G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Interior & Exterior (https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior-21/)
-   -   $5 Door Lock Motor (Actuator) Fix (https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior/166213-5-door-lock-motor-actuator-fix.html)

Strtsk8r321 10-16-2008 05:32 AM

If I buy the oem actuator is it just a straight forward plug and play?

Mannyz33 10-16-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Strtsk8r321
If I buy the oem actuator is it just a straight forward plug and play?

Yes and no...... basicly once mounted all is good and will work however it's location can be a pain in the a$$. tucked way back where the door lock is that latches on to the body of the car. you must remove the window....etc

Also......considering how many of us have this issue, what are the chances of it going bad on you again........ high I think

blAk mAx 10-16-2008 07:33 PM

i havent taken my door pannel off, where does removing the window come into play?

Mannyz33 10-16-2008 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by blAk mAx
i havent taken my door pannel off, where does removing the window come into play?

If you are chooseing to replace the actuator with an OEM replacment then the window must be removed.
If done like I posted then no, it does not need to be taking out

mmooney84 10-19-2008 08:48 PM

I have an 03 g35 coupe and the drivers side actuator went out. I followed the steps on this page and it didn't work. The factory actuator was totally out and the new actuator wasn't powerful enough to open and close.

This is probably a great fix for those of you that have a weak factory actuator but if yours was totally out like mine I recommend getting another dealer one.

Nice work though.

Mannyz33 10-19-2008 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by mmooney84
I have an 03 g35 coupe and the drivers side actuator went out. I followed the steps on this page and it didn't work. The factory actuator was totally out and the new actuator wasn't powerful enough to open and close.

This is probably a great fix for those of you that have a weak factory actuator but if yours was totally out like mine I recommend getting another dealer one.

Nice work though.

Not to sure what a week OEM actuator would have to do with it not fuctioning......

Unless you have a electrical problem with the wireing I dont understand why it should not work. Aftermarket actuators should be have more then enough power to do the job.

Did you double check the wires you connected?
Did you modify the rod to short? Or maybe the clamp holding the rod and oem actuator wire is lose.......

sorry to hear that

L7nx 10-20-2008 04:38 PM

i'm gonna try it right now, i just received my actuator from parts express for my passenger side door that went out, i dont even know where to begin to remove the door panels etc, evemore i'm clueless about splicing and connecting wires, lets see if its plug and play, any additional info would and be greatly appreciated :D

blAk mAx 10-20-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by L7nx
i'm gonna try it right now, i just received my actuator from parts express for my passenger side door that went out, i dont even know where to begin to remove the door panels etc, evemore i'm clueless about splicing and connecting wires, lets see if its plug and play, any additional info would and be greatly appreciated :D

door panel removal

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...l-removal.html

L7nx 10-20-2008 08:40 PM

Thanks blak mAx,

I got everything out, and everything on, but like i sad, i'm such a begginer with wiring, i dont know what to do, i located the oem motor wires behidn the speakers, what do i do with the wires that came with the actuator, i dont know how to splice or tab into them :(

Mannyz33 10-20-2008 09:35 PM

Thanks blak mAx,

I got everything out, and everything on, but like i sad, i'm such a begginer with wiring, i dont know what to do, i located the oem motor wires behidn the speakers, what do i do with the wires that came with the actuator, i dont know how to splice or tab into them :(

PM sent

Mannyz33 10-20-2008 09:50 PM

Thanks blak mAx,

You have to buy some 18Gage wire to connect the wires from the actuator to the wires behind the door speaker.....(get your self blue and purple if you want to make it easier for you).... If you bought the partsExpress actuator with the blue & green wires, blue goes with blue and green to purple.
And also need to buy the connectors, you can pick them up at the auto parts store. I took the actuator with me to find the male or female match & the connectors to tap into the wire.

mmooney84 11-14-2008 01:55 PM

help help

I need helps guys. I did this 5 dollar acutator fix and at first it seemed like it would work. THen it stopped working. So I bought a new oem actuator. And now it doesnt work. I am still getting power through my wires but it must not be enough to power the lock. Is my BCM out or is there a relay or something. My passenger side works fine just not my drivers side.

Mannyz33 11-16-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mmooney84
I need helps guys. I did this 5 dollar acutator fix and at first it seemed like it would work. THen it stopped working. So I bought a new oem actuator. And now it doesnt work. I am still getting power through my wires but it must not be enough to power the lock. Is my BCM out or is there a relay or something. My passenger side works fine just not my drivers side.

For the 5$ door lock fix that failed............. maybe one of the conections from the wires on the door lock actuator to the one on the car could have come lose or undone.
Or maybe a bad actuator, I bought mine from the same place as the guy who originally posted this thread and mine came with a bad clamp and they sent me a whole new actuator in three days.
Get a new one and try again.

I did not get the oem ones cause if there this bad already the chances of them going bad again after spending 300 per side are to high IMOP

mmooney84 12-23-2008 02:33 PM

be careful with this cheap fix guys. THe wires going to the actuator come from a little computer chip control module and if you make any little mistake you can fry it and your door switches.

Below is what happend to me.

mmooney84 12-23-2008 02:34 PM

let me actually tell you guys the full story in case it happends to anyone again. I tried the $5 dollar actuator fix because my driver door lock was out. I got it all hooked up and it worked a couple times and then quit working. Somehow EIther the wire grounded out or the bcm shorted out because it wasnt used to this cheap $5 actuator. So I bought the OEM actuator $150 bucks and installed it and it didnt work and i noticed my passenger window and locks were out. So I bought a used BCM and plugged everything in and it didnt make a difference. THen I bought the door switches driver and passenger. now everything worked except the car wouldnt start. I plugged the old bcm and the car would start but the drivers side switches didnt work..

SO long story short the $5 dollar actuator fix shorted out my BCM and my driver side and passenger side switches. Now I am going to the dealer to spend another $100-150 getting my new BCM programmed.

all together this mistake has cost me $350 dollars less than if I had the dealer replaced the door lock actuator. But it has been frustrating and I have less hair now.

:icon11: