Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
So let me get this straight, you're going to spend $250 for an intake that nets you zero gains in HP yet you think a spacer for the same price that will add a good 10-15 HP is overpriced?

Oh grasshopper you have lots to learn about the G.
Well I suppose if you consider the materials cost that goes into making the spacer, maybe it's probably well overpriced but even then the performance gains are undeniable. That's really the only argument I suppose you could make for thinking the spacer is overpriced relative to $/HP for this car.

The Part# for the plugs I used were LFR5AIX-11. Got em' off Fleabay for $50 for all 6 and went Iridium over copper because on the G it's a pain to change plugs (compared to my Maxima) and for some reason I got them for less than Plats. It was my understanding that Iridiums were typically more expensive than Plats since they have comparable life spans but perform slightly better.

I've been running a KNN filter on my Maxima for 10 years now and haven't had a problem. If you properly maintain it, you should be fine but go with what makes you comfortable.

Last edited by RastaManMax; 06-21-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The R&D that Tony has put into his parts goes well beyond just the material's cost. Remember that when judging what his parts cost. IMHO everything he sells is worth the $$$ it costs us to buy them.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
The R&D that Tony has put into his parts goes well beyond just the material's cost. Remember that when judging what his parts cost. IMHO everything he sells is worth the $$$ it costs us to buy them.
Totally agree with regards to the spacer. I was just trying to find any sort of argument I could think of for the spacer being overpriced...

A couple of other MD parts I do think are overpriced but the spacer isn't one of them.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitnail
Great, sounds good. I'll order some when I get the new Stillen Intake

I think that plenum spacer is SUPER over priced.... Goodness..
I have a brand new motordyne 5/16 ISO thermal Spacer that includes everything for $200? Let me know if you're interested

Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Totally agree with regards to the spacer. I was just trying to find any sort of argument I could think of for the spacer being overpriced...

A couple of other MD parts I do think are overpriced but the spacer isn't one of them.
If you are referring to the MREV2, that thing is definitely worth the money as it's one of the best mods you can buy for the price. It just doesn't do much for you unless you have a revup motor.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
If you are referring to the MREV2, that thing is definitely worth the money as it's one of the best mods you can buy for the price. It just doesn't do much for you unless you have a revup motor.
Some of the exhaust components moreso.

The MREV2 not so much but I did recall a thread on my350 where some of the guys were doing their own work on the DE plenum and getting pretty decent results.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight, you're going to spend $250 for an intake that nets you zero gains in HP yet you think a spacer for the same price that will add a good 10-15 HP is overpriced?

Oh grasshopper you have lots to learn about the G.
I found it hard to believe that a CAI has no gains... It's interesting. I would rather buy an intake manifold than buy a CAI or a spacer.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RastaManMax

Im not saying its low quality. Being business owner myself I find it hard to believe a tall glorified gasket is that much. Just my opinion. I also come from a totally different market, I previously owned a jeep grand Cherokee and parts were DIRT cheap. So I gues I'm a bit bias.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I found it hard to believe that a CAI has no gains... It's interesting. I would rather buy an intake manifold than buy a CAI or a spacer.
You will see gains way up top with a true CAI that moves the intake filter out of the engine compartment like the Nismo, but you lose a lot of low and mid end for it, and that's where most of this car's usable power is.

Most manifolds available will actually lose power unless you are boosted although upper plenums will work fine for NA, but a spacer will give you the same gains for less money.

Last edited by dofu; 06-22-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Im not saying its low quality. Being business owner myself I find it hard to believe a tall glorified gasket is that much. Just my opinion. I also come from a totally different market, I previously owned a jeep grand Cherokee and parts were DIRT cheap. So I gues I'm a bit bias.
The spacer is relatively cheap and it makes good power for the price. You'll see and feel the difference in acceleration and that's all that matters here.

Last edited by dofu; 06-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
You will see gains way up top with a true CAI that moves the intake filter out of the engine compartment like the Nismo, but you lose a lot of low and mid end for it, and that's where most of this car's usable power is.

Most manifolds available will actually lose power unless you are boosted although upper plenums will work fine for NA, but a spacer will give you the same gains for less money.
Why would the Nismo CAI lose power at the low and mid range? thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by dominate
Why would the Nismo CAI lose power at the low and mid range? thanks
Yeah it's a bit contrary to what I understood about CAI's from a few different cars. Short ram's typically gave up low end and produced on the high end whereas CAI's from other cars, gave up on the high end and produced more positive results on the low end.

Either way, we're not talking big power here.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Somewhere on here there is a full test of several CAI, there was not 2-3 hp difference between them or to the OEM intake. That kind of numbers can be attributed to head soak, or air temp, or even the plain accuracy of the dyno.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Go look up sexyrobs post on "dynoing out the myth on intake mods." I'll link to it when I'm off my iPhone. Too lazy right now.

And don't be afraid to making a donation to the Dyno time he paid for to get the info.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I've been reading everywhere about how intakes essentially do nothing but sound for our cars. I have a 07 coupe and I read that 06-07 all came with the rev-up airbox that a lot of people like to switch to. Mostly everybody seemed to agree that the rev-up airbox + k&n filter is the way to go. So by me putting the JWT popcharger along with the ztube into my car. I would lost a lot of power when stationary due to heat soak? and that the heat shield is a joke? I bought the JWT and z-tube originally for the sound but will it really drain my overall useable power like that? I keep reading different results from different drivers and I'm not sure if its due to what year their G is.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?