General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

What can you tell me about my alignment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
What can you tell me about my alignment?

So I kinda eyeballed my toe adjustment on my rear wheels a few hundred miles ago since they looked like they had some excessive toe in. I adjusted them for more toe out. I did an inspection of the tires recently to see how theyre wearing and this is what I found. The edges of the tread look like theyre "folding" up. What do you guys think? Are these an indicator of too much toe out?

Shot of the rear side of the tire, outer edge. Looks like the trailing edges of the tread are lifted up.

Same

Rear of the tire again

Here's a shot from the front side of the tire

Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take a tape measure and as accurately as possible measure the inside measurements of the wheel-to-wheel at the front and rear of the wheel.

I used one of this style of tool (*see link) for MANY years to make adjustments to street and track cars, if you screw a couple sheets of plywood together and drive the vehicle on top of it then use a crossline laser like a Spectra LT20 you can draw a REALLY accurate picture of the current alignment down onto the plywood (put down masking tape to write on). Then just jack the vehicle up and make small adjustments, lower it, roll back a couple feet and forward a couple feet to settle everything then re-measure.

It wasn't until I made friends with the guys down at a local alignment shop that does a lot of custom work for modified vehicles that I started ever paying for my alignment

https://www.ebay.com/i/132300114192?chn=ps

A wheel indicator like this as well as a camber level and you can definitely make your own adjustments at home, just need a very flat and level surface to do it on.

EDIT: I didn't have a real camber gauge until recently, I typically just used a 360 degree magnetic protractor and stuck it to the wheel gauge or a piece of very straight wood cut to fit the edges of the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
As for the wear on the tires, that's called "feathering" and is caused by improper toe settings.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 AM
Cool. Yeah I guess it is feathering. I can tell it was an indicator that my toe is off. Just couldn't tell if its in or out. I did the camber myself and it was a pain in the asś trying to create a level surface using pieces of tiles under the wheels. I took my sweet time to get everything perfect and when I drove over the tiles they just all shattered with the weight of the car on em lolll. I finally managed to find a more even surface and get my camber in spec. I sure as hell dont wanna go thru that again though.

I found a reputable alignment shop close to me that specializes in lowered and custom cars. I talked to the dude over the phone and he seems to know his stuff. I'll be takin the car to him soon to get it straightened out.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Well I got my alignment done and it was all over the place! He couldnt dial out my rear camber because he said my toe was limiting it from going any further. He said he can dial out about another 1° if I install my aftermarket toe bolts though.

Heres the sheet.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Well I got my alignment done and it was all over the place! He couldnt dial out my rear camber because he said my toe was limiting it from going any further. He said he can dial out about another 1° if I install my aftermarket toe bolts though.

Heres the sheet.

If you are lowered at all, you at minimum need tow bolts. Glad you got them installed.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
If you are lowered at all, you at minimum need tow bolts. Glad you got them installed.
I already have one side installed, I just need to do the right side too now. But man, what a difference the alignment has made in the handling.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
Toe in factors

I’m also struggling to hold spec toe in. I’ve replaced ball joints, LCA bushings, but not compression rod bushings (yet). Dealer is trying to tell me strut coils are sagging/worn, which is causing toe to continuously change. I’ve replaced struts, but not coils. I was told by suspension shop to only replace struts at 140K, coils are fine.

Do coils on this vehicle lose spring rate and height ? Also, if so, do sagging coils affect toe in ?

Thanks for insight,

Cliff
2004 G35 coupe