way in my car. If I don't run the AC, the air coming from the vents around my feet is warm even with fan and thermostat at min or ac controls off. I assumed this is heat from the engine compartment making something hot and the vent air is transferring this heat to the cabin.

My plastic undertray is all screwed up at the moment and so many of the u-nuts and supporting plastic is buggered up that I don't know if I could even attach a new plastic one or the aftermarket metal one that I may be running this experiment soon even though I prefer to have my splash guard installed.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Nahh, the battery box is still basically sealed up.
I see what you mean. I checked it out under the hood and the AC intake area is sealed off from the engine compartment.

The way the air flows over the AC air intake area, it looks like it creates a vacuum actually. So the outside-air function will actually suck the air out from the vents rather than forcing air in. I'm gonna look into this some more when I'm bored lol. Might have to come up with some kinda mod to make this work the way I want it to.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
You guys don't drive around with the air on recirc? That keeps outside air from entering the car... Am I missing something here...?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Most the time I use the climate control and let it decide what to do. I've noticed if I try the recirc on climate control it switches back to pulling outside air shortly after

Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Most the time I use the climate control and let it decide what to do. I've noticed if I try the recirc on climate control it switches back to pulling outside air shortly after
When you select off, and then select Recirc, it should not turn itself back to vent. The air being pushed in the cowel is warm, and then going through the dash vents is warms up more, and then it get pushed out of the vents. When on recirc the intake under the cowel is closed which doesn't allow the warm air in. Every car I've ever driven is the same way, when left on vent, warm air enters the cabin through the A/C system. Putting it on recirc keeps this from happening.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I swear if I push the recirc button it turns on my ac. Only way to run with ac off is to leave it on vent. Maybe i'm doing it wrong....

Old 06-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
I swear if I push the recirc button it turns on my ac. Only way to run with ac off is to leave it on vent. Maybe i'm doing it wrong....
I just drove the G out for lunch just to confirm that I was telling you the correct thing. Hit Off on the AC panel, and then hit the Recirc button. It should NOT go back to venting, at least in my 03 Coupe it doesn't.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Conissah
I just drove the G out for lunch just to confirm that I was telling you the correct thing. Hit Off on the AC panel, and then hit the Recirc button. It should NOT go back to venting, at least in my 03 Coupe it doesn't.
Conissah is right, click recirculate if You are going to want to totally block outside air. It drops the cabin air filter port and no air flows.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Remove it, test, post back what you find out.

Personally, I think it's pretty far-fetched....

Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Do not operate your vehicle without the fiberboard shroud under your vehicle. Bad things can happen to your vehicle without it.
Like what ?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
I should probably have infiniti also install mine because no one else has been trained or qualified to install splash shields, right?

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Like what ?
If you're extremely lowered, something could hit the oil pan and crack it. But the plastic shield wont help at that point. At stock height, I'm not worried about anything. In my driving conditions, I don't see any problems other than maybe, just maybe rain and the alternator. I wouldn't run through snow and salty roads though.

Last edited by FreshLikeAG; 06-18-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 AM
@Conissah

Tried it the other day, you're right. It's awesome to know that. Always hated that warm air coming out of the vents. The little cubby above the head unit gets pretty damn hot too.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Splash Guard keeps Interior Warm?