Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

My new setup: Exoticspeed R1-T GT + Circuit Werks Resonated Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My new setup: Exoticspeed R1-T GT + Circuit Werks Resonated Y-Pipe

I installed my new setup on friday and oh my god it sounds good. It sounds like a cross between Tomei and Motordyne, and it has no ricey sounds, and no rasp, but between 1.5k and 2.5k there is some mean drone, and I think perhaps the resonator on the y pipe is so powerful it's causing the low frequency noises. I'll definitely work on getting some clips up of my setup. The drone at that RPM range is pretty bad though, going to take it to a professional exhaust shop and see if they can diagnose why.

Edit: Butt dyno tells me it pulls harder. With the stock exhaust, the G35 feels neutered when you get near the redline. With this setup, the car pulls hard all the way, and I think the reason is that even though the R1-T is a single pipe back, it's wider, so you get a better exhaust flow. IIRC, the stock y-pipe is dual 2.25 inch pipes to a single 2.5 inch pipe, which goes all the way back to the muffler. The y pipe I got is dual 2.5 inch to single 3 inch pipe, which goes all the way back to where it splits and goes to the large mufflers. Also, the mufflers on the R1-T GT are basically empty (I should have gotten the GT-sport which is a bit quieter), so less resistance there I guess.

Last edited by philbegas; 06-25-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM
I have no idea how to embed, but this is a quick light pull I did leaving the shop. Car was cold so I didn't want to go too hard.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Throaty! Hope you can get the drone issue worked out.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Me too haha. I'm thinking about getting a proper bullet muffler instead of the resonator on the y pipe, I feel like the resonator has made it too loud at low rpms, and a muffler might be more beneficial, I wouldn't mind the system being like 4db quieter lol

Old 06-26-2018, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds good man! did you buy everything brand new? if you did the exhaust note is probly gonna change a little after a few hundred miles, and will probly sound better. i'd wait until you break it in before buying the muffler.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Yea everything was brand spankin new. I've driven it maybe 200 miles so far (went to the beach over the weekend), so how long do you think I should wait before making any decisions? I wasn't going to actually hurt the exhaust as it currently is, I was just thinking maybe since the y pipe's resonator is removable, maybe I'll have an exhaust shop weld a bullet muffler extension for me to try out, like a magnaflow bullet.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im not exactly sure, i googled it and some people say about 500-800 miles..ish but you might like the sound more after that, and save a couple hundred bucks on changing your muffler.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Take a look at the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and see if you can swap that in.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Take a look at the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and see if you can swap that in.
Yea maybe. If I can just get a shop to weld some flanges onto it so I can replace my current resonator with it.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
The resonator on the Circuit-Werks Y-pipe is not the issue. It actually quieted some of the 2500 rpm drone of my Tanabe Medalion exhaust. Now I've also replaced the Tanabe resonator with a Vibrant Ultra-Quiet resonator and the muffler with a Dynomax Super Flow turbo muffler. Got rid of the boominess on part throttle acceleration and the drone at 2500 rpm is way less than it was. At 75 mph and about 2800 rpm (speed limits in our express lanes) my car is very quiet now. But sounds great when you get on it.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Ugh I'd hate to modify this exhaust as it is because that would really diminish its resale values

Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I didn't really want to hack mine up either but couldn't stand the drone.My car is way more pleasant on the freeway now.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:11 PM
I went to a muffler shop and they basically were like: as long as it's a 3 inch back to the muffler you're gonna have drone. I'm either going to sell it or just adjust my driving style I guess?

I just love how it sounds in a tunnel or on the lower level of a bridge

Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by philbegas
I went to a muffler shop and they basically were like: as long as it's a 3 inch back to the muffler you're gonna have drone.
This is the biggest bunch of bullsh!t I've heard on here in a long time. I have the MD VQ sedan exhaust, it's the prototype but that's another story, it's 3" from front to back and it has ZERO drone, none. There are more 3" systems out there that are in the same boat you'll just have to look around.. Run, run, run from that muffler shop and find one who knows WTF they're talking about.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I would wait until the pipes have been 'broken in' as suggested by another member. You have to wait for inside of the exhaust to be coated with some carbon before you can truly judge the tone of it.

On my old exhaust, right when I left the exhaust shop, was so incredibly loud. I actually hated my exhaust and kind of wished I hadn't touched it. After a couple hundred miles the exhaust had toned down a considerable amount, and I was much happier with it. Give it some time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new setup: Exoticspeed R1-T GT + Circuit Werks Resonated Y-Pipe