G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   04 G35 sedan gauge cluster failing (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/465760-04-g35-sedan-gauge-cluster-failing.html)

aislinn20 01-22-2019 06:43 PM

04 G35 sedan gauge cluster failing

About a month ago I went to start my car after work and it wouldn't start. After about 5 attempts it finally started but it would just barely run. It was like it was in limp mode. I put the car in diagnostic mode and got the codes. Then pulled the negative cable off the battery. After hooking it back up the car ran fine for a few days. Now the gauge cluster will either be completely off with no lights and no working gauges or portions of it will work. It varies what works and what doesn't. The car will start and run but it shifts horribly and the radiator fans are running wide open. When you slow to almost a stop it downshifts so hard it will almost throw you through the windshield. I think I got the error codes correct. 0462 ,1610, 2001. I did get the 0462 before and after I removed the negative battery cable. Not sure what's showing up on it now that it has gotten worse. Sometimes the gauges will freeze at whatever position they are in. When this happens the slip and vlsd will be illuminated most of the time. Sometimes the service engine light will be on and others not. Any body have any idea where to start? The first time it messed up I was thinking maybe it was the key and the car was disabled but the cluster going nuts has me thinking it's something worse. I have considered just parking the car and finding me something else to drive. I would rather not because I hate monthly payments but I don't want to spend $1000's on a $3000 car. Thanks in advance for any help.

aislinn20 01-24-2019 06:52 PM

I took this on my way home from work this evening. The speedometer and the gas gauge are working but the tach and thermometer aren't. When it does this the service engine light goes off and the vdc and slip lights come on. When the cluster is all working the car shifts fine. When it's like the image it shifts really hard. Does this sound like an ecu issue or is it electrical? I'm not sure where to start. I'm going to take it to autozone and have them get all the codes to be sure and see if I can trouble shoot from there. When this all started the gauge cluster would just go completely off with nothing working. Sometimes the back light would be on but the gauges all quit and the mileage would be gone.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...f13489a52a.jpg

cleric670 01-26-2019 02:23 PM

P0462 - Low fuel level circuit, likely an electrical problem related to the other intermittent failures.

P1610 - Anti-theft LOCK MODE, caused by using a key the car doesn't recognize, there's a very good chance the key you are using is dying and this MIGHT be the cause of some of these problems.

P2001 doesn't exist on this car, did you mean P2100 ? If so that's a throttle body control motor failure and can definitely cause issues like the lurching you are having.

I think you have some major electrical problems that need to be sorted out, get the battery tested, clean up the battery cables. This many problems to pop up all at the same time is strange, don't be afraid to have Nissan do a diagnostic on the vehicle because I also suspect your ECM may have had a catastrophic failure since these systems are all unrelated except through the ECM.

aislinn20 04-06-2019 06:32 PM

I ended up purchasing a truck so I would have something reliable to drive. The car for the past few years has always done this weird thing where it locks and unlocks the doors. Since the gauges quit the headlights have also started coming on and off. The car has been out in the garage for a few weeks now. I started checking and tearing everything apart. I noticed some water in the drivers side floor board. I pulled up the carpet and it was about an inch deep. I looked and looked and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally found it. There is a seam in the body directly above the bcm. When water pools on the wiper cowl and drains down it some how leaks through. I have since sealed the seam up but I think it may have gotten the bcm wet. I purchased a used one off of ebay. So far the issue with the doors locking and unlocking and the headlights have stopped. It would also drain the battery dead if I didn't take off the negative terminal. The gauge cluster still doesn't light up or work. I get a few lights when you first turn the key. I don't want to have the locksmith come out and reprogram the key till I get the gauges working again.
Where should I look next? Is there a fuse that controls the gauges? With the bcm getting wet what could have it destroyed if anything? I would like to get the car going again so that I can sell it or give it to one of my kids.