G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Is A welded exhaust bad? (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/465682-welded-exhaust-bad.html)

Ichiglo_ 01-14-2019 03:01 AM

Is A welded exhaust bad?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...803b371f0.jpeg
so I’m new to the car scene and I had purchased a Z1 single exit Exhaust exit that comes with the straight pipe/mid pipe with muffler only along with a manzo Y pipe For My SEDAN..I took it to a muffler shop to get in installed and as soon as it was done they had told me that they had to Cut of the two tips of the of y pipe and weld it to the stock cats due to my cats being super rusty.Along with the z1 single exit welded to a piece of steel to the y pipe due to The mid pipe not reaching the y pipe.They also welded where the muffler goes due it being too short (exhaust was meant for a 350z) so they welded another piece of metal to extended the muffler tip out to clear it.Anyways very hard to explain but now essentially my whole exhaust set up is welded and wanted to know if that’s a bad thing? Car still sound bad *** though but I currently have a leak on my y pipe’s flex pipe because of scraping lol HERE IS THE SOUND CLIP

Scorpi0 01-14-2019 04:22 AM

Nope. Thats what muffler shops do!

Ichiglo_ 01-14-2019 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0 (Post 7159398)
Nope. Thats what muffler shops do!

cool just asking because I went to a tuning/suspension shop and they kinda looked down on it like if it was a bad thing to have an exhaust setup welded

Blue Dream 01-14-2019 08:33 AM

What's with the exhaust tip touching the muffler? It's going to melt that part of the bumper when it gets hot. I'm surprised the shop left that installed, pretty crappy IMHO. Do more research next time when you buy something, there's an extension pipe you can buy to mate a Z exhaust up to a G that would have made this job simpler and cheaper. Glad you're happy with the sound and take my advice, don't give a sh!t what other people think about you and your car. Be yourself, make your car your own and be happy with life. It's too short for other people's snobby attitudes to bring you down. Maybe they were jealous of the exhaust but didn't know how to express that lol.

jbarnett250 01-14-2019 09:28 AM

I would think one bad thing about having the whole thing welded is that it would make it more difficult to disassemble for maintenance. I need to pull my hfc out to swap an a/f sensor and it's easy enough to remove the nuts at the manifold and y-pipe. If that were welded up, I'd have to drop everything. The upside to having the whole thing welded is you won;t have the leaks I have at every flange... the only reason i haven't had a shop weld mine together to get rid of my leaks is that I don't like the idea of dropping the whole thing to work on any piece of it.

coffeysm 01-14-2019 09:51 AM

It does kind of suck if you need to do future work yourself, but if you bring it back to a muffler shop they would just weld it anyway. Plus, I've noticed that welds might rust sooner than the stock setup. Example my stock setup lasted several years before needing work and then I had my muffler welded to a mid-pipe. The weld lasted two or three years before a hole rotted into it, so I used some Fiba HeatWrap to fix that for 15 bucks vs. another 150 to have them re-weld it.

Ichiglo_ 01-14-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7159401)
What's with the exhaust tip touching the muffler? It's going to melt that part of the bumper when it gets hot. I'm surprised the shop left that installed, pretty crappy IMHO. Do more research next time when you buy something, there's an extension pipe you can buy to mate a Z exhaust up to a G that would have made this job simpler and cheaper. Glad you're happy with the sound and take my advice, don't give a sh!t what other people think about you and your car. Be yourself, make your car your own and be happy with life. It's too short for other people's snobby attitudes to bring you down. Maybe they were jealous of the exhaust but didn't know how to express that lol.

what do you mean by the exhaust tip touching the muffler? And as of right now I haven’t been a problem it’s freezing out here now the Midwest so nothing is melting here lol & for real lately I feel like people’s opinions have made me want to sell my car I thought about it and decided to keep it.Thank you for those wise words lol

Ichiglo_ 01-14-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by coffeysm (Post 7159411)
It does kind of suck if you need to do future work yourself, but if you bring it back to a muffler shop they would just weld it anyway. Plus, I've noticed that welds might rust sooner than the stock setup. Example my stock setup lasted several years before needing work and then I had my muffler welded to a mid-pipe. The weld lasted two or three years before a hole rotted into it, so I used some Fiba HeatWrap to fix that for 15 bucks vs. another 150 to have them re-weld it.

yes I notice some of my welds have already began to rust because of the snow we’ve gotten at my area.Yes I could imagine that would be harder to install I actually wanted to buy ART pipes and a new y pipe later on this year and in order to do that I’m going to cut off the midpipe connected to the y pipe and welded on again to the new y pipe

cswlightning 01-14-2019 10:19 PM

If you go to a good muffler shop, they spray their welds with a rustproof coating which really slows down the rusting process.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...161df70625.jpg

All the silver around my mufflers are welds in 409 SS that aren't going to rust anytime soon.

It's crappy welds you have to worry about.