G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   ECM refurbish or replace (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/465617-ecm-refurbish-replace.html)

jparker7269 01-07-2019 05:51 PM

ECM refurbish or replace

My 2004 G35 i recently acquired has an intermittent stalling issue. It will occasionally cut out at highway speeds no dash lights or it will stall for a couple of seconds with dash lights and CEL but immediately pick back up. In town it will randomly stall at a stop or at low speed when taking off. Generally has to sit for a few seconds to start back up. But then again it has ran flawless for days with no issue. The car at no time goes into a limp mode and the CEL does not stay on. It has been supposedly been tuned by Z1 which i believe as it runs like a bat out of hell. It has lower plenum, spacer, Borla exhaust, and custom test pipes, that I can see.
took it to the local Infiniti dealer and the only codes Ii am getting is P1065, U1000, and C1706. The technician said he cleared the P1065 and if it came back the ECM needs replaced. They offered to keep it and datalog it and see if it would die when driving and see what they see but suggested looking into a tuner to see what has been turned off. I do not believe Z1 turned everythign off. My handheld has "inc" on all cats, egr, and something else. I'm guessing someone doctored the check engine lights to sell it.
My primary question has anyone had an ECU refurbished, who did you use, or what is your suggestion. I'm hesitant to drive all the way to Atlanta from Birmingham and spend several hundred to have Z1 look at it to find out i need an ECU. I'm seeing refurbishing under $200.00

Please help.

edit: it is an automatic
Thanks...

herrschaft 01-07-2019 06:17 PM

You would need an electrical engineer/tech who has the schematics to troubleshoot and fix it, I would question the legitimacy of that. I would recommend taking it to someone who can diagnose it fully.

Hall Stevenson 01-07-2019 10:21 PM

Are these ECMs you're looking at just "used but verified working" ? Nothing wrong with something like that but I just don't see someone buying ECMs and checking and repairing them then selling for only $200.

jparker7269 01-07-2019 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson (Post 7158907)
Are these ECMs you're looking at just "used but verified working" ? Nothing wrong with something like that but I just don't see someone buying ECMs and checking and repairing them then selling for only $200.

No, actually it is anservice where you send your unit in and they go through it and fix any issues with it and send it back

coffeysm 01-08-2019 01:49 AM

If you can't find good reviews, I would stay away from something like that. I do know that some people fix ABS modules, throttle bodies, and things like that on Volvo's for instance, but those people have usually been vetted by a ton of members.

jparker7269 01-08-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by coffeysm (Post 7158915)
If you can't find good reviews, I would stay away from something like that. I do know that some people fix ABS modules, throttle bodies, and things like that on Volvo's for instance, but those people have usually been vetted by a ton of members.

Yeah, I was hoping to see some recommendations by some of our members for companies they had worked with before but coming up empty handed so far, same on some of the Facebook pages. I just hate to spend $1,000 on a new one for a $3,000 car...

cleric670 01-08-2019 05:49 PM

I would take the panel off to access the ECM and wiggle the wires to see if the engine stalls, then do the same thing at the IPDM. I would also unplug the the IPDM and ECM and verify there is no corrosion at the harness pins. It sounds to me like an intermittent short that is stalling the car.

cleric670 01-08-2019 05:50 PM

Make sure to unplug the battery and pump the brakes to drain residual voltage before unplugging those things.

saywat? 01-14-2019 09:19 PM

just buy a used one off ebay.