Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

buying a used exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a used exhaust?

should i be concerned buying a used exhaust?
finally the snow is melting and its getting warmer
this is going to be my first upgrade to the car.

its a top speed pro1 n1 exhaust
300 shipped to me? good deal?

i did find a brand new godspeed exhaust shipped to me for 360.
should i invest in a new one or is it okay buying a used one?
and which is a better quality exhaust?
and if anyone can possibly direct me to a vendor here on the forum that has a good price for my price range that would be awesome
im not a big baller that can afford those 700 dollar exhausts

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
If a new one is $60 more. I would buy new with out a doubt!

The following users liked this post:
TheNative (02-20-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
so after watching all these videos of exhaust clips and reading...
can someone explain to me what are y pipes/HR y pipes/& test pipes
it seems like those just enhance the sound of the current exhaust which i think im leaning more towards just because thats the initial reason why i love this car because of the exhaust

and basically which one would enhance the exhaust note more?

thanks!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Let's discuss exhaust system vids, they're only a good as the Wallmart systems they're recorded on! If you want to decide which exhaust system to buy attend meets and listen to them in person! Ok, y-pipes our G35s don't come with a true dual exhaust. A y-pipe comes off the OE cats to a single pipe that runs the length of your car where it joins a muffler with twin outlets. HR y-pipes are aftermarket and have a few better bends but show no real gains in WHP. Test pipes are just straight pipes that replace the OE converters and I might add illegal in every state! If you want a better sounding exhaust system buy Fast Intention high flow cats, that's an automatic 6 to 8 WHP gain. The OE cats are very restrictive as you might have guessed by the increase. It's important for new members to use our Search function and read all the stickys at the top of the coupe page...knowledge is power!
Gary

Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up

Buying a used exhaust shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a good one. I bought my Exoticspeed exhaust used from a member on this site and I enjoy it daily. You may have to increase the amount you're willing to spend for your exhaust. Check the private classified they may have something you want. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM
now as far as high flow cats go is it almost the same as getting an exhaust to where it doesnt really matter on the brand since im going to assume they all work the same

Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be fine as long as nothing is bent or loose. Buying a used exhaust also has its goods! Cheaper and you dont really have to break it in!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Not making a new topic just want to ask
I'm located upstate New York....fort drum to be exact
Now my question is about intakes. The myth about having a CAI is it can absorb water and pretty much total the engine. At least from my understand....
I want to know if there is any truth to that. Or is it just a myth. Am I better off getting a short ram. Or just get an injen CAI?

Also of just saying **** it and get the stillen/ z tube combo

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by JarJar9104
Not making a new topic just want to ask
I'm located upstate New York....fort drum to be exact
Now my question is about intakes. The myth about having a CAI is it can absorb water and pretty much total the engine. At least from my understand....
I want to know if there is any truth to that. Or is it just a myth. Am I better off getting a short ram. Or just get an injen CAI?

Also of just saying **** it and get the stillen/ z tube combo

Would appreciate any input. Thanks
Look. CAI's in most cars are great in all but just like SRI's (short-rams) they are going to have issues with heat soak. On top of that, if you were to drive over a big puddle (not knowing whats under) and your front end dips in, it could lock your engine and force a rebuild. With all this you get maybe 5 HP? You can't even feel that little. Stick to an SRI if you love the sound or grab an 05+ 6MT REVup air intake box.

Myth about CAI =/= a myth, its straight truth. All that has to happen is the water surrounds about 90% of your intake and whoosh it gets vacuumed right into the heart of your combustion chamber.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes my thing is to to enhance the sound of the car. I'm not looking for a performance jump because I know no matter what all these companies promote it's not realistic.
REVup air intake box? Never heard of it. How much do they go for? And where can I get one for a good price?
I have an 04 auto coupe....would that be fine?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If you have a CAI like the NISMO "long tube", yes water can be a problem even with the by-pass valve. I took my long section off and just use the short ram now.

As for buying a used exhaust, if it's made of Stainless Steel or Titanium, I wouldn't worry, Just get a good price.

I got my HKS "axle back" muffler for $150, it' looked brand new. they sell for around $400. It's still gong strong eight years later.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
The exhausts you're looking at are garbage. Plain and simple. Save your money and don't waste $300 making your G into a drone mobile. Be patient and a solid $500 setup will appear on here no doubt. You, your neighbors, your ears and everyone you drive past will be much happier you did. And yes you will get what you pay for when it comes to test pipes. Non resonated with an eBay exhaust and watch the honda guys and high schoolers with plasti dip cans flock to your car.

And for the love of God search a bit please.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Now can you add a ztube to a SRI....or does the ZTUBE replace the intake tubing and just connects to an air filter?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Keep it to a z tube and rev up box^

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
The exhausts you're looking at are garbage. Plain and simple. Save your money and don't waste $300 making your G into a drone mobile. Be patient and a solid $500 setup will appear on here no doubt. You, your neighbors, your ears and everyone you drive past will be much happier you did. And yes you will get what you pay for when it comes to test pipes. Non resonated with an eBay exhaust and watch the honda guys and high schoolers with plasti dip cans flock to your car.

And for the love of God search a bit please.
I'm not looking at exhausts anymore. I decided just to get berk HFC since it seems to keep the exhaust note just enhancing it which is exactly what I want

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying a used exhaust?