G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Cccaaatttsss (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/229942-cccaaatttsss.html)

AmateuRN 06-29-2008 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ninous26
Do not punch your cats like the other guy said.. You will lose power and have major exhaust leakes.

Test pipes have big potential for power and not all test pipes sound bad.

Agreed (although I did this on my DD, no issues for over a year - where'd you hear this... and was the person being careful?). The other trick was just getting test pipes and wrapping the stock cat chamber around the pipe...

alphamatt 06-29-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ZXERT
Don't do it. Its not worth it. Either buy high flow cats or if you're extra crazy go for resonated test pipes. Replacing your cats does a few things.

1. Won't pass smog.
2. Illegal.
3. Sounds TERRIBLE
4. Makes your car smell like a gas station
5. Makes you wish you listened to me when I typed the 4 reasons above.

that made me lol

Skaterbasist 06-30-2008 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by HomieG35
...But in the very back of your mind know that it's $25,000 fine and some jail if caught (I think- God, I sound like Q45Tech...)...

I think you accidentally added an extra "0" :p

officerdbag 06-30-2008 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by HomieG35
Agreed (although I did this on my DD, no issues for over a year - where'd you hear this... and was the person being careful?). The other trick was just getting test pipes and wrapping the stock cat chamber around the pipe...

I've just seen people take a screw driver and just punch the **** out of their cats just get free up the exhaust.. it ended up costing them the money anyway, plus extra headaches.

OCG35 06-30-2008 11:52 AM

I've just seen people take a screw driver and just punch the **** out of their cats

I'm gonna post this in an animal rights forum!!! Its sounds too damn funny!!! :p

AmateuRN 07-01-2008 01:50 AM

I've just seen people take a screw driver and just punch the **** out of their cats just get free up the exhaust.. it ended up costing them the money anyway, plus extra headaches.

No no no no no...

Knock out the insides only... not just bash the **** out of it. The seals, gaskets, and outter appearence doesn't change. In essence, if you knock out all the actual converter, you have a straight pipe all the way through.

People with MKIII MR2's have to do this because the material in the cat decays very fast causing egine failure... I didn't mean to sound like all you do is punch holes in your ****.. lol, not at all.

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation. Buyers are advised to have the vehicle checked for all required emission control devices prior to purchasing a new or used vehicle.

ZoomZoom08 07-01-2008 02:50 PM

but getting a straight bar is basically getting the HFCs which i dont want.

SDGenius 07-01-2008 03:07 PM

I have the Kinetix HFC's, sound GREAT and great wieght savings. i don't recommend Test Pipes unless you've got a Turbo or upgraded ur internals, if N/A. make sure to get a tune. you'll lose on low end and some responsivness, to gain mid/high end w/HFC's(amp'd if ya go w/test pipes).