Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Y pipe Tanabe vs Megan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y pipe Tanabe vs Megan

I am searching for a quality Y pipe for my 2003 g35 sedan. I live in nj so the winters are harsh im worried the megan isnt as well built as the tanabe, even though they are made of the same material. Both can be found on amazon by searching/ g35 y pipe. I already have a tanabe exhaust and I love it however I find the y pipes price to be very high, it also seems to have features I dont really need Like EGT bung. I can afford it, I just dont know if the Tanabe is worth the price?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:03 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Infiniti-only...rds=g35+y+pipe

just found this one its also on amazon, seems like it may be a better fit then the megan since its exclusively for rwd g35s, and the same kind of steel as the other 2

Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Don't overthink thing . Except for the Motordyne XYZ a y-pipe is a y-pipe. I'd pick the XYZ (actually did years ago lol) but if that's not a choice for you just pick the cheapest of the three you mentioned and be happy you got a decent quality piece.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the Reply and I also use a cell phone OBD scanner with dash command, worth every penny. Would this XYZ make my car sound more like the 2 door? or is that sound because of the dual muffler system ? ( my car has only 1) btw im using a tanabe touring exhaust. also is this xyz better quality then 304- stainless steel?

So far im going with the RWD only M2 y pipehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2N1AXXY2F9TEV, since its decent steel, seems to be made with my rwd frame in mind and its much less! im not into going fast anymore. looking for sound and quality, some of the reviews of the cheapest y pipes on amazon say that they had leaks I dont think they were made of 304 steel since it wasnt mentioned in the description ( that may answer quality compliant issues. I know it sounds like im overthinking but I dont wanna have to do this again.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:49 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The XYZ can change the sound of your car but a sedan will never sound like a coupe due to a totally different exhaust. For it to fit your car you will need to buy one of the modules: either a resonated or catalytic module or a straight pipe version.

Just go with the M2 you mentioned, it sounds like the XYZ would be overkill for your car.

The following users liked this post:
cyrus32 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I got a Beluga Racing Y-pipe locally, I believe its still $169 but can't promise they currently have any in stock. Seems to be a quality piece. I have a Tanabe exhaust on the way, originally ordered the Megan but apparently it is back ordered with no production date set.

The Beluga Y-pipe seemed to change the exhaust pitch somewhat, probably due to larger piping but I wouldn't say it is louder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.