G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   Exhaust Question (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/466672-exhaust-question.html)

BigJLocke 05-13-2019 12:27 AM

Exhaust Question

So I have done every exhaust thread search I can find and everyone just wants to know about LOUDER exhaust. I don't need it much louder, but being that I am an old school hot rod guy and a Harley guy, I want to know what kind of exhaust I could put on my 05 G35 sport coupe to make the exhaust deeper. To be honest, it sounds a little ricey and I need something that sounds bad *** and not 'Oh that's cute.'

Scorpi0 05-13-2019 02:03 AM

The deepest / most roaring exhaust Ive heard for these cars is the Motordyne TDX with Art pipes....but theyre gonna be loud as ****.

I did a little mod to my OEM exhaust just to make it a bit louder but still keeps the original sound. U might like it if u heard it.

BigJLocke 05-13-2019 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0 (Post 7167819)
The deepest / most roaring exhaust Ive heard for these cars is the Motordyne TDX with Art pipes....but theyre gonna be loud as ****.

I did a little mod to my OEM exhaust just to make it a bit louder but still keeps the original sound. U might like it if u heard it.

What did you do to it?

Galo 05-13-2019 03:06 PM

BJL, where are you located in Indy? I'm near the W86th St V's. The exhaust on my G('06 Coupe 6MT RevUp RAS) is a bit louder than I'd like(yes, I bought the car this way), and I'm in the process of hopefully making it a bit more civil. I'll PM you...

Scorpi0 05-14-2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigJLocke (Post 7167820)
What did you do to it?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...7504a6c5ca.jpg
See those two washers I put in between the exhaust piping flange? It lets some of the sound escape through there. Most of it still goes thru the muffler so it still sounds the same...this just adds some depth to it. I did a lot of expermineting with different gaps and this was the perfect balance. Do this to only one of the bolts on the flange. If done to both, it will be too big of a gap, too loud and will change the exhaust tone. I used 2 washers...1/16" thickness each. So total 1/8" gap.

herrschaft 05-15-2019 07:10 PM

Personally, I would not consider an exhaust leak a "mod".

This is a higher compression V6, so unless you change out the pistons and cams its never going to sound "deep". There are plenty of exhaust setups the sound like sh!t that will generally sound a little deeper, as long as you don't mind the fact that they sound like a raspy POS.

I would say search through youtube and see what you find. I'm a little biased though and dislike most of the aftermarket setups I've seen.

cswlightning 05-15-2019 07:41 PM

You could always pick up a cheap used HKS replica exhaust ($70 in my area) and throw mufflers on it until it sounds like what you want... It's definitely deep and loud, a bit too much so IMO. But it's never going to sound like a V8, that's why you get a V8.... Also, it has like 220 WHP, IMO don't write checks your engine can't cash.

Galo 05-18-2019 12:46 PM

I'll try again...

The exhaust on my G is deep, isn't ricey and definitely not "cute". I'm an old timer...started driving in '66 and have been working on my(and my brother's and friends) various cars('55-'56 Chevys, AH Sprite, 2 Cosworth/Vega's, 2 '66 Vettes, 3 MR2 Spyders & now my G) since.

I PM-ed you earlier with my contact info...if you want to hear my G's exhaust... I also just made some changes to the exhaust, and it's definitely not as loud, but still a good, deeper sound.

Enjoy!

Scorpi0 05-18-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by herrschaft (Post 7168019)
Personally, I would not consider an exhaust leak a "mod".

Hey hey....its not a leak!! Its a precisely calculated release of sound :D