G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   General Tech Questions (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions-189/)
-   -   electronics issues-instruments panel and ABS pump running (https://g35driver.com/forums/general-tech-questions/465986-electronics-issues-instruments-panel-abs-pump-running.html)

SH0 02-19-2019 01:16 PM

electronics issues-instruments panel and ABS pump running

Hello everyone, I need some experienced opinions here

I've a 2006 G35X with about 157K miles. We have had the car about 6-7 years now with minor issues until lately.
The gas gauge has been an issue for a couple years now, possibly related or lead to new issues but not my current concern.
I had the crank sensor and 2 cam sensors light up last year which lit up the dashboard. If I recall correctly we had Nissan replace the crank sensor which also corrected the 2 cam sensors which were fouling.

Now the current situation...
Last week the dash lights started up again, check engine, VDC and what is new is that the left turn signal indicator was not working and the mileage backlight went out at the same time.
On the blinker, before anyone says anything, the turn signal bulbs do work on the exterior and you can hear the relay inside, just the indicator light on the cluster is out.
I can see the mileage if the brightness is turned all the way up and it's dark out. (this is annoying because we fill the tank every 200 mi due to the fuel gauge being faulty)

Yesterday, my wife called because she could hear a motor running with the engine shut off.
It seems the ABS pump motor is stuck running with the engine off.
I have disconnected the battery, but this seems to be the issue that's putting a fork into the G35x

I live in NW US. It is cold AF lately. My assumption after some light research led me to believe that the instrument wires could be frozen stiff and the frozen rough roads may have cracked a circuit or solder joint in the instrument panel.

I've contacted someone who rebuilds the instrument panels, but he doesn't think the ABS pump failure could be related to the panel.
I will take the car in for diagnostics when the roads are a bit better.
I don't have much faith in the diagnostics tests, its probably going to look like a CVS receipt......

Can you guys give me some thoughts on this?

cleric670 02-19-2019 03:44 PM

Untelated. The ABS relay is in the black plastic box in front of the ABS valve body, 3 wiring harnesses go into it and the relay sticks shut, sorta common failure.

Temporary fix is to tap on it pretty hard with the butt end of a screwdriver or something else solid.

SH0 02-19-2019 05:35 PM

Thank you!

I actually saw your previous post on this when I did a quick search yesterday and decided subscribe this morning.
Seems I may be lucky that I can replace the relay for a few bucks but might have an adventure ahead of me with the other electrical stuff if it's not related.
I'll definitely start with that though

SH0 02-19-2019 07:17 PM

Dumb question....

How is the relay attached to the stamped steel bracket? I can feel it bolted through the fender, but should the relay slide off the bracket or something?
Seems like it should lift or slide off the bracket
Sorry, it's like 8 degrees out and a blizzard, I don't have the patience to find the trick to remove this dumb thing from the bracket.
I ordered one, 213$ but a week out due to weather

cleric670 02-19-2019 07:32 PM

Yes it lifts off and it's a pain to get off. Use a screwdriver under it to depress the tab, take a picture under it with your phone and you should get able to see where it is. I strongly recommend wearing gloves because that metal tab is really sharp and when it goes your hand slides right along it.