G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Muffler Delete/Tuning Question (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/358007-muffler-delete-tuning-question.html)

Extirpate 11-18-2010 08:56 PM

Muffler Delete/Tuning Question

Don't know if this is the right spot since it covers a few topics so if it is the wrong spot I apologise.

But here's the question:
I recently took my muffler off and I really like the sound (I know this is sort of a hot topic with some people) but I have the motordyne XYZ Y-Pipe, along with other breather mods, with a resonator so the exhaust note has no rasp and really isn't that much louder until about 5k+ rpm. I did notice the drop in power though. So would a tune (after I get berk HFC's) eliminate the problem/deal with it/have another option?

thescreensavers 11-18-2010 09:05 PM

Drone you has it

It just moved your power higher up in the band. Thats what I hear it does.

Mustang5L5 11-18-2010 09:13 PM

Yes, power band shifts higher, but on a street car, low end torque is more important that high end horsepower. You lose that power low end because mechanical exhaust scavenging due to back pressure of the exhaust actually creates torque. You won't be able to recover that with a tune

If you want to run no muffler, gonna have to deal with it.

Extirpate 11-18-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 5490349)
Yes, power band shifts higher, but on a street car, low end torque is more important that high end horsepower. You lose that power low end because mechanical exhaust scavenging due to back pressure of the exhaust actually creates torque. You won't be able to recover that with a tune

If you want to run no muffler, gonna have to deal with it.

What about running a pipe to the bumper or does it need to be a muffler?

nazc0 11-18-2010 10:11 PM

needs to be a muffler, but honestly i didnt notice a drop at all in power, its still able to spill my friends drink all over his face on the freeway on ramp

Extirpate 11-18-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by nazc0 (Post 5490480)
needs to be a muffler, but honestly i didnt notice a drop at all in power, its still able to spill my friends drink all over his face on the freeway on ramp

Yeah I mean its still got some torques but I figured if someone knew a way to get around the problem its worth a shot.

I have the HKS muffler in the garage but I wasn't too impressed with the change from stock. Sounded barely louder than stock. I'm not wanting something that when I fire it up it'll wake the neighbors up but I'm a man who enjoys his exhaust notes/taffy

thescreensavers 11-18-2010 11:23 PM

^ reason I got the magnaflow :)

something a bit louder and not too loud.

NFSP G35 11-19-2010 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Extirpate (Post 5490570)
Yeah I mean its still got some torques but I figured if someone knew a way to get around the problem its worth a shot.

I have the HKS muffler in the garage but I wasn't too impressed with the change from stock. Sounded barely louder than stock. I'm not wanting something that when I fire it up it'll wake the neighbors up but I'm a man who enjoys his exhaust notes/taffy

I'll just take that off your hands. 100 shipped? Ok sounds like a deal :biggthumpup:

ccc123pm 11-19-2010 12:09 AM

anybody ever consider a straight midpipe?

NFSP G35 11-19-2010 12:15 AM

^Several have done it.

DaveB 11-19-2010 12:21 AM

Go to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a bolt-on pipe that has a small resonator and terminates at the bumper and then add a resonated exhaust tip (~3.5"). It should help things a little and will clean up the sound.

626Gthirtyfive 11-19-2010 02:46 AM

OP: I am surprised you're not satisfied with the HKS. Put on the HKS recently and I really like it, although it is a lot quieter then I expected. Really screams when you stomp on the gas though. I was thinking about getting a magnaflow too, but I don't think the magnaflow would be much louder then the HKS. I wonder how the HKS would sound paired up with resonated tp/hfc :D

socialconflicts 11-19-2010 03:29 AM

megans catback is louder than the hks. i wanted a deeper sound with my stillen (mine u i set off alarms in my area :D:D), but ima just go with test pipes.. i got some megan test pipes for 110 brand spankin' new :D drone here i come O_O

626Gthirtyfive 11-19-2010 03:32 AM

Does it sound as good as the HKS though? :D

socialconflicts 11-19-2010 03:37 AM

^i actually like the megan more than the hks...